First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OB 2.7 Lux Non Sas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Newbie to the truck scene after years of family SUV’s. Just took delivery of my 23 OBX non SAS 4dr 2.7 Lux. Love it but definitely want to upgrade the tires to something more aggressive. I’ve read through the forums here and there’s a lot of information so hoping the community can help point me in the right direction/validate what I want to do.

I’ve always liked a wide tire and hoping an upgrade will bring a nice, stable ride with good cornering. So far I’m not loving the way the OBX corners on the stock tires. This will be used 99% of the time on pavement for city and highway driving but I’d like to give off roading a try. Haven’t ever done it before.

I don’t mind giving it a 1.5” lift. I’d love to keep the crash bars if an upgrade will fit with only the lift but open to removing them if it’s the right way to do this.

I’m thinking the Falken Wildpeaks or Toyo Open Country 315/70/17 are the ideal choice, and I’d pick up some take off wheels from a BL or WT while hoping to sell my OBX wheels and tires. Appreciate any advice of one tire over the other though I think it’s pretty subjective.

So this is where I want to understand if I’m getting the benefit I’m hoping for and the right way to achieve it.
  1. Will the 315’s give a nicer, stable ride compared to the stock OBX tires? Especially if I go to a C rated tire? What about compared to 305’s or 285’s?
  2. With such a wider tire what kind of an offset would I need to avoid rubbing? I am really not a fan of poke so want to keep things in line with the flares as much as possible.
  3. If I do the lift will I need to remove the crash bars?
  4. Can I get the same or close to it if I went with a wide 33” tire? And if so is there any way to keep using the stock rims or are they too narrow?
Appreciate thoughts here. Definitely still learning about all of this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FYI, your OBX wheels are worth scrap price. I got a 2nd set for free to powdercoat after the previous owner couldn't sell them. His tires sold quickly.

rpaluch1

Outer Banks
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Newbie to the truck scene after years of family SUV’s. Just took delivery of my 23 OBX non SAS 4dr 2.7 Lux. Love it but definitely want to upgrade the tires to something more aggressive. I’ve read through the forums here and there’s a lot of information so hoping the community can help point me in the right direction/validate what I want to do.

I’ve always liked a wide tire and hoping an upgrade will bring a nice, stable ride with good cornering. So far I’m not loving the way the OBX corners on the stock tires. This will be used 99% of the time on pavement for city and highway driving but I’d like to give off roading a try. Haven’t ever done it before.

I don’t mind giving it a 1.5” lift. I’d love to keep the crash bars if an upgrade will fit with only the lift but open to removing them if it’s the right way to do this.

I’m thinking the Falken Wildpeaks or Toyo Open Country 315/70/17 are the ideal choice, and I’d pick up some take off wheels from a BL or WT while hoping to sell my OBX wheels and tires. Appreciate any advice of one tire over the other though I think it’s pretty subjective.

So this is where I want to understand if I’m getting the benefit I’m hoping for and the right way to achieve it.
  1. Will the 315’s give a nicer, stable ride compared to the stock OBX tires? Especially if I go to a C rated tire? What about compared to 305’s or 285’s?
  2. With such a wider tire what kind of an offset would I need to avoid rubbing? I am really not a fan of poke so want to keep things in line with the flares as much as possible.
  4. Can I get the same or close to it if I went with a wide 33” tire? And if so is there any way to keep using the stock rims or are they too narrow?

As a fellow OBX owner non SAS you have a decision to make. Your truck has 18 “ 0 offset wheels. Not much is available that will look good in a wider tire because of 0 offset. 17 would be a good choice. However I purchased new wheels in 18” with 36570R18 Falken Wildpeak tires. I attached a couple of pics so you can see the stance differential. I could have gone as large as 385 but they would have been past the flares. Also no one wants our 18” OBX wheels. Sold mine for scrap for $100 for 5. You may have luck with the tires as they will fit a Ford Ranger. Good luck.

IMG_1147.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As a fellow OBX owner non SAS you have a decision to make. Your truck has 18 “ 0 offset wheels. Not much is available that will look good in a wider tire because of 0 offset. 17 would be a good choice. However I purchased new wheels in 18” with 36570R18 Falken Wildpeak tires. I attached a couple of pics so you can see the stance differential. I could have gone as large as 385 but they would have been past the flares. Also no one wants our 18” OBX wheels. Sold mine for scrap for $100 for 5. You may have luck with the tires as they will fit a Ford Ranger. Good luck.
So much is wrong about your post.

To the OP, your stock wheels are +55 offset. If you want to keep the crash bars and keep the tires tucked in, then you will be looking at 33's. If you don't want to keep your wheels, then look at 17" wheels as that diameter will have the largest selection of tires to choose from. If you want to keep the +55 offset, you can get a set of takeoffs from a non Sasquatch Bronco. There is also Ford Performance with wheel choices.

amurphy9276

Outer Banks
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a non SAS Bronco. To get bigger and wider wheels you're gonna need a spacer or wheels without a +55 offset. I just ordered new wheels with a +18. I also am doing a 2 inch spacer lifylt and throwing on 35x12.50R18's. I haven't ordered the tires yet buy lift and wheels are supposed to be here today.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you're 99% highway with your OBX, I highly recommend the moderate choice I made: 33" Badlands (Non-SAS) take-offs. I bought a set of Ford 17x8, +55 offset wheels from a Badlands owner, and installed a set of Nitto Nomad Grappler 285/70R17 tires. This Nitto line is marketed to small SUVs, but Nitto markets the 285 size as a replacement for some of its other 285 (33") sizes. The load capacity is about 250# higher per tire than the OBX OEM 18" tire. Several conversations with a Nitto engineer convinced me to give it a try.

These 33's ride smooth and quiet, stick to the road in corners and have great tread for the beach. On Stslate highway trips I got 22mpg with the stock 18" tires, I now get 20mpg. Dimensions: compated to 255/70R18, this tire is almost 2"wider and about .6" higher, standing 32.8" high.

Ford Bronco Wider Tires Upgrade on OBX non SAS 20230920_165405

Ford Bronco Wider Tires Upgrade on OBX non SAS 20230509_125037

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco Wider Tires Upgrade on OBX non SAS IMG_0718
Ford Bronco Wider Tires Upgrade on OBX non SAS IMG_0722
Ford Bronco Wider Tires Upgrade on OBX non SAS IMG_0720

285s with +30

FoCoBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, X3, MDX, Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Stock wheels will support a 295/70R18 tire as the widest option and 285/75R18 as the tallest option. Your width is mostly limited by the 7.5" wheel and the manufacturer approved sizing. You'd probably need a slight lift to accommodate either. Plenty of pics on here and videos on youtube show how it looks. One example below.

275/70R18 will be the 33" that fits your wheel with no need for a lift. This seems to be the most common 33" option with an 18" wheel since almost every tire manufacturer stocks it. I'm leaning this way for my next set. Toyo AT3 has treated me well thus far though of course I'm being tempted by the Toyo R/T and M/T.

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just picked up a set of take off Badlands wheels/tires and am happy with the results. Tires aren't as wide as you're looking for but plenty for my needs. Far cheaper option than going out and getting something else. Look in the sale ads here and Craigslist and you should be able to find a set of 5 someone is looking to sell.

IMG_3596.jpeg

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2021 Bronco OBX 2.7 advanced 4x4 running Milestar Patagonia M/T 295/70R17 (33.5") on RTR Tech 6 rims 17x9 +30 offset. No lift, no removal of crash bars, no rubbing.

IMG_20220910_181155.jpg

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wider tires suck in the snow.

DKG

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Watching…..

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

275 70 18 +20 offset . Rear compared to front that has stock wheel on
Ford Bronco Wider Tires Upgrade on OBX non SAS IMG_5463

OP
OP

RexAd

Outer Banks
First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OB 2.7 Lux Non Sas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for all the advice. I’m thinking more about keeping the stock rims if I can fit 295/70/18 on them with a small lift and/or removing the crash bars.

2 questions hoping y’all can answer.

1. what’s the negative impact on putting the wider tire on those stocks given their 7.5” width? Is it less stable or agile to the point where I’d be better off with a 8.5 or 9” wheel (and at that point get the 17’s)?

2. what’s the ride difference of an E rated tire (Falken 295’s) vs a C rated (Falken 315’s). Most of what I’m reading says the softer tire will ride smoother and absorb road bumps better but what’s the noticeable difference between the 2?
Sponsored