Sponsored

Tow capacity will keep me from switching...

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's a full size truck that is still considerably larger and heavier than the 4 door Bronco, what did you expect? 8000 pound is actually below average for a truck of its class.
Yes I agree that it's a full size truck and modern half tons tow ridiculous amounts these days so 8000lbs is considered low for one. I'm just saying that if Raptor suspension can still handle 8000lbs then I'm disappointed that the base HOSS suspension is limited to 3500. The Bronco is a purpose-built off-road vehicle and no one should really have expected the same TC as the Ranger, but 3500 is still disappointing.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With increased towing capacity you are going to decrease off-road capability with a stiffer suspension stabilizer etc... you have to ask yourself what are you truly looking for
I'm asking for the base HOSS suspension to be able to handle 5-6000lbs. Not the upgraded suspension on the Sasquatch (and is it different on the Badlands too??). That/those suspension(s) I think everybody would be perfectly happy with having a reduced TC due to their incredible travel and articulation.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would be willing to bet that Ford knows what they are doing. Their goal is to beat the Wrangler, and a major sticking point where they could easily win over new customers is in the towing capacity.

Because lets be honest, 90% of wranglers sold are in the 4 door version at a sacrifice to off road capability. For most of us, it is just more convenient for families and hauling gear to have the 4 door version. Adding a higher towing capacity just increases the utility even further and could win over more customers.

If you really are serious about off road driving, you will get the 2 door and be perfectly happy that you can't tow much. For the rest of us, a slightly higher towing capacity on the 4 door with a small sacrifice to off road capability is a trade I would be willing to make. I think ford knows this and it will be an option.

The Ranger is listed with a max capacity of 3500 lb towing capacity until you add the optional towing package which bumps it to 7500. If I had to guess, I would think the numbers currently listed are the Max base capacity with the standard class II hitch package. They may not be fully done testing to SAE standards yet and final towing package numbers with the upgraded package are hopefully on their way. I would be willing to bet that adding the full towing package to the 4 door could bump it up to 4500 or 5000. Because lets be real, if the much smaller Jeep Cherokee Trail hawk with a 109 inch wheel base can tow 4500 and be half decent off road, there is no reason the bronco can't at least match that number. I don't think most of us are expecting unrealistic truck like towing numbers, but 4,500 to 5,000 doesn't seem like too much to ask and could be free ticket to winning over a lot of current jeep wrangler owners.
This right here has all the truthiness ☝

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand that between the raptor and my truck due to the soft suspension which raptor guys have been able to overcome. 90% of these Broncos are going to be pavement princesses with and occasional forrest or fire road. 1% rock crawlers and the other 9% will be on the same trails that I do in my truck and grand cherokee. There isn't any trail that I can think of that the 4dr badlands in stock form will be capable of doing that my truck or grand cherokee right now cant or doesn't do. Wife is getting the Bronco because she enjoys wheeling her GC and loves my wrangler. But I’ll be damned if Im spending 55k on the bronco to then leave it at home on our trips or having to take 2 vehicles + the camper because they cant bump it another 1500lbs so it can tow a 3400lb camper. The camper itself is just as capable as the bronco when being towed on trails.

oh and I also wheel both the truck and GC on 20” wheels and air down to 18psi which people say is bad and no way capable, but here we are, 3yrs later and zero damage to either vehicle or their tires and 35-40 different trails out west and the southwest.

Pepin10

Base
First Name
Pepin10
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would be willing to bet that Ford knows what they are doing. Their goal is to beat the Wrangler, and a major sticking point where they could easily win over new customers is in the towing capacity.

Because lets be honest, 90% of wranglers sold are in the 4 door version at a sacrifice to off road capability. For most of us, it is just more convenient for families and hauling gear to have the 4 door version. Adding a higher towing capacity just increases the utility even further and could win over more customers.

If you really are serious about off road driving, you will get the 2 door and be perfectly happy that you can't tow much. For the rest of us, a slightly higher towing capacity on the 4 door with a small sacrifice to off road capability is a trade I would be willing to make. I think ford knows this and it will be an option.

The Ranger is listed with a max capacity of 3500 lb towing capacity until you add the optional towing package which bumps it to 7500. If I had to guess, I would think the numbers currently listed are the Max base capacity with the standard class II hitch package. They may not be fully done testing to SAE standards yet and final towing package numbers with the upgraded package are hopefully on their way. I would be willing to bet that adding the full towing package to the 4 door could bump it up to 4500 or 5000. Because lets be real, if the much smaller Jeep Cherokee Trail hawk with a 109 inch wheel base can tow 4500 and be half decent off road, there is no reason the bronco can't at least match that number. I don't think most of us are expecting unrealistic truck like towing numbers, but 4,500 to 5,000 doesn't seem like too much to ask and could be free ticket to winning over a lot of current jeep wrangler owners.
Had no idea the little cherokee could tow 4500#'s if the bronco can't tow that much I may just buy my wife one of those instead

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Had no idea the little cherokee could tow 4500#'s if the bronco can't tow that much I may just buy my wife one of those instead
Only with the 3.2 v6 and awd and max towing package.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am sticking with tow package comes with class III hitch and integrated brake controller requires 2.7 and A10. 5000 lbs is sufficient.

Pepin10

Base
First Name
Pepin10
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am sticking with tow package comes with class III hitch and integrated brake controller requires 2.7 and A10. 5000 lbs is sufficient.
Where did u see that?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Only with the 3.2 v6 and awd and max towing package.
FWIW - My Dad tows his lightweight travel trailer with one. Has a lot of miles towing and happy with it. Even has done some moderate trails once the camper it set up in the campground.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No offense taken. The Bronco will be my wife's replacing her Grand Cherokee and I'm getting the gladiator to replace my F150. Was just hoping that we can enjoy the Bronco offroad since she is wanting the Badlands Sasquatch. Our trips consist of towing the offroad camper to dispersed areas and trails and then go wheeling for a few days and then hit up another area and do the same. Sounds like the only way we could make the Bronco work and both options would become annoying at some point, would be either we take 2 vehicles on every trip or I scratch the gladiator and buy a f350 tremor and tow the Bronco and camper on a flatbed lol, which is significantly more than the gladiator.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just wish I knew now the final answer. I can order the loaded gladiator rubicon w/ diesel for 5% below invoice vs a f250/350 that obviously will cost more, between $15-20k more. But I think I may have just answered my own question. Is the hassle of worrying about the giant trailer, finding a place to park it to unload while on trips and 15-20k worth it vs just making my wife follow in her Bronco or just tow with the Bronco and keep the water tanks empty until we get near camp, find any additional camping gear weight I can shave off and it’ll safely be under the 3500lbs then.
Sponsored