Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'd sacrifice some articulation for the on road manners of IFS, every day.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Certainly enjoyed seeing the Bronco (and others) in action. Have to say that there is ZERO chance I'd do this to my Bronco on the second day of ownership, though.

The really interesting revelation in this video is around the kind of range one might be able to expect with a BEV (Rivian/Cybertruck...) for offroading. The Wrangle Rubicon 4xe with a 17kWh batter that got almost 27 miles of range on flat ground, ended up only getting 3.1 miles on a challenging trail. At that point it switched over to IC only, so no harm, no foul.

However, a BEV will ONLY have electric, and if this is even remotely representative (proportionately), then on the mid-level Rivian (you can get 105Kwh, 135kWh and 180kWh batteries) you would potentially only get about 25 miles of range. Unless there is a charger near where you are off-roading, that might not be a viable option.

Technology will improve the batteries, the efficiency of the vehicles, and there will be more chargers, but this looks (to me) like it has a little ways to go. Maybe when I'm ready for my next Bronco. ;)
Towing would significantly reduce range as well.

You could always haul a big ass generator in the back. But that seems to defeat the purpose. Or:

Ford Bronco TFL: 2021 Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender - Off-Road Trail Comparison Video Presentation1

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now it’s time to take the bronco and jeep up wheeler lake. Nice obstacles with some water fording if the creek is still going. Bowling ball hill should be fun!

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the Bronco made it too easy for them and that is why Tommy wanted to choose the harder lines. I didn't necessarily see anywhere the bronco couldn't fit. Tommy literally said I am trying to take the harder line on purpose when he smacked the lower control arm mount.

I think the Bronco struggled less than the jeep from what I can tell. The Jeep didn't have the clearance and was bouncing around. Overall I loved the video and I can't wait for more content like this with the Bronco.

I would like to see TFL take the Bronco on a ramp and see the RTI scores of the Jeep and Bronco. I don't see the 17% better articulation Ford claims but would like to see the comparison.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Some things i take away from the video

4. Why didnt he show ANY front camera/360 camera footage? hmmmm
They kept the video pretty short, probably for a couple reasons.

1. Attention span of many viewers is very short.

2. Keeping the video shorter allowed them to edit it quicker, and get it online sooner.

Sponsored

jrustyasl

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle: Honda VTX 1300
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’ll be cool if they do this again with 2 door bronco and a two door jeep. I feel a lot better about my two door non Sasquatch BL! Great video! Curious about how they will get that defender down, looking forward to part 2!

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was dead set on Badlands non squatch 33" tires only. Seeing how the 35" tires climbed over things easier, it has me second guessing my decision.

What swayed you to go the opposite direction?
I'm caught in between! Though not really as I have my VIN and couldn't change if I want, but this video made me appreciate the 35s. It just chewed the big obstacles up.

That said, the 33s with the added wheel travel they provide would be fun to see in this same scenario, and I'm sure would do very well.

Am I the only person with full 5G Verizon that can’t get videos to play on this website? Multiple browsers on my phone, none work.

Click YouTube? Immediately plays.
I always just click on the link at the top of the video that opens the YouTube app. Much easier and less frustrating.

I really like the idea of a PHEV. Electric only for most / all in town driving. Gas for when you need range and quick fuel ups on road trips.

However, I am worried it would not be a plesant or inexpensive long term ownership experience. As you said, you litterally have more things that could go wrong.
Seriously can't wait for a PHEV Bronco. I think it's the best option for my use case - a DD with a relatively short daily commute. Most days I could do all my driving in electric-only and never fire up the ICE. But I log some serious miles on the days I do travel, and want to have the ability to go wherever without fear of finding a charging station. Some day chargers will be ubiquitous enough for rural Kansas, but we aren't even close to there yet.

You can clearly see the bronco lift two wheels and sea/saw a bit as he goes over the obstacles while the Wrangler has all four still on the ground. Look with front and rear lockers it's not a huge deal as you still have good traction, but Ford claims 17% more articulation than the wrangler and that is clearly not the case.

On a side note, does anyone else think the defender looks grumpy with those hooded headlights? Not as bad as the 'angry jeep grill', but still....
Oh come on @North7 - the Jeep won the articulation shot:

Ford Bronco TFL: 2021 Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender - Off-Road Trail Comparison Video Presentation1

That said, a non-Squatch Badlands two door is the max articulation Bronco. It would be interesting to see that one on the same stretch.

@TFLtruck great choice on the trail. Not extreme crazy like Rubicon, but challenging from a road with rocks that can damage your rig standpoint.
Two thoughts on the articulation. I've wondered for some time if the rear wheel suspension articulates as easily (even if it technically has as much wheel travel) as the Jeep. Two, the pic above is close to fair - but it's not. They have slightly different lines and it makes a ton of difference. You can see the rear driver side wheel on the Jeep is higher up the slope - this immediately moves the passenger side of the Jeep down.

Not making an argument one way or the other, but to truly measure articulation you must have exactly identical wheel placement, and they don't have it here.

That said, I don't think there's any doubt the Wrangler appeared more nimble on this trail, though I'm not sure it's a substitute for the added clearance of the 35s. The first big obstacle on the trail was a huge differentiator for me - the Bronco chewed it up while the Defender definitely struggled and the Jeep was more challenged getting through it.

I'd love to see a Badlands on 33s go through there.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Oh come on @North7 - the Jeep won the articulation shot:

That said, a non-Squatch Badlands two door is the max articulation Bronco. It would be interesting to see that one on the same stretch.
Got it, that still shot explains it better, I'm no expert on articulation so I'm glad there are people with way more experience than me to learn from, thank you.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ha thanks! Wait till you see me drag that Defender down the mountain if you thought I was upset here 😮
Can't wait to see that video! Let us know when it's up!

Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2. Ford screwed up by claiming it had more articulation , if not just lied. Even in that one shot where you can clearly see that jeep has them beat , you can tell the jeep is planted to the ground and truely "crawling" along even with smaller tires. Where as the bronco is often on 3 wheels.
Yeah in real world articulation there is just no way it’s going to beat Jeeps solid axles.

That’s what people are failing to see here. Yes 35” tires are great but it kind of glossed over how ridged the Bronco looked.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some things i take away from the video

1. Off road electric cars are a gimmick and there will be massive lawsuits for false advertising. Until these things get 500+ mile batteries , they will be a liability on the trail. 1000 mile batteries until i buy an electric car at all that calls itself "off road". Honestly until battery tech improves you should stay away from all electric vehicles unless they have a generator on board to recharge them.

2. Ford screwed up by claiming it had more articulation , if not just lied. Even in that one shot where you can clearly see that jeep has them beat , you can tell the jeep is planted to the ground and truely "crawling" along even with smaller tires. Where as the bronco is often on 3 wheels.

3. Im glad i got the 2 door. Seems like those 16 inches will make a difference

4. Why didnt he show ANY front camera/360 camera footage? hmmmm
Did they every claim that? I thought they were being pretty clever to avoid those direct comparisons knowing an IFS could never compete with a SFA.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totally agree with you, but the EV guys will die on their hill, data be dammed.
Had a guy tell me he was getting 1700 miles per tank of gas in his 4xe...🙄🤣

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was dead set on Badlands non squatch 33" tires only. Seeing how the 35" tires climbed over things easier, it has me second guessing my decision.

What swayed you to go the opposite direction?
Ford Bronco TFL: 2021 Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender - Off-Road Trail Comparison Video 1627481514796

Yes... come join me @North7 . Join the Sasquatch Side of the Force and we will rule the mall parking lots... together!

CC: @ZackDanger

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Let's all set aside the comparisons for a bit and take in the best thing about this video:
Ford Bronco TFL: 2021 Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender - Off-Road Trail Comparison Video Screenshot_20210728-071115_YouTube

These two iconic vehicles off road together, doing what brings us all together: having a blast out in the wild where most folks fear to tread.
Almost makes me misty darn it...
Sponsored