Sponsored

Thoughts: Air Compressor in Muffler Location?

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When looking at exhaust modifications, it appears that several of the solutions are basically muffler delete kits. Even on the larger 2.7, the sound doesn't appear to be loud enough to draw unwanted attention. If one were to do a muffler delete, that will open up a pretty big cavity under the bronco that looks to be well protected. I'm thinking an air compressor and a good size reservoir tank could easily fit under there then run an air fitting to the rear bumper or something.

I did search the forum first, but I did not see anyone mention this as a possible mounting location. Before I start looking at muffler deletes, air compressors and reservoirs.... Any obvious pitfalls to this approach that someone would care to point out?
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing. That's a huge space under there. Not only an air compressor but I think you could fit a full jack too. That's risky because when you need a jack that might be a back spot to get one out of.

I think you can unbolt the muffler just to see what it sounds like without one. If you like it then just get an extension made to route the exhaust away from the underside.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Friendswood as is Texas? If so, wouldn't you fail your testing?

BigRed13

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is what I've been planning out for overland camping. I'm not a huge fan of any of the exhaust kits out there for what I'm wanting to do and the sound of the ones that would work. My idea, and I'm not an exhaust engineer by any means so feel free to critique, put a good resonator in line under the cab, remove the muffler and either go straight our from the over the axle, or "Y" off at the muffler removal and do duals with the passenger side makign tis way around the new found space.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a great location for an air tank, but I personally wouldn’t put the compressor itself there, especially if you do much off-roading with mud holes and water crossing, because you’ll likely get muddy water in the filter inlets.

Sponsored
OP
OP
whmoorejr

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Friendswood as is Texas? If so, wouldn't you fail your testing?
As in emissions? Muffler doesn't effect emissions.... just volume. I haven't heard this in person, but from videos, a 2.7 with the flow master outlaw, Flowmaster Muffler Delete , sounds quieter than my F150 with a Magnaflow.

I think you are legally required to have a muffler, but I don't think it's part of the inspection and I know there isn't a decibel check.

OP
OP
whmoorejr

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s a great location for an air tank, but I personally wouldn’t put the compressor itself there, especially if you do much off-roading with mud holes and water crossing, because you’ll likely get muddy water in the filter inlets.
So then who makes an air compressor with a snorkel kit?

Excellent point Razorbak86. The location might be good for an auxiliary air tank.... but the compressor should be higher up.

OP
OP
whmoorejr

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rather use that space for an auxiliary fuel tank...
For Aux Fuel, you could go old school.... Just a plastic jug in the vehicle cabin behind the driver somewhere. :)

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Arb dual will fit above the oem muffler. It goes in front of it on the big flat spot.

I’ve been running a knock off arb dual in that spot for 6 months. No issues.

If you take the oem exhaust out you can fit a air tank in that location.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So then who makes an air compressor with a snorkel kit?

Excellent point Razorbak86. The location might be good for an auxiliary air tank.... but the compressor should be higher up.
ARB makes filter relocation kits. I posted about it in another thread, so that is an available option if you are intent on installing the compressor in the undercarriage.

ARB compressor filters are very simple — sintered bronze filter disks inside plastic filter housings — and they’re very easy to maintain.

1494F7E0-C317-4D56-8066-746D284B24B7.jpeg

Simply remove the filter cover from the filter housing to expose the sintered filter disk. Remove the disk and place it under running water for a quick and thorough cleaning. If the compressor is used often, best practice would be to clean the filter during every engine oil change.

And if the filter location is not ideal, simply relocate them back inside the cargo bay…

97CB9415-AE76-4FC5-834E-E4A63F522C65.jpeg

OP
OP
whmoorejr

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

...I’ve been running a knock off arb dual in that spot for 6 months. No issues.
What are you using?

What about the above concern (mounted low vs. puddles/mud holes)

OP
OP
whmoorejr

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ARB makes filter relocation kits.
I'm not set on the location... and I was half joking about a snorkel kit. I'm also torn between the advantages of a built-in system versus a portable something.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are you using?

What about the above concern (mounted low vs. puddles/mud holes)
Weird thing is, nothing hits that spot.

I have a legit Arb dual under the hood, second knock off was added for more flow/back up. Arb is 150psi cut off. Knock off is 100psi. Both are fed into a 3 gal air tank. Both have run at the same time for 6 months with no issue. Both get used multiple times a weekend.

Is the knock off as good as the Arb? Not sure. Have both run without issue? Yes.

$335 for the knock off. Or should say unbranded version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B088RFPRTM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Sponsored