AMS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB 4 DR / 22 F150 / 23 OBX 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Maybe it's a little early for this question- but has anyone had any experience with this? I ordered my new Bronco when the banks opened on 03/27 (I am scheduled for production), and since I don't plan on keeping my 4DR I mentioned trading it in. However, my dealer acted like he didn't really want it, and said I "will get a lot more if I sell it myself"... but I don't know if this is true. KBB trade-in values seem great, but I get the feeling he's not even going to come close to them, and the KBB private sale values seem pretty unrealistic. I have quite a bit into upgrades so I definitely want to try and get the most I can, but the appeal of the trade-in comes down to the 4k in taxes I'd save (thanks a lot, NY). Any advice / insight / experiences will be greatly appreciated!

My current Bronco for reference:
Ford Bronco TRADE-IN vs PRIVATE SALE? Macklin
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The several online car buying services can give you quotes and are usually good for 7 days. Don't expect to get your money back on the mods, maybe 50% at best of your cost. Private party typically yields a higher value, especially when modded, but at the expense of tire kickers and tax savings.

PartsForBlue

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Two Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I find it hard to believe four door soft tops are holding value and I know for sure that no one wants a previous ownerā€™s mods. Your dealer knows this, too.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Youll definitely get more selling outright but you have to deal with people, scammers, tire kickers, broke asses, etc.. Trading in is much easier and you get a tax credit which makes up for some of the price difference. For example if they give you 50k trade and taxes are 10% youd need 55k private sell. As for mods general rule of thumb is 50% retail cost and no labor.

OP
OP
BurtMacklin

BurtMacklin

Outer Banks
First Name
AMS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Youll definitely get more selling outright but you have to deal with people, scammers, tire kickers, broke asses, etc.. Trading in is much easier and you get a tax credit which makes up for some of the price difference. For example if they give you 50k trade and taxes are 10% youd need 55k private sell. As for mods general rule of thumb is 50% retail cost and no labor.
Right- honestly the last thing I want to deal with is the headache of a private sale.

Sponsored

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Its free to try Carvana, Vroom etc.... Carmax takes more time but also an option to trading in at the dealership.

OP
OP
BurtMacklin

BurtMacklin

Outer Banks
First Name
AMS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Its free to try Carvana, Vroom etc.... Carmax takes more time but also an option to trading in at the dealership.
I tried Carvana a few days ago out of curiosity (I sold to them once and had a great experience) but they were low... like $35k I think? I'll keep it before I let it go for that.

LastEdition

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport FE
Your Bronco Model
Base
It surprises me to say this but give Car_ax a visit.
A friend recently sold his lightly modded 22ā€™ 2-door OB to them for 9k over his purchase price last year.
On his advice I gave them a shot at my 21ā€™ Bronco Sport FE and they gave me MSRP. I had it advertised on a well known national website and had every dealership trying to buy it ,but all the private parties never followed thru.
I would suggest going on a weekday. Make an appointment online. It takes about 20 min for them to do the evaluation and offer.

OP
OP
BurtMacklin

BurtMacklin

Outer Banks
First Name
AMS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It surprises me to say this but give Car_ax a visit.
A friend recently sold his lightly modded 22ā€™ 2-door OB to them for 9k over his purchase price last year.
On his advice I gave them a shot at my 21ā€™ Bronco Sport FE and they gave me MSRP. I had it advertised on a well known national website and had every dealership trying to buy it ,but all the private parties never followed thru.
I would suggest going on a weekday. Make an appointment online. It takes about 20 min for them to do the evaluation and offer.
I've been hearing this. Kind of a pain because the closest one is 3 hours away- but might be worth a shot. Thank you!

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Carvana, Vroom and the like typically won't give you a price or will give you a low offer if it's not yet registered to you.

Sponsored

LastEdition

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport FE
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been hearing this. Kind of a pain because the closest one is 3 hours away- but might be worth a shot. Thank you!
3 hours does sound painful.
I was admittedly shocked by their offer. It was 3.5k higher than Car_ana. Also found out during the process with that one, if you let their first online offer expire, their second one goes up, and their third one down.

Good luck !

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got a 2 door manual BD in route that I'm not keeping since I already have a base 2 dr manual. I had a private offer of $44,000 on the base which I paid $31,500 for that I didn't accept because I don't want to sell it. 2 dr BD are listed on Carvana, etc for up to $55. If I can make some money I'll buy it and sell it.

Neigh

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In December I sold my Focus ST private party. It was shockingly quick and easy due to the demand for STs and I got over 30% more than I would have by trading it. I listed it in two places: Facebook and Cargurus. All the good leads came from Facebook while Cargurus was a total waste of time and $5.

I realize you're trying to sell a Bronco, but I think you're in a similar situation with respect to demand and because of the demand it'll probably sell faster and with less hassle than folks are leading you to believe.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had it advertised on a well known national website and had every dealership trying to buy it ,but all the private parties never followed thru.
I had an FJ listed this way. Pita. I had like 5 scammers contact me and no serious buyers. Ended up just trading it in to the dealer I got my FE from. I got less than I wanted, but I got the tax credit.

TXshaggy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Porsche Spyder
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not all states have trade-in Tax Credit so research your state before assuming that.

Itā€™s just a math problem. See what the dealer will give, figure out tax credit, then weigh that against a private sale.

Iā€™ve always sold my vehicles privately; it is always a hassle dealing with scammers and tire kickersā€¦but the cash difference has been worth it.
Sponsored