Sponsored

Tow capacity will keep me from switching...

FLTrojan21

Base
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma SR5 XSP
Your Bronco Model
Base
Like many of you, I really was anticipating the new Bronco launch. I was extremely impressed by the engineering and design feats made by Ford. It’s a very good looking rig.

I watched the release getting more and more excited UNTIL I read the towing capacity. This was a really key opportunity to pull away two large segments of buyers(existing pickup owners and current Jeep owners). With both segments, I think towing capacity was a big deciding factor. I live in Florid, and the ability to tow a boat when needed is critical. For that reason, you see a lot of pickup trucks. You also see/hear a ton of Jeep owners wondering why they paid 30-50k for practically no towing capacity.

3500 lbs is NOTHING. It doesn’t even match the Ford Ranger.

I, like most Americans, don’t have the money to plop down 40-50k on multiple vehicles to serve multiple purposes.

I hope someone at Ford will read this and consider it for the future.
Sponsored

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The kind of suspension you see on a Bronco or Wrangler is quite soft and doesn't allow for much payload or towing. The JL Wranglers are rated at 2000 pounds for the two doors, and 3500 pounds for the four door so the Bronco is right on point for what it is.

Same reason why a regular F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost HO can handle 11,000 pound but the Raptor is down to 8000 even if they have the same chassis and powetrain.

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I figured with the Bronco on the Ranger platform, and with the 2.7, we'd at least match the 4Runner in towing capacity.

Net yet a deal breaker for me, but it is a bit of a bummer.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The kind of suspension you see on a Bronco or Wrangler is quite soft and doesn't allow for much payload or towing. The JL Wranglers are rated at 2000 pounds for the two doors, and 3500 pounds for the four door so the Bronco is right on point for what it is.

Same reason why a regular F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost HO can handle 11,000 pound but the Raptor is down to 8000 even if they have the same chassis and powetrain.
This is accurate. Though I guess it is does kinda suck that both of my vehicles (Bronco and Model Y) top out at the same 3500 capacity...

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah I'm not sure why people were expecting this to be a tow rig. I mean the Bronco heritage has roots in high-speed desert racing. That kind of suspension doesn't lend itself to towing capability. And like you said it already meets/exceeds the Wrangler capacity.

Also since the 2 door and 4 door both have the same listed towing capacity I'm fairly certain that number was chosen as a placeholder/stopgap until they have an actual concrete number while still being able to say they can do better than Jeep.

Edit: So my guess with the supposed "towing package" we've seen as a possible option, is that the 4 door will come in closer to 4/4.5K

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah I'm not sure why people were expecting this to be a tow rig. I mean the Bronco heritage has roots in high-speed desert racing. That kind of suspension doesn't lend itself to towing capability. And like you said it already meets/exceeds the Wrangler capacity.

Also since the 2 door and 4 door both have the same listed towing capacity I'm fairly certain that number was chosen as a placeholder/stopgap until they have an actual concrete number while still being able to say they can do better than Jeep.

Edit: So my guess with the supposed "towing package" we've seen as a possible option, is that the 4 door will come in closer to 4/4.5K
Exactly. One vehicle can’t excel at all duties. Bronco clearly prioritizes off road capability over towing. Just like the wrangler. And Raptor.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think they were kinda smart not to increase the towing capacity from a business point of view. if they did, then the ranger sales would be dead. the only reason to get a ranger is the bed. and if no one is buying a ranger and then looking for something bigger later on like the f150, then the sales there would be hurt as well. just a thought from that point of view.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How many toys does one need to bring when they play? :LOL: Bronco would be all the toy I need.

Joking aside, just how much weight are people wanting to tow?

Sponsored

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I too was initially thinking higher because of the Ranger platform, but I didn't factor in the soft suspension. I totally get that we need jack-of-all-trades with the prices of vehicles, but it's hard to overcome physics. These are designed to be toys, so you gotta pay to play.

PavementQueen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If only they had released the f150 bronco prototype instead of the lame bronco sport..we could all be happy.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since there’s no way in hell the 2 and 4 door will have the exact same tow rating, I have a feeling it’s a placeholder. My guess is the 4-door will end up having a tow rating around 5000 once we get closer to launch.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a bass boat so yes. Lol.
True, but unless you're trading in your Ram, shouldn't be an issue now, right?

Truth be told, in the year and half I've owned my Ram, never towed
Sponsored