Sponsored

Tow package dealer installed option MY24…

FearofMissingout

Heritage
First Name
Summer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E, F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So I changed my order to a 2024 and was told by the dealer that the tow package is now a dealer installed option. From these threads I gathered that it was a pain to install after the fact. Dealer said they are pre-wired; it’s just “plug & play”. Based on today’s info I dropped it off my 2024 order but just want to make certain the info I was provided today was accurate. He wasn’t even aware ordering banks were opening today
Sponsored

Dtronic

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350, 2023 Toyota Camry, 2022 BMW S1000R
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I had tow dealer added to my 2020 Jeep JL Rubicon Recon. It took six hours. There are wires that needed to be run the length of the vehicle and programming done.

Interesting to see Ford shift this to dealers. I imagine it's to keep the orders moving if they run out of parts.

JackBoston

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had the dealer install the tow hitch on my BB delivered August 2021, cuz it was otherwise a factory constraint. I spoke directly with the technician at the small dealership and he did remark it was a challenge that took him longer than expected, it was the first one he installed on a Bronco. No issues with performance.

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Will the Lumen "plug and play" wiring be more difficult to install for the 2021-2022 models?

Or, do those model years also have the prep kit?

Mike Smittle

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 21 wildtrack with factory tow package. I asked the dealer about an electric brake controller. They printed out a factory wiring schematic that showed 5 wires on my 7 pin connector. I went to a local trailer shop and they wouldn't touch it. They tried to sell me a brake controller that ran off a phone app. I went home, got under the truck. Lo and behold there were 7 wires on my connector. I searched the forum, and found the information I needed. The plug is under the dash. Plugged in the module, mounted the controller. 30 minutes. I have a 23 ordered. Not gonna be a happy camper if I have go through the dealer who couldn't even show me an accurate schematic on my 21 wildtrack.

Sponsored

Exhaust

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You have to actually splice into the factory wiring for 2021-2023 models. Exactly how much work it takes depends on what you ordered, but much of the wiring isn't there unless you get the tow package.

For 2024, I would expect the all of the wiring to be there already as part of this "prep kit". More a less just a plug-n-play sorta thing.
Too bad it's $700 for the parts from Ford to do it yourself. Wonder if you can add it through the dealer as aftermarket for closer to the $500 price when you order it.

clintontx

Black Diamond
First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does this mean we'll have to pay the dealer to install the tow package?

Brsox

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
If you only need the 4 pin wiring, I would go with the Ford kit. Curt makes a nice hitch for around $100 and I think it looks cleaner than the factory hitch. They make a 4 pin wiring kit that is plug and play, also for around $100. You have to run a ground wire to the frame and you do have to run a power wire the length of the vehicle to the battery but it looks pretty simple. Check out some install videos on YouTube.
Sponsored