Sponsored

Tire size question for the OBX community (Toyo vs General vs Falken)

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've posted quite a bit on tires and hopefully this is the last before I make a purchasing decision, but I think I'm about at the decision point. However, I wanted to question the OBX community on tire size, based on their current setups. I'm riding a non-sas OBX, and am between three final tire selections to purchase:
  • 275/65/18 Toyo AT3 (C Load)
  • 285/65/18 Falken Wildpeaks (SL Load)
  • 275/70/18 General Grabber ATX (SL Load)
Ultimately, I'm looking to choose a tire that (1) fills out the tire well noticeably better than the stock Duelers, and (2) is somewhat durable for occasional off-road driving in Colorado. To specify, I don't do any serious crawling or off-roading - I've been using SL tires for the past 2 years. I prefer the the C load more for peace of mind depending where I'm at.

While I'm leaning towards the Toyos, my biggest concern is that the 275/65 might still appear small on the OBX even with a more aggressive sidewall/tread pattern. Similarly, I've seen some posts on the forum that the 285/65 might look a little funky without a level/lift for my Bronco. Does anyone have experience testing out these tire sizes on their non-Sas Bronco?

Though I understand 275/70/18 is by far the most popular way to go - my hesitation is just that the Grabbers are personally my least favorite (at least aesthetically) of the 3 tires above...

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.
Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've posted quite a bit on tires and hopefully this is the last before I make a purchasing decision, but I think I'm about at the decision point. However, I wanted to question the OBX community on tire size, based on their current setups. I'm riding a non-sas OBX, and am between three final tire selections to purchase:
  • 275/65/18 Toyo AT3 (C Load)
  • 285/65/18 Falken Wildpeaks (SL Load)
Though I understand 275/70/18 is by far the most popular way to go - my hesitation is just that the Grabbers are personally my least favorite (at least aesthetically) of the 3 tires above...

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.
The Grabbers (albeit in 265/70-17 for me) are the best non-dedicated winter tires I have ever driven in the winter, even better than a set of Hankook iPike's I used to have on my Xterra. Not as good as Blizzaks or Hakkapeliittas, but good enough I will run them one more winter (I have 285/70-17 MT's for the summer now.) Good on the highway, good on the trail, and good in the wet as well.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have no problem with the oem size 255/70 18 filling put the wheel well.

Two optional tires for you to consider, while I have had decent experience with the Generals, I have had better results with Continentals. Terrain Contact A/T compares favorably with the Grabbers (according to tirerack.com) But a real contender is Cooper Discover Road +Trail AT which at higher load and speed ratings.

If you have a local shop that sells Msstercraft their tires are well performing g less expensive alternatives.

Caveat: both Cooper and Mastercraft are currently Goodyear brands but operate independently

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m running 275/65r18 Toyo AT3 on non sas OBX. No tread noise, wider tire looks proportional to wheel wells. My decision to go with this size was to keep weight closer to stock and so speedometer stays same. Tire poke is still inside flares.

452A4E72-79BD-4116-B942-AFE62AFB44A6.jpeg

D8080527-B289-45F8-996F-8177480940F7.jpeg

40F5B3F8-9FC7-474E-8AFA-872E89726E2D.jpeg

cape2267

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi, although not listed in your final 3, a few weeks ago I went with Cooper Rugged Trek on non-sas OBX - 275 65 18 - and they are great. They measure out at 32.5 inches so are slightly bigger than stock but not quite 33's. there is no road noise to speak of (at least not that can be heard over the wind noise from the top) and have an aggressive and deep (16/32) tread pattern. They are P rated but I only do mild off-roading such as fire roads to some fishing spots etc so will serve me fine. Shop said they were very easy to balance and hardly required any weights at all. They replaced Cooper AT34S which were also a good tire but not as aggressive a tread pattern as the Rugged Trek. I can provide pics if interested.

Sponsored

rpaluch1

Outer Banks
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Non SAS OBX 26570R18 Falken Wildpeak. Went with a Raceline Wheel pushed the tire out 18mm from the stock offset and made for a more aggressive look. I changed flares for the winter and will put the stock ones back on soon. Double check before you go with a 285 on stock wheels to make sure you have clearance with suspension travel especially on a lock to lock turn.

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

Rob_Broncowski

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX, Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not the best images due to the poor weather today but this should give you an idea of what the Grabbers look like on an OBX with stock wheels and suspension.

PXL_20240418_212458605.jpg

PXL_20240418_212516106.jpg
Sponsored