Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After about 1.5 years of driving with the stock tires on my non-sas OBX, I'm finally deciding to upgrade my tires ahead of the Colorado Winter.

Currently I'm looking to upgrade to 275/70/18 tires as to avoid the cost/hassle of replacing the stock 18 inch rims (I really wish OBX had 17...). Due to the smaller available inventory for 18 inch rims, I was curious if anyone here has had any experience/thoughts on the following items:

-Load Range: I see most tires at 275/70/18 have a load range of E. Though I'm in Colorado, most of my off-roading involves gravel paths and more open fields for camping, as opposed to true crawling or more involved off-roading activities. Based on what I've seen I feel C makes the most sense, but due to limited options I plan to stick with SL for the General Grabber AT/X. Has anyone had problems using SL tires for relatively limited off-road use?

-Size: I decided on 275/70/18 after reading through many posters on the board. However, I just saw a post on here with someone who successfully installed 295/70/18 on a non-sas OBX. If I plan to still use my Bronco for limited off-roading (and will be driving on ice/snow for 5-6 months out of the year), would anyone here recommend I go bigger than 275?

-Offset: I embarrassingly admit I really don't know much on this topic. Anything I need to know going from 255 to 275?

Appreciate any insight you all might be able to give.
Sponsored

Last edited:

amurphy9276

Outer Banks
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I too have a Non-SAS OBX. I used to sell rims and tires. I put on a 2inch lift and I got rid of the stock rims and am upgrading to bigger tires. I did keep the 18 inch diameter though. So last October I was lucky enough to go through Ford Performance Racing School in Utah hosted by Michelin. We got to drive new Bronco's through everything but snow. I believe 275 70 18 is the biggest you can go. The ones I've seen running 295 70 18's have a lift on it. Going from 255 to 275 the tire is about and inch taller and 3/4 of an inch wider. Now I'm in Texas. Down here the bigger and the meatier the tire the better. That being said on any vehicle that I am taking offraod, through fields or anything like that I am choosing a 10 ply tire which is usually an E rating. I've had to many thorns and things go through 4 ply tires and just to have to replace them. That being said 275 is a good size. I would go with E rating (minimum 10 ply). Also, after that school and talking with the guys that put on the class the BF Goodrich TA K02 were always in the top 3 in each category. Most of those guys have them in their personals in Utah because of their year round performance. General is a good Tire just look at your other options. I'm a fan of TA K02 and I'm a fan of Hercules Terra Trac X-Venture for year round all around usage.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do NOT go load range E, they will ride like shit.

A SL/P rated tire will suit you well, unless you offroad in Colorado rock gardens.

If you do go offroad, and I do not mean gravel roads, then go with a C.

Duratracs are loved for their snow performance, but I've never owned a set.

I rock Firestone Destination AT2, which are Three Peak Mountain Snowflake rated and are wonderful on-road.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd check FB market place/craigslist for a set of Badlands take-offs (33"/ 3 peak). You may find a set for $1000-1500, then sell your set for $150-300. This may save you money up front, but certainly opens up options going forward.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I too have a Non-SAS OBX. I used to sell rims and tires. I put on a 2inch lift and I got rid of the stock rims and am upgrading to bigger tires. I did keep the 18 inch diameter though. So last October I was lucky enough to go through Ford Performance Racing School in Utah hosted by Michelin. We got to drive new Bronco's through everything but snow. I believe 275 70 18 is the biggest you can go. The ones I've seen running 295 70 18's have a lift on it. Going from 255 to 275 the tire is about and inch taller and 3/4 of an inch wider. Now I'm in Texas. Down here the bigger and the meatier the tire the better. That being said on any vehicle that I am taking offraod, through fields or anything like that I am choosing a 10 ply tire which is usually an E rating. I've had to many thorns and things go through 4 ply tires and just to have to replace them. That being said 275 is a good size. I would go with E rating (minimum 10 ply). Also, after that school and talking with the guys that put on the class the BF Goodrich TA K02 were always in the top 3 in each category. Most of those guys have them in their personals in Utah because of their year round performance. General is a good Tire just look at your other options. I'm a fan of TA K02 and I'm a fan of Hercules Terra Trac X-Venture for year round all around usage.
I went with 275/65R18 Toyo AT3's.

Standard load rating
Same OD as stock - no speedo recal
1" wider than stock and looks 1000x better

I wouldn't go past 275 width on a stock setup IMO. My tires just kiss the front sway bar at full lock so I'd imagine the 295's would rub much more unless the offset was changed.

General does a 275/70R18 Grabber in standard load range if you're looking 33".

Sponsored

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

A SL/P rated tire will suit you well, unless you offroad in Colorado rock gardens.

I rock Firestone Destination AT2, which are Three Peak Mountain Snowflake rated and are wonderful on-road.
I disagree with you on the Load Range E riding like trash

for years I ran LRE 235 85 R16 on my 1000lb lighter first gen xterra without any issues at all

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
C makes the most sense, but as you note, there is one C rated tire available for every 80 E rates.

I hate SL/P tires. Soft and prone to puncture. I've had them go flat driving over a twig or cholla spine.

Had E rated tires on my Expedition, and drove with a screw in the right front for around 6 months before I bothered to get it patched.

The E rated on the Expy also improved the ride since they were stiffer, so less "wallow" around corners.

OP
OP

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the information. KO2 was 100% my first choice, but the E load definitely seems a bit overboard for what I'm needing. I hear back and forth as to what using that means for the ride relative to an SL/P 4-ply. But obviously a trade-off considering durability.

OP
OP

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Very helpful - appreciate the advice. I've had the car for 1.5 years with relatively limited off-roading use, primarily for (1) camping or (2) access to more remote hiking spots within the area. Seems that would fit the category for not real "off roading", but also understand any trail that has a rogue sharp rock may mean a bad day for the SL tires.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the information. KO2 was 100% my first choice, but the E load definitely seems a bit overboard for what I'm needing. I hear back and forth as to what using that means for the ride relative to an SL/P 4-ply. But obviously a trade-off considering durability.
If you plan any offroading at all I really think you want an LT tire C at least.

Sponsored

amurphy9276

Outer Banks
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I disagree with you on the Load Range E riding like trash

for years I ran LRE 235 85 R16 on my 1000lb lighter first gen xterra without any issues at all
I'm with you. Never had an issue with E tires riding like trash. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with a tire rating as much as a crap tire.

Jfman

Base
First Name
jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
Personnally I am going to have a dedicated 18in snow/winter tire set.

Going for non-LT true snow tires. They dont comes in 275/70/18, have to settle for 275/65/18 or 265/70/18.

I plan to buy Blizzak or Xice CUV/SUV tires that are much lighter than LT tires and are 4 ply vs 8 or 10 ply for LT tires..

They shoould provide better compliance and grip and the lighter package should also save a little bit of fuel over LT's

I do not off road in the winter.

BTW: I was in Colorado last week and there are many set of spare OEM wheels for sale cheap in your state.
Sponsored

Last edited: