Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been lucky enough to find and drive 3 different Broncos in my area with 3 different configurations and wanted to share my thoughts on all 3. I have been lurking and stalking the forums for quite awhile now and finally have something worth posting. I was all over the place on my build and hope this helps anyone that is in the same boat I was. I was mainly between an Outer Banks and a Badlands and settled on a loaded up Outer Banks after coming to the sad reality that I probably won't wheel as much as planned so decided on the more roadworthy OBX with the Advanced 4x4. I was mainly going back to the Badlands for the 7-speed option. I finally decided on the auto for ease of use with 2 kids, extra benefits of the auto like turn assist and remote start for those winter mornings in Michigan. My current daily driver is a 2012 Grand Cherokee and have always really liked its ride, handling and overall drivability. I also own 1966 International Scout that is on the different end of the spectrum of loud, wind noisy, slow braking, slow turnings, etc.

Anyway, without dragging on too long on me. Now the Broncos.

First I will give the Cliff notes for those that don't want to read it all:
-2.3 with manual was a bit slower than I was hoping
-2.3 with auto seemed to work better and seemed faster seat of the pants
-2.7 with auto scoots. Throws the hood in the air and gets you going
-Base stereo is unimpressive in a lot of ways
-B&O sound quite good though not the best I have heard
-Interior noise was very good with all top configurations I drove (Hard top w/ front panel removed, soft top up, soft top in position 1, soft top down) and a regular conversation was not hard to have
-Roast leather interior and Navy pier leather both looked better in person and personal preference is the biggest factor
-Road manners are very impressive all the way around and not surprisingly, best in the Outer Banks (I'm planning on 33"s right away)
-Steering felt like a modern vehicle
-All in all very happy and it felt like driving my Grand Cherokee which impressed me

The fist I drove was a 2 Door Outer Banks Sasquatch in Velocity Blue, MIC top, High Package, and 2.7. I never really considered the Sasquatch since this will be a daily driver but was thoroughly impressed with out it rode with the short wheelbase and wide, tall, stance. The 2.7 scoots even with the big tires and the ride was surprisingly compliant. I expected it to be all over the road, turn like a bread truck, and roar like a waterfall with the tire noise. Basically none of those things were the case. It tracked pretty evenly and handled quite nice. This one had the Navy Leather upgrade and I was confused that it didn't have a power seat as I thought it came with it. After some digging, I realized power seat only comes with Leather 4 door and not the 2 door. I never really considered the 2 door but never noticed that. I really like the look of the Navy leather and it made it tougher for me to decide between the Navy and Roast for my OBX. Comfy seats, tight leather unlike some pics we've seen, and overall a good place to be. The big screen is amazing as many have commented as well. Loved the commanding view from the seat and out over the road sitting high on the Sasquatch. Road noise was quite minimal inside with the 1st section of the hardtop removed. Equal to or less than a moonroof being open. Base sound system leaves something to be desired. I was hoping it would be good enough to make me regret the B&O but it didn't. In my eyes, it would need an upgrade from Crutchfield if you are into music at all. Overall first impressions of the Bronco were very good at this point. Better than I thought actually.
Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210707_112212
Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210707_121449
Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210707_112204

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210707_112708

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210707_112644

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210707_112808

Second drive was a 4 door Black Diamond with the 2.3 7 speed combo. Perfect, this is what I was interested in so great to be able to drive it. It also helped make my decision easier. I won't say it was a dog but it is definitely for those that just want to cruise around, play in the dirt or want the nostalgia of a stick. This actually disappointed me and made my decision for the auto much easier. It also made the big motor an easier decision. Driving it after driving the 2.7 probably didn't help that opinion either. Once the turbos spooled, it was fine but getting there was not expeditious. Obviously after driving it for a bit more, you would realize the sweet spots for shifting and that would probably help quite a bit but it definitely made me think that if I went with that combo, I would be shopping for a tune (which in fairness was already a thought). Driving with the soft top was also quite quiet from what I expected and didn't feel it was a huge penalty and wind noise and flapping was kept to a minimum from the top. Unfortunately, I didn't' really get any pics as I was on a time frame and was only caring about the drive.

I was able to park my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo next to a Big Bend as well for comparison Length was almost identical and overall it sits about 4-6 inches taller on the hood and roofline. It was nice to be able to compare them side by side.

The final drive was the most important to me as it was an Outer Banks, Carbonized Gray, Soft Top, 2.3 with Lux and Roast leather interior. This is basically the build I am doing except it was lacking the Advanced 4x4, had the 2.3 and wasn't Velocity Blue. It was so nice to drive something that is so close to the build I have and really, the engine size was the only thing that mattered for a short drive. My take: I an thrilled with my build and thrilled with the way the OBX drove. I figured going from a Grand Cherokee to anything with a soft top and built more for off-road would be a lot of compromise and a penalty box. It was anything but. I loved the way it drove. Very impressive on road manners for something that can tackle quite a bit off road as well. The noise was amazing low at 50-60 with the top up, top down, or top in position 1 back. Easy to have a conversation while driving and not have to yell. My wife who drove a Bronco sport a couple months ago came across thinking it was cheap and chintzy inside and wasn't impressed with the drive so came in with low expectations and was completely impressed with the Bronco. Its nots the best we have seen or been in but completely acceptable and nice for what it is. The B&O was very good as well and I'm glad I decided to go with it. Its not the best I have ever heard (our 15 speaker Harman Kardan in our minivan crushes it) but was very good and only had to run 55-60% max volume with roof off at 60 to have it loud enough. Again, for a vehicle like this, its very good.

I debated the interior colors of leather for quite a while so it was nice seeing both. I still like both and would be happy but I liked the blue accents on the roast that will pair up with my Velocity Blue exterior. The color is more dark brown then it is orange in some of the photos I have seen and seems to have a nice richness to it. I actually like the bronze dash better in person as well. The 2.3L motor in this one paired with the Automatic was much more impressive then with the manual and almost had me second guessing my decision to go big motor. I truly feel it would be a fine motor to have a small tune would probably make it even better. I don't want to mess with my build again at this point so I'll stick with the big motor but might decide different had I driven this combo before. I think the automatic must make the difference here and just work better.

Overall takeaways from the 3 I drove. A great vehicle that will continue to be a hit and continue to get better. I am more excited now to get mine and think you will to. I think the auto 2.3 is good option for most and although I love a manual, it just didn't cut it as well as the auto did. The 2.7 is a different realm and is more than enough. I'm thinking with bigger tires, the bigger motor would be helpful too.

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210704_102325

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210704_102310

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210704_102659

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210704_102744

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 3 Broncos driven and pics next to my Grand Cherokee 20210704_102707
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Excellent write up Brian. Thanks. I'm trying to find one I can drive now, but that are fairly sparse on the ground around me.

OP
OP
ScoutandBronco

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent write up Brian. Thanks. I'm trying to find one I can drive now, but that are fairly sparse on the ground around me.
Thank you! Good luck. We have been lucky enough to have lots around. It certainly helps to solidify things if you are between different options.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good write up and nice mix of models and options. Although I already took delivery of mine 2.7 auto), I have been curious about the manual. We are headed to off-roadeo in two weeks, hopefully I get my chance there.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you! Good luck. We have been lucky enough to have lots around. It certainly helps to solidify things if you are between different options.
Like you we're going with the OBX. Stayed with that trim from the get go. We finally settled on the colors, and options a month or so ago. Just waiting on the call when the '22 order banks open so we can change the things we decided against. I don't even look for it to arrive until mid/late summer of next year. And even that may be wishful thinking with the way things are going. I just hope the day will come, very soon, when something clicks and they start rolling off the line with some kind of regularity.

Sponsored

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@ScoutandBronco Have you sat in a Bronco cloth seat yet? I've sat in leather and MGV and trying to get an understanding on if the cloth is as comfortable as leather. The MGV felt soft but like you were sitting on top of the seat, whereas the leather felt like you sank in it a bit more and were sitting in the seat.. if that makes sense.. trying to gauge if the cloth is very firm or has some give that would make it comfortable .

OP
OP
ScoutandBronco

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good write up and nice mix of models and options. Although I already took delivery of mine 2.7 auto), I have been curious about the manual. We are headed to off-roadeo in two weeks, hopefully I get my chance there.
That was my original plan but not sure I would want it now after driving it. Again, mainly for daily driving, added auto options for me and wrangling 2 kids so I had a few reasons pushing me Auto anyway.

OP
OP
ScoutandBronco

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like you we're going with the OBX. Stayed with that trim from the get go. We finally settled on the colors, and options a month or so ago. Just waiting on the call when the '22 order banks open so we can change the things we decided against. I don't even look for it to arrive until mid/late summer of next year. And even that may be wishful thinking with the way things are going. I just hope the day will come, very soon, when something clicks and they start rolling off the line with some kind of regularity.
Agreed! I switched a few things such as top and hitch to try and get it a bit sooner. I wasn't sure which top I wanted so this will give me time to figure it out and let them work out the bugs. No idea on my build so we'll see.

OP
OP
ScoutandBronco

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@ScoutandBronco Have you sat in a Bronco cloth seat yet? I've sat in leather and MGV and trying to get an understanding on if the cloth is as comfortable as leather. The MGV felt soft but like you were sitting on top of the seat, whereas the leather felt like you sank in it a bit more and were sitting in the seat.. if that makes sense.. trying to gauge if the cloth is very firm or has some give that would make it comfortable .
I haven't. Just MGV and leather. I went to a dealer showing a while back and both had leather. I was hoping to try the cloth too. I agree and felt the MGV was more taut and didn't allow you in as much. Might change as it breaks in. The MGV was another reason I was looking heavy at the BL. When it was all said and done the $3k saved switching to the OBX got me pretty much everything I wanted and will allow mods in the future.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the comparo. I'm still feeling pretty good about the 2.3/7MT, I'm not looking for a racecar, but it is disappointing it doesn't feel peppier than the auto, which has always been my experience with otherwise equal builds of other models.

Sponsored

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can’t imagine how an auto could feel peppier than a manual with the same engine. I’ll take you’re word for it until I can try for myself. Regardless of the tenths of a second quicker the auto might shift, I would think being able to have complete control of shift points would be a much more rewarding experience.

Also, having the 2.7 on a 2dr vs 2.3 on a 4dr isn’t exactly an apples to apples comparison. The Black Diamond is also heavier than the Big Bend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScoutandBronco

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the comparo. I'm still feeling pretty good about the 2.3/7MT, I'm not looking for a racecar, but it is disappointing it doesn't feel peppier than the auto, which has always been my experience with otherwise equal builds of other models.
Agreed. I could have been skewed after driving the 2.7 first. It wasn't deathly slow. I was just hoping for more. Probably similar to the Wrangler w/ stick too. The dealer I am working with had a salesman that has a 2.3l manual and after talking with him, he said its find around town and he is planning the tune in the future. All depends on the usage.

JTsGarage

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for your thoughts. I enjoyed reading. You have good taste in vehicles. That 2012 Grand Cherokee has no business still looking that good almost a decade later. Timeless design.

OP
OP
ScoutandBronco

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can’t imagine how an auto could feel peppier than a manual with the same engine. I’ll take you’re word for it until I can try for myself. Regardless of the tenths of a second quicker the auto might shift, I would think being able to have complete control of shift points would be a much more rewarding experience.
I would agree it shouldn't. I don't know if the auto just does a good job of keeping it in the right power band or I was skewed from the 2.7 driven before it. I also only got a short drive with the 7spd and quite honestly, have never driven a stick with a turbo before so I may have been a slight part of the problem. Just seemed that way to me. You're right the 2 dr 2.7 vs 4 dr 2.3 could have skewed too. The 2.3 7spd vs 2.3 auto were both 4 doors however. Me, like many, would have no decision to make if there was a 2.7 with the 7spd.

OP
OP
ScoutandBronco

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for your thoughts. I enjoyed reading. You have good taste in vehicles. That 2012 Grand Cherokee has no business still looking that good almost a decade later. Timeless design.
Thank you and I agree. I still think it looks better then a lot of SUV's on the road. Amazing. They really nailed the design.
Sponsored