cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From MI. to SC. with my four door WT the cruise set at 75 with three people and the air on I got 18.5 mpg. Same sonerio on the way back to MI. but I set it on eco this time and I got 20.1 mpg.
Interesting, I wouldn't think the mode would make a difference on the highway. At top gear you're going to burn a certain amount of gas to push the Bronco through the air.

I am feelin' you on the price of gas here in CA. Be honest did you have a tail wind the whole way? 🤓
On a slightly differnet note, I stopped using Costco gas becuase it contains Ethanol. I thought I read somewhere to not use ethanol blended gas in the Bronco. Am I dreaming or is that the case?
Pretty much all gas has ethanol now. Unless you seek out ethanol free, you will find ethanol. And all vehicles for the last 20 years or so can handle 10%, so it won't hurt the bronco, but I'm not a fan of ethanol and wish they would get rid of it.

Wildtrak 4 door:

I have been playing with different grades of gas to see how it affects my gas mileage.

I just drove 150 miles from Houston to Austin, so half flat, half hills.

I filled up in Houston with 92 octane ethanol free gas (Bucees), because I had never seen ethanol free in Austin. Cruise set at 75, 21.3 MPG. It cost $0.70 more per gallon than 87 octane gas with ethanol but it was an interesting experiment. 87 octane would have been in the high 18s, maybe 19 depending on the wind. 93 super unleaded would have hit 20.
Ethanol is terrible for fuel mileage. Remember back around '06 or '07 when the EPA revised the way they tested for fuel mileage? They said they wanted to have more real world conditions like with the A/C on on such, and just about every vehicle out there had its EPA fuel mileage rating drop by 10%. While at the same time, they were starting to roll out 10% ethanol ;) I'll go get my tin foil hat now :D

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two door BL non Sasquatch. 21.4 mileage, but admittedly not being used as a commuter and running at 60 mph highway. 2.3 auto.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like a computer glitch to me. I haven't gotten more than about 325 so far with 14k miles driven, much of it highway.

Sponsored

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thought I'd never say this, but I wish I could pay CA gas prices right now. They're raking us over the coals here in AZ with most stations above the $5 mark. Gonna have to take out a 2nd mortgage for my next fillup!

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I once averaged low 20s in my BadSquatch on the way home from the pittsburgh airport. 60mph, hilly but not all downhill. As soon as I hit 70mph, the mileage dropped ;)
Man I drove that Altoona to Pittsburgh in heavy fog one day. I hope to never do that shit again. Damn near zero visibility at the bottom of those valleys.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
To get my 22.2 MPG I drive with a very light foot around town. Accelerate slowly, drive at a steady speed, use CC a lot. (It still accelerates fast LOL). I coast as much as possible to stops too and for the 5 minute long lights I let the auto shut off do its thing. On the highway I drive no more than 70. Regular 87 octane fuel. I used to run 89 octane at .75 more a gallon and no difference in the MPG. Some of you guys with manuals might do good with thrifty shifting.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thought I'd never say this, but I wish I could pay CA gas prices right now. They're raking us over the coals here in AZ with most stations above the $5 mark. Gonna have to take out a 2nd mortgage for my next fillup!
Jeez I don't know how you do it. Gas is 3.75 a gallon here in FL now and my Bronco is only used on weekends. I can't afford the fuel to drive it everyday to work and back. I drive GTI and it's bad enough in that!

Sponsored

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get 16.9 on my non-sas Badlands. No idea how anyone gets better without drive like a grandma. Heavier Everglades wheels and 35s going on this weekend. 15-16 mpg here I come!

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeez I don't know how you do it. Gas is 3.75 a gallon here in FL now and my Bronco is only used on weekends. I can't afford the fuel to drive it everyday to work and back. I drive GTI and it's bad enough in that!
It helps a ton that my work commute only involves a set of stairs. Only potential for traffic is dogs!

That being said, most of my driving during the week is either to the grocery store or to taxi my kid around to her stuff. If we don't go wheelin, I can get 2+ weeks out of a tank.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I average right around 18.7mpg with the 7MT and RWD on my non-SAS, but have gotten low 19s on a few tanks. My goal is a regular 20mpg, and I have a few ideas to make that happen, I might force myself to start using Eco to see if it actually helps. I'd also love to see what an axle-back, intercooler, and FP tune would do!

Last edited:

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wildtrak 4 door:

I have been playing with different grades of gas to see how it affects my gas mileage.

I just drove 150 miles from Houston to Austin, so half flat, half hills.

I filled up in Houston with 92 octane ethanol free gas (Bucees), because I had never seen ethanol free in Austin. Cruise set at 75, 21.3 MPG. It cost $0.70 more per gallon than 87 octane gas with ethanol but it was an interesting experiment. 87 octane would have been in the high 18s, maybe 19 depending on the wind. 93 super unleaded would have hit 20.
Damn good! You know I have startusing the cruise control and see what that does to my MPG.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It helps a ton that my work commute only involves a set of stairs. Only potential for traffic is dogs!

That being said, most of my driving during the week is either to the grocery store or to taxi my kid around to her stuff. If we don't go wheelin, I can get 2+ weeks out of a tank.
I am so envious. I have to drive 2 hours a day for work. So my time and 40 a week for gas in the GTI. And I have to gas up every 4 days. The Bronco would be a whopping 70 a week, 280 a month- like a car payment! At least I have 3 more years, then I retire and will drive the Bronco in town and to my favorite fishing spots......I'll need a part time job to feed it gas, LOL.
Sponsored