Sponsored

Tow capacity will keep me from switching...

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 4dr is 1.3” longer than a grand cherokee that can tow 6200lbs with its v6 so your reasoning of wheelbase with the 4dr is irrelevant . Yes I have a f150 that can tow much more than my 3400lb camper and I also have a GC trailhawk that can tow 6200. So you’re telling me that when I want to go to Moab, SW Colorado, disperse camp with the camper, that Im supposed to take my truck every time and then have the wife follow in her 4dr Badlands Sasquatch (which is what the Trailhawk would be sold for) just so we can wheel the Bronco on our 6-10 day offroad trips.

there is nothing a new Bronco will be able to do that my truck or her GC can’t do and its sad that what is 99% of the time considered a soccer mom suv can hang with the big boys and has a tow rating 2700lbs more than the Bronco. Both keep up with the wranglers (i have an 05 LJ wrangler on 35s myself) and 4runners on trails perfectly well less the rock crawlers on 40s, 42s etc.

So no, its not too much to ask to increase the towing another 1500-2500lbs.

pic of trailhawk and camper for reference.

035802DF-A575-4A98-9572-94BBE89AA88C.jpeg
I honestly don’t see why the 4 door with 2.7 auto couldn’t easily handle 5000 pounds
Sponsored

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would be willing to bet that Ford knows what they are doing. Their goal is to beat the Wrangler, and a major sticking point where they could easily win over new customers is in the towing capacity.

Because lets be honest, 90% of wranglers sold are in the 4 door version at a sacrifice to off road capability. For most of us, it is just more convenient for families and hauling gear to have the 4 door version. Adding a higher towing capacity just increases the utility even further and could win over more customers.

If you really are serious about off road driving, you will get the 2 door and be perfectly happy that you can't tow much. For the rest of us, a slightly higher towing capacity on the 4 door with a small sacrifice to off road capability is a trade I would be willing to make. I think ford knows this and it will be an option.

The Ranger is listed with a max capacity of 3500 lb towing capacity until you add the optional towing package which bumps it to 7500. If I had to guess, I would think the numbers currently listed are the Max base capacity with the standard class II hitch package. They may not be fully done testing to SAE standards yet and final towing package numbers with the upgraded package are hopefully on their way. I would be willing to bet that adding the full towing package to the 4 door could bump it up to 4500 or 5000. Because lets be real, if the much smaller Jeep Cherokee Trail hawk with a 109 inch wheel base can tow 4500 and be half decent off road, there is no reason the bronco can't at least match that number. I don't think most of us are expecting unrealistic truck like towing numbers, but 4,500 to 5,000 doesn't seem like too much to ask and could be free ticket to winning over a lot of current jeep wrangler owners.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you get a standard Ranger model, it has a towing capacity of 3,500 but if you add the tow package for $500, it can deliver up to 7,500 lb. So, if the bodies are on same chassis, I would assume you can get the same on the Bronco? And, the Tanger is based off of 2.3 liter.
I was looking at Class III Ranger receivers as a proxy. It is interesting that they all seem to be the kind that bolt between the two side frame rails rather that the kind that bolts to the rear frame rail.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Me personally - I am hopeful to be able to put a Class III hitch on the 2 door, and maybe heavier springs in back depending on how much it drops. I will tow my boat (on a braked trailer) to the lake and back or pretty much anywhere with in a hour or so drive. For longer vacation trips (which are unusual / I’ve done twice), maybe the best thing is to rent and pick something with towing capacity on the aisle.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The tow rating is generalized across all the models. No way your going to convince me the 2.7 EB with tow package isn’t going to tow more then the 2.3 EB with Tow package. Especially since some models have better suspension then others. I would not be surprised to see 2.3 EB with tow package at 5000 lbs and 2.7 EB with tow package around 7500 lbs.
All you have to do is look at the ranger, the towing goes up with tow package from 3500 lbs. for the 2.3 EB and what the 2.7 EB is capable of with the F150 (9000 lbs).

Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 4dr is 1.3” longer than a grand cherokee that can tow 6200lbs with its v6 so your reasoning of wheelbase with the 4dr is irrelevant . Yes I have a f150 that can tow much more than my 3400lb camper and I also have a GC trailhawk that can tow 6200. So you’re telling me that when I want to go to Moab, SW Colorado, disperse camp with the camper, that Im supposed to take my truck every time and then have the wife follow in her 4dr Badlands Sasquatch (which is what the Trailhawk would be sold for) just so we can wheel the Bronco on our 6-10 day offroad trips.

there is nothing a new Bronco will be able to do that my truck or her GC can’t do and its sad that what is 99% of the time considered a soccer mom suv can hang with the big boys and has a tow rating 2700lbs more than the Bronco. Both keep up with the wranglers (i have an 05 LJ wrangler on 35s myself) and 4runners on trails perfectly well less the rock crawlers on 40s, 42s etc.

So no, its not too much to ask to increase the towing another 1500-2500lbs.

pic of trailhawk and camper for reference.

035802DF-A575-4A98-9572-94BBE89AA88C.jpeg
Nice offroad setup! I thought you were hauling a 3000lb+ travel trailer. Your short narrow low-profile trailer is easy to tow. With a 3000lb high-profile travel trailer the Bronco 2.7l turbo will tow with better mpg at high altitude in the Mountain West states compared to a Pentastar V6. Sure would be nice if Ford had a 24.6 fuel tank like the GC, but I'm confident the Bronco will be able to tow 5k, just have to install a ClassIII hitch.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was looking at Class III Ranger receivers as a proxy. It is interesting that they all seem to be the kind that bolt between the two side frame rails rather that the kind that bolts to the rear frame rail.
Ranger aftermarket Curt ClassIII bolts directly to the frame rails, is WDH capable. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...StXk1-u4vokTFJ92Z45B1Sy05EMcZtCBoCcAAQAvD_BwE

You guys are underthinking this. Either factory or aftermarket it will be a good tow vehicle as an SUV body-on-frame. The signs are there to see, the base with a ClassII has a 4/7 pin prewired in the prototype pics. Seeing a prewired 4/7 pin should clue you that it has Ranger tow capacity.

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And 5000lb would actually be lower than a lot of new SUVs of similar size to the bronco. Haven't seen anybody asking the bronco to be able to tow 8000lbs, but when theres SUVs with the same wheelbase as the 4dr that can tow that much or more then its doesn't seem unreasonable for the bronco to hit at least 5000lbs given the offroad suspension disadvantage. Just because the wrangler basically hasn't improved on its tow rating in 30yrs(other than adding the 4 door longer wheelbase) doesn't mean it should be the standard for the bronco(in towing). About 30yrs ago the tow cap for an f150 with 5.8 was the same as todays ranger(7500) with a much longer wheelbase. And the Bronco based on that platform with the same 5.8 had a 7200lb tow cap with a wheelbase almost as short as the new 2 dr. So why wouldn't a new bronco based on the new ranger platform with same engine or even larger stronger engine not be able to tow 5000lbs at least in the 4dr?
With increased towing capacity you are going to decrease off-road capability with a stiffer suspension stabilizer etc... you have to ask yourself what are you truly looking for

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With increased towing capacity you are going to decrease off-road capability with a stiffer suspension stabilizer etc... you have to ask yourself what are you truly looking for
A 4-DOOR BRONCO I CAN TOW 5k POUNDS WITH.

ntries%2Ficons%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F022%2F497%2Fmmmm.jpg

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My point is 5k towing IS a decreased tow capacity based on others with the same wheelbase towing 8-9k and the ranger with the same platform towing 7.5k, so asking for 5k isn’t really asking for an increase, it’s already a decrease that should be plenty acceptable with the current setup, not for an extra compromise off-road. Now would I personally take a slight decrease to off road capability to bump the tow rating up to 6-6.5k? Yes, but I know that is more unrealistic as a lot of others wouldn’t want that compromise. But 5k shouldn’t really need anything extra, it’s already reduced towing capability compared to basically anything new except the wrangler that’s had the same tow cap for 3 decades.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice offroad setup! I thought you were hauling a 3000lb+ travel trailer. Your short narrow low-profile trailer is easy to tow. With a 3000lb high-profile travel trailer the Bronco 2.7l turbo will tow with better mpg at high altitude in the Mountain West states compared to a Pentastar V6. Sure would be nice if Ford had a 24.6 fuel tank like the GC, but I'm confident the Bronco will be able to tow 5k, just have to install a ClassIII hitch.
yeah its not a tall travel trailer but like you said, low center of gravity trailer coming in at 3400lbs that rides on air suspension. It tucks nicely behind both the GC and my f150. Plan would be to get the 2.7EB in the bronco. Turbos are definitely the way to go at higher elevation. I have the 3.5EB in my truck and love it. im not asking for the bronco to tow 7500lbs, but give me a little buffer at least at 5000lbs.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. Heck my 05 LJ has a towing capacity of 3500lbs, which is a 2-door, a wheelbase of 103.4”, less than 200hp and 240 for torque in stock form.

but to say we’ll lose offroad ability if they increase the towing, Id say maybe once they hit that 5000lb tow rating mark but not going from 3500 up to 5000 we wouldn't.

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was looking at the new Airstream which is a little over 4 I believe. That 4-5,000 would work for me with a 4 door.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why do you say an Outer Banks? Wife is wanting the Badlands, Sasquatch and Lux package.
Sponsored