Sponsored

Tow capacity will keep me from switching...

yelirny

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
5,000 lbs. That's it. Thats all I want. Its not too much to ask. I get the difference between off roading and towing and shocks and wheelbase and all that. I don't expect a pickup truck towing capability. But 5,000 lbs is doable.

And to those saying Ford is trying not to cut into their pickup truck sales and thats why only 3500, that would be a dumb move from my perspective. Bronco is fighting Wrangler, not the Ranger. Any and every point of difference that puts it above the Wrangler is a win. Towing SHOULD be a key point, knowing how many Wrangler owners have issues with the low tow rating.
Sponsored

OP
OP

FLTrojan21

Base
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma SR5 XSP
Your Bronco Model
Base
5,000 lbs. That's it. Thats all I want. Its not too much to ask. I get the difference between off roading and towing and shocks and wheelbase and all that. I don't expect a pickup truck towing capability. But 5,000 lbs is doable.

And to those saying Ford is trying not to cut into their pickup truck sales and thats why only 3500, that would be a dumb move from my perspective. Bronco is fighting Wrangler, not the Ranger. Any and every point of difference that puts it above the Wrangler is a win. Towing SHOULD be a key point, knowing how many Wrangler owners have issues with the low tow rating.
agree that they are challenging Jeep Wrangler community as their primary market, but who is the Bronco’s secondary and tertiary consumer markets? I’d love Ford to tell us.

This looks to be an incredibly capable off-road vehicle, and that’s great. If they don’t have some trims that dumb down the off-roading capabilities in favor of utility(increased towing) or more creature comforts...then I think Ford will be leaving some market share on the table for others.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mfg's like to use the SAE J2807 standard before they issue tow ratings http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

Even if Ford does not test J2807 compliance up to the current Ranger's max tow rating, a Bronco owner can slap on the components to make it capable of 5000lbs+ tow cap.

Wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, looks like since it has a Ranger frame a ClassIII or ClassIV hitch can be bolted onto the frame where the rear tow hooks are. Those hitches allow WDH usage.

May have to install some stiffer rear coilsprings, aftermarket will jump on that fast, stiffer rear springs won't affect articulation much.

I don't see a way to add airbags, though. It has coilover shocks, unlike the 4Runner with separate shocks and coils, airbags are added to the 4Runner inserted into the coils.

Basically, you'll need a pair of balls to hook up a 4000lb loaded travel trailer to an SUV, it's doable and nice to have a small nimble 4WD available when you unhook.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who owns a lifted ‘17 f150 screw w/ the 3.5EB and very capable midsize suv (GC trailhawk) that both see plenty of offroad trails here in CO, both tow an offroad camper that can go anywhere the GC or the truck can go, towing capacity is a deal breaker for me.

Guys are saying the bronco cant tow more because of the wheelbase. The GC is 114” and 4dr bronco is 116”. Why would I want to go from a GC that can tow 6200lbs to a bronco that can only tow 3500lbs? The offroad camper weighs in at 3400lbs.

I can unhook the camper and wheel the GC with 98% of the jeeps, 4runners and soon to be broncos. If the bronco can only tow 3500lbs, similar to my LJ wrangler, then it would get left behind at home. Im not driving 2 vehicles 8hrs away just to wheel the bronco.

The original plan was for the wife to go from her GC to a 4dr badlands sasquatch 2.7 which is what she wants (reservation for 4dr badlands) and I would be getting a new gladiator w/ the ecodiesel. But here again, if the bronco can only tow 3500lbs then every outing will be the gladiator and the sasquatch sitting at home being a mall crawler. No point in having 2 offroad vehicles if only 1 is going to be used. Right now we have 3 and only 2 get used, hence why Im looking at going from 3 to 2.

Like others have said, at least get me to the 5k tow rating mark.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
As someone who owns a lifted ‘17 f150 screw w/ the 3.5EB and very capable midsize suv (GC trailhawk) that both see plenty of offroad trails here in CO, both tow an offroad camper that can go anywhere the GC or the truck can go, towing capacity is a deal breaker for me.

Guys are saying the bronco cant tow more because of the wheelbase. The GC is 114” and 4dr bronco is 116”. Why would I want to go from a GC that can tow 6200lbs to a bronco that can only tow 3500lbs? The offroad camper weighs in at 3400lbs.

I can unhook the camper and wheel the GC with 98% of the jeeps, 4runners and soon to be broncos. If the bronco can only tow 3500lbs, similar to my LJ wrangler, then it would get left behind at home. Im not driving 2 vehicles 8hrs away just to wheel the bronco.

The original plan was for the wife to go from her GC to a 4dr badlands sasquatch 2.7 which is what she wants (reservation for 4dr badlands) and I would be getting a new gladiator w/ the ecodiesel. But here again, if the bronco can only tow 3500lbs then every outing will be the gladiator and the sasquatch sitting at home being a mall crawler. No point in having 2 offroad vehicles if only 1 is going to be used. Right now we have 3 and only 2 get used, hence why Im looking at going from 3 to 2.

Like others have said, at least get me to the 5k tow rating mark.
Bronco tow capacity is limited right now by the ClassII hitch, that's all there is to it. The frame can handle a ClassIV hitch same as the Ranger since it's the same frame.

The Bronco is prewired with a 4/7 pin connector, I don't see any reason to be worried about more tow capacity. Aftermarket will easily provide a hitch that bolts to the frame for 5000lb+ tow capacity.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco tow capacity is limited right now by the ClassII hitch, that's all there is to it. The frame can handle a ClassIV hitch same as the Ranger since it's the same frame.

The Bronco is prewired with a 4/7 pin connector, I don't see any reason to be worried about more tow capacity. Aftermarket will easily provide a hitch that bolts to the frame for 5000lb+ tow capacity.
And I'll need to know 100% before I turn the reservation into an order. What the Bronco is capable of doing will ultimately affect whether the Bronco will be mine, the wife's or neither and we both purchase 2 new and different jeep models. Like I told my wife last night when she asked, I said they have until December to update the information or we'll back out of it. I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering a $60k gladiator diesel that will take 120 days until delivery. I know I'm only one person, but that'll be 2 sales they lose (roughly $110k and any servicing & parts within ford dealerships) and I'm trying to give them a chance because I really do like my EB and interior of my truck, but I'm not waiting until 2022 to get a Bronco the way its going to then find out something that prevents us from not towing more than 3500lbs.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The low tow capacity is a deal breaker for me too. I was expecting at least 5000lb.

I just don't buy the "it's an off-road vehicle, so it shouldn't tow" argument.

Ford sacrificed some off-road capability already by going with an IFS for better on-road capability and everyone buying a Bronco is willing to accept that compromise. Why can't I want a tow package?

Mechanically it has all the tools.
The 4dr has enough wheelbase. It has a strong enough frame. It has large enough brakes. It has a powerful enough drive-train. The type of suspension isn't the issue.
It is possible the shocks/coils aren't up to it, but that's an easy fix.

I go off road, but I'm not a hardcore rock crawler so I would be more than willing to sacrifice some rock crawling ability for an optional tow package with a higher rating.

Like others, I think it would be safe to put a class 3 hitch on the 4dr and tow 5000-6000lbs, but I still can't buy a Bronco (and I can't recommend doing that). If you ever get into an accident while towing (above rated spec), you could be held responsible for 100% of the cost, regardless of who's at fault. And that could be millions, if someone is injured.

I hope those that say a higher tow rating will come, are right.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
And I'll need to know 100% before I turn the reservation into an order. What the Bronco is capable of doing will ultimately affect whether the Bronco will be mine, the wife's or neither and we both purchase 2 new and different jeep models. Like I told my wife last night when she asked, I said they have until December to update the information or we'll back out of it. I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering a $60k gladiator diesel that will take 120 days until delivery. I know I'm only one person, but that'll be 2 sales they lose (roughly $110k and any servicing & parts within ford dealerships) and I'm trying to give them a chance because I really do like my EB and interior of my truck, but I'm not waiting until 2022 to get a Bronco the way its going to then find out something that prevents us from not towing more than 3500lbs.
Wise to be cautious, but look at this pic of the Bronco rear -
Ford Bronco Tow capacity will keep me from switching... 2021 Bronco rear setu

You see the wimpy ClassII hitch attached to the crossmember, that is the reason for the current 3500lb rating.

You also see the tow hooks attached to the frame with two stout bolts. A ClassIII or ClassIV will bolt onto the frame after removing the tow hooks. The Ranger's 6000lb hitch is mounted where those tow hooks are. Even if Ford doesn't offer a stronger hitch I don't see a problem installing an aftermarket Curt.

jbe89

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Buy a $10,000 used truck if all you’re doing is towing a boat around. Especially on the flat in Florida, you don’t need a $50,000 truck to do that unless it is just a status symbol

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The kind of suspension you see on a Bronco or Wrangler is quite soft and doesn't allow for much payload or towing. The JL Wranglers are rated at 2000 pounds for the two doors, and 3500 pounds for the four door so the Bronco is right on point for what it is.

Same reason why a regular F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost HO can handle 11,000 pound but the Raptor is down to 8000 even if they have the same chassis and powetrain.
Yes but it's still 8000! On a Raptor! Not 3500

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

agree that they are challenging Jeep Wrangler community as their primary market, but who is the Bronco’s secondary and tertiary consumer markets? I’d love Ford to tell us.

This looks to be an incredibly capable off-road vehicle, and that’s great. If they don’t have some trims that dumb down the off-roading capabilities in favor of utility(increased towing) or more creature comforts...then I think Ford will be leaving some market share on the table for others.
I agree if it's suspension they's the problem then I'd have hoped that the base suspension in the first four trims (without Sasquatch) would've been okay for more towing.

And if 4Runners are your secondary market then 5000lbs in a four door at least matches them.

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like many of you, I really was anticipating the new Bronco launch. I was extremely impressed by the engineering and design feats made by Ford. It’s a very good looking rig.

I watched the release getting more and more excited UNTIL I read the towing capacity. This was a really key opportunity to pull away two large segments of buyers(existing pickup owners and current Jeep owners). With both segments, I think towing capacity was a big deciding factor. I live in Florid, and the ability to tow a boat when needed is critical. For that reason, you see a lot of pickup trucks. You also see/hear a ton of Jeep owners wondering why they paid 30-50k for practically no towing capacity.

3500 lbs is NOTHING. It doesn’t even match the Ford Ranger.

I, like most Americans, don’t have the money to plop down 40-50k on multiple vehicles to serve multiple purposes.

I hope someone at Ford will read this and consider it for the future.
Most people that need to tow heavy already have a truck. Towing anything more than a 3000 pound bass boat isn’t a good idea in a 100 inch wheel base. This vehicle isn’t made to tow

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most people that need to tow heavy already have a truck. Towing anything more than a 3000 pound bass boat isn’t a good idea in a 100 inch wheel base. This vehicle isn’t made to tow
The 4dr is 1.3” longer than a grand cherokee that can tow 6200lbs with its v6 so your reasoning of wheelbase with the 4dr is irrelevant . Yes I have a f150 that can tow much more than my 3400lb camper and I also have a GC trailhawk that can tow 6200. So you’re telling me that when I want to go to Moab, SW Colorado, disperse camp with the camper, that Im supposed to take my truck every time and then have the wife follow in her 4dr Badlands Sasquatch (which is what the Trailhawk would be sold for) just so we can wheel the Bronco on our 6-10 day offroad trips.

there is nothing a new Bronco will be able to do that my truck or her GC can’t do and its sad that what is 99% of the time considered a soccer mom suv can hang with the big boys and has a tow rating 2700lbs more than the Bronco. Both keep up with the wranglers (i have an 05 LJ wrangler on 35s myself) and 4runners on trails perfectly well less the rock crawlers on 40s, 42s etc.

So no, its not too much to ask to increase the towing another 1500-2500lbs.

pic of trailhawk and camper for reference.

035802DF-A575-4A98-9572-94BBE89AA88C.jpeg

Last edited:

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes but it's still 8000! On a Raptor! Not 3500
It's a full size truck that is still considerably larger and heavier than the 4 door Bronco, what did you expect? 8000 pound is actually below average for a truck of its class.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's a full size truck that is still considerably larger and heavier than the 4 door Bronco, what did you expect? 8000 pound is actually below average for a truck of its class.
And 5000lb would actually be lower than a lot of new SUVs of similar size to the bronco. Haven't seen anybody asking the bronco to be able to tow 8000lbs, but when theres SUVs with the same wheelbase as the 4dr that can tow that much or more then its doesn't seem unreasonable for the bronco to hit at least 5000lbs given the offroad suspension disadvantage. Just because the wrangler basically hasn't improved on its tow rating in 30yrs(other than adding the 4 door longer wheelbase) doesn't mean it should be the standard for the bronco(in towing). About 30yrs ago the tow cap for an f150 with 5.8 was the same as todays ranger(7500) with a much longer wheelbase. And the Bronco based on that platform with the same 5.8 had a 7200lb tow cap with a wheelbase almost as short as the new 2 dr. So why wouldn't a new bronco based on the new ranger platform with same engine or even larger stronger engine not be able to tow 5000lbs at least in the 4dr?
Sponsored