First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure, the base price is artificially low for advertising purposes, so it is financially very sound comparatively, however... Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? My suggestion is to get what you want, don't worry about justifying it to anyone else.
Sponsored

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
No integrated brake controller, but I believe the tow package has 4 and 7-pin.
Ah, i missed that update. Still odd for it to have a Class II (but 2"?) and a 7-pin. Unsure what type of trailer/tow that can fall under a class II, has brakes that can utilize a 7 pin, but doesn't need a brake controller?

I'm just hoping the ford oem solution has the bolt-on kit and the plug package. That always looks cleaner than the 'universal' offerings.

Bronco_parts_03.jpg

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Build:

A SUMMARY OF YOUR ORDER IS OUTLINED BELOW.
Bronco BASE 2 Door:
•​
2.7L EcoBoost Engine​
•​
10-Speed Automatic Transmission​
•​
17" Black High Gloss-Painted Aluminum, with Warm Alloy Beauty Ring, Beadlock Capable Wheels​
•​
LT315/70R17 BSW Mud-Terrain (M/T) Tires(35")​
•​
Antimatter Blue Metallic Paint​
•​
Cloth Seats​
•​
Base Package​
•​
Sasquatch™ Package​

Does not include the switches, modular bumper with bull bar and skid plates. Deer country. Around 41000, getting it at invoice...

You can spend another 15-20 thousand and not have a more capable Bronco than me. But... I am building an Appalachian snow machine, not a rock crawler. We are all building the Broncos we need want and gotta have. Nothing but good will for anyone's build from me...
Nice build- You did see the $195 Aux switch video ?

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ah, i missed that update. Still odd for it to have a Class II (but 2"?) and a 7-pin. Unsure what type of trailer/tow that can fall under a class II, has brakes that can utilize a 7 pin, but doesn't need a brake controller?

I'm just hoping the ford oem solution has the bolt-on kit and the plug package. That always looks cleaner than the 'universal' offerings.

Ford Bronco The Case for a 2-Door BaseSquatch Bronco_parts_03
I have a small dump trailer with no brakes that uses a 7 pin to charge the battery for the hydraulic pump
I'm sure their are other setups also

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A goal of mine is hitting the 30k (or lower) price mark. That means 2-door manual base. A decade wheeling out west in the Rockies and some Moab with open diff vehicles, usually with 31" tires, proves I don't need Sas to get where I want to go. (Although Sas is a nice option for those who will actually use the capability.)

Not completely ruling out Sas - will see. As a non-early adopter, I'll be interested to see what folks do with their base-base models in terms of off-roading, and how well the IFS performs. If drivers are getting hung up due to lack of IFS travel, then lockers could take on greater importance.

Sponsored

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My thoughts for the most part, I ordered a basequatch v6, with the steel bumper/skid plates, aux switches, and a roof rack. I still came in under $41k. The only thing I wish I could’ve gotten is A51 color, but a vinyl wrap is a lot cheaper than upgrading to BB.

I avoided the factory rock rails because they are body mounted, I figure I’ll get a set of aftermarket frame mounted ones that integrate a step.

I went with the factory steel bumper because under $1k for a steel bumper and skid plates is still a pretty good deal (and heaven forbid, if I get in an accident, an oem bumper is less likely to tweak the frame). With the modular set up too, I suspect there will be some cool aftermarket accessory mounts for it that will be a good bit cheaper than an aftermarket bumper.

A BaseSquatch is almost a no brainer, but the choice hurt my brain. Same money as BB moderately equiped, but I ordered the non Squatch BB. I do some moderately tough trails, but:

I don't like the 35's, too wide, either unchainable or at least difficult.
Overall Width is 4" more than non Sas, so trails and my garage will be an issue.
I prefer 4.27's vs 4.70's although M210 would be nice.
My '05 Rubicon has 32's (and 4.11's) which are fine, but I might upgrade to 255 width 33's.
I seldom use the front locker on my Rubicon.
Trying to keep weight down to tow behind my RV.
Going up from Base gave me A51, nice grille, tint, sandstone interior & wheels I like.
In both Base and BB I get cloth which I prefer
I'm getting older and my trail nerve is getting shakier!
If you don’t mind me asking, where in CO do you expect to need chains on a Bronco? I drive in the mountains quite a bit year around and have never felt under equipped with a 4 wheel drive and a good set of ko2s, even better on newer trucks with traction control.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My thoughts for the most part, I ordered a basequatch v6, with the steel bumper/skid plates, aux switches, and a roof rack. I still came in under $41k. The only thing I wish I could’ve gotten is A51 color, but a vinyl wrap is a lot cheaper than upgrading to BB.

I avoided the factory rock rails because they are body mounted, I figure I’ll get a set of aftermarket frame mounted ones that integrate a step.

I went with the factory steel bumper because under $1k for a steel bumper and skid plates is still a pretty good deal (and heaven forbid, if I get in an accident, an oem bumper is less likely to tweak the frame). With the modular set up too, I suspect there will be some cool aftermarket accessory mounts for it that will be a good bit cheaper than an aftermarket bumper.

If you don’t mind me asking, where in CO do you expect to need chains on a Bronco? I drive in the mountains quite a bit year around and have never felt under equipped with a 4 wheel drive and a good set of ko2s, even better on newer trucks with traction control.
I don't use chains on road, just off road. Hunting season I have needed chains as often as not and that's with a Rubicon with 2 lockers. Chains are much more effective than the lockers on rough, steep trails with more than a few inches of snow, same for mud. Chains w/ a locker, well that's just real nice. I don't use the front locker often as it makes steering a real challenge.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't use chains on road, just off road. Hunting season I have needed chains as often as not and that's with a Rubicon with 2 lockers. Chains are much more effective than the lockers on rough, steep trails with more than a few inches of snow, same for mud. Chains w/ a locker, well that's just real nice. I don't use the front locker often as it makes steering a real challenge.
Good to know, thanks!

Most of my off-roading is in the summer months, but I was thinking about taking up hunting this year, so that is definitely something I should consider.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good to know, thanks!

Most of my off-roading is in the summer months, but I was thinking about taking up hunting this year, so that is definitely something I should consider.
This is big to me, hence my non Sas decision (as well as other considerations). I think there's no way you could (or would want to) chain up a sas with 315's.
Switching Sas to 285's might work on Sas wheels with the +30 offset. 285's on a BL probably would not work due to +55 offset, some dimensional 10.5x34's (like BFG KO2's) might work also. I'm going 255"s.

All that said most hunters don't chain. They either don't go on the rough stuff to get to their spot, or fight it in w/o chains. Our old spot required 4 chains to get to if there had even been a heavy dew in the morning. BTW we work hard to get to our camp and then park...there's nothing more annoying than road hunters!!

Mustang GTA

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Different strokes...For some, all the extra money stuff is simply not necessary.

Sponsored

96ExplorerSport

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great analysis OP. I was torn between 2dr Basequatch vs OutSquatch with Lux. I ordered a 2dr 2.7 black/roast cloth OutSquatch with Lux, roof rack, Aux, towing.
However, as a January 2021 reservation this doesn't seem like a commitment because I know my order will be a MY22. Choosing the $50k option was easy since I know the truck will never be built and may change my mind.

Here were the factors important to me:

Base - I STRONGLY prefer the exterior overall, base head and tail lights and grille. Better retro appearance IMHO and I am reading that it'll be very difficult to "downgrade" the head and tail lights from signature to base.
Also, if not squatching - I like the steelies and would be happy with them.
Biggest downsides of Base for me are (1) no additional sound deadening material (2) no upgraded sound system (3) I strongly prefer the roast cloth interior to the base interior.

OB - I want the roast cloth, wanted the lux upgraded sound system and high pkg "additional sound deadening" material. Heated steering wheel and phone charging is a nice plus too. I like the fog lights and additional safety features.
I am not crazy about the body-color door handles and the standard OB wheels are too flashy for me, so I feel forced to squatch to get the more rugged wheels and tires with OB.
Edit: I also don't like the look of the step and don't think I'll need it, but hopefully I can remove that and sell it easily enough?

What pushed me to order OutSquatch was a hope that it will be possible to downgrade from signature to base lights, and the grille should be easy enough to swap, so I could build the exterior to look the way I want. Doing the reverse to upgrade the Base interior (the dash more than the seats) seems difficult and I don't think I would be able to install additional sound deadening, or upgrade the sound systems myself very well.

Sill, when it comes time to re-order for 2022, I might switch to basesquatch. The simplicity of it appeals to me. Hopefully Ford won't increase the prices too much between 21 and 22...

Last edited:

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let's talk about the BaseSquatch.

First, this thread is not about arguing the BaseSquatch is "better" than your build. Everyone has their own specific preferences and needs that will determine what trim is best for them. I just want to spell out the pros and cons of getting a BaseSquatch, both for my own benefit and for other people who are looking for a highly capable value option. I'm going to do a rundown of what's missing on a BaseSquatch relative to higher-end trims and, where possible, how much it would cost for good aftermarket equivalents.

4Dr Base - 2.7L Sasquatch for me! What more does a man with kids need?

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...there's nothing more annoying than road hunters!!
Solo miners, way worse. All cagey, wild eyed and filthy. Paranoid that you're there to steal their gold. Plowing up the stream beds destroying the fishery... the worst.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So a Base Sasquatch gets what front and rear lockers ? I'm concerned about get jipped out on the good stuff .

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
You get front and rear lockers along with the bigger front diff.
Also the ring gears are not welded on the carrier (supposedly) so ratio changes don't require new carriers

This is what has pushed me to SaS
Sponsored