Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn.

thanks for the analysis. Really hoping they can tweak up the tow weights for next year, get the number closer to a 4R. I know people tow these with wranglers. Their main complaint seems to be engine power. Prefer Bronco over pickup, but this may add more weight on the con column.
If they're towing that trailer with a Wrangler then they too are likely over the weight limit. Wranglers have a 8117 lbs GCWR with a 3500 lbs towing capacity--very similar to the Bronco. The Wrangler's curb weight is lower, which gives you more payload capacity. But once you load that trailer up with water, propane, food, and some gear I find it very hard to believe they're not going above 3500 lbs.

I mean... if we're being realistic... you probably still can safely tow it, especially if you install the trailer brake controller. You'll just be over the weight ratings. And because you're over the weight ratings, you have to be aware of what that means in terms of safety, liability, warranty, and technical design of the Bronco.

It becomes very much a do-at-your-own-risk sorta thing. If you burn up the transmission because you exceeded the designed capabilities of the Bronco... well... that's on you. If you accidentally rear-end someone going down a hill, injure them, and they prove that you were operating your vehicle above the GCWR... bad news for you.

---

That's a sweet trailer though, I did realize OPUS sold trailers in the United States--I've always known them as an Australian brand. I was going to buy a Black Series camper, but definitely going to checkout the OPUS OP Lite.
Sponsored

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let me say this. My offroad trailer is 2200lbs dry. By the time you add in the 40gal of water, propane, extra add-ons (fridge, solar, stove, gas grill, gear, food, clothing) the scale shows 3390lbs. adds up quickly for sure. Not to mention, if you load your trailer correctly, tongue weight should be around 10-12%. So if you’re trailer is 3700lbs with gear and water, you’re going to be over the max tongue weight and that cuts into your payload as well.

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If we're going off of numbers strictly, the 400lb tongue weight of the OP4 already put it over the limit. Everything else is either close or over. So the Bronco isn't the best vehicle to tow an OP4.

Physically, I'm sure the Bronco can do it. But then again, if a person can move a trailer around by hand, a Suzuki Sumarai with 66hp can probably tow the OP4 too. So whether you want to do it with a Bronco or not is going to be a decision you have to make.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Let me say this. My offroad trailer is 2200lbs dry. By the time you add in the 40gal of water, propane, extra add-ons (fridge, solar, stove, gas grill, gear, food, clothing) the scale shows 3390lbs. adds up quickly for sure. Not to mention, if you load your trailer correctly, tongue weight should be around 10-12%. So if you’re trailer is 3700lbs with gear and water, you’re going to be over the max tongue weight and that cuts into your payload as well.
If you're at the top end of the towing capacity it's likely GCWR that governs your available payload not GVWR, so the tongue weight likely won't matter in that scenario anyways. See @RagnarKon's post on the previous page.

Now that being said that suspect hitch reciever they tack onto these things is probably marginal for that 400lb tongue weight, and if you're planning to tow a trailer with high tongue weight and/or over rough terrain you should probably wait for the aftermarket to produce a real frame rail-mounted Class III reciever.

Bjj101

Outer Banks
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX, 2020 Lexus RX450
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We've been looking at lightweight small campers as well. Really thinking about this one as it will allow us to carry bikes then convert to sleep home.... reasonably priced as well.

Sylvan Sport Go

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We've been looking at lightweight small campers as well. Really thinking about this one as it will allow us to carry bikes then convert to sleep home.... reasonably priced as well.

Sylvan Sport Go

I worry about this one on dirt roads. the little tires would have it bouncing all over the place.

Bjj101

Outer Banks
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX, 2020 Lexus RX450
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I worry about this one on dirt roads. the little tires would have it bouncing all over the place.
Still looking at tear drop types... found this one at a reasonable cost. Requested a quote as we expect to make a decision closer to end of the year. Quote was 14k and includes:

roof rack
8x8 awning
propane tank
fridge/freezer
shower

Said when built will be 1300lb so even with the additions should be under 2000lbs... This may be the front runner for my wife and I. We will see......

waveform55

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What about the OP2 for a 4-door black diamond with the 2.7? 🤔