First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah we'll be out in Moab next month to practice lol heading out to Safari next spring too +
sounds like the manuals have fail-safe with the anti stall and crawl mode too - Not too worried
Cool! Hope to see ya out there next year!
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like when I hear it's impossible to drive a manual transmission off road.
Never heard that one before :unsure: But I have seen people that swear by a manual though they can't drive one very well while thinking they can ;)

I too was a once die hard manual guy & there is nothing wrong with preferring one but they can be a lot less forgiving with shock loading the driveline & when not properly geared 🤠

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Never heard that one before :unsure: But I have seen people that swear by a manual though they can't drive one very well while thinking they can ;)

I too was a once die hard manual guy & there is nothing wrong with preferring one but they can be a lot less forgiving with shock loading the driveline & when not properly geared 🤠
You tell by the fact they quit supplying manuals at the off rodeo. I’m guessing too many that thought they could actually couldn’t. I was fortunate to be able to drive one at a local Bronco Nation off rodeo event. Seemed like it would be nearly impossible to stall but I watched it action when the person after me said he’d been driving a manual for years. Maybe he was thinking the flippers on the steering wheel are real manuals.

I grew up on dirt bikes and CJ-5’s off road. No other options to go off road unless using a manual transmission with what I had available to me.

I certainly get that an automatic can be easier but there’s nothing impossible about driving a manual off road even in extreme rock crawling situations. Watch You Tuber Rory Irish in Trail Mater, I don’t think most even realize it’s a manual transmission he is driving. Granted, his set up allows him to do front digs for tight turn situations but for most other situations, he gets around just fine in a manual.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I grew up on dirt bikes and CJ-5’s off road. No other options to go off road unless using a manual transmission with what I had available to me.
Likewise. What year was your CJ-5?
I had an 81 🤠

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Likewise. What year was your CJ-5?
I had an 81 🤠
Unfortunately they weren’t mine. A couple of buddies of mine had them. One was a mid 60’s with the 4 cylinder and one a later 60’s with a V6. I had dirt bikes so we would switch off all the time as their parents wouldn’t let them get dirt bikes. I remember the 4 cylinder one had a wicked crawl gear on it. It could climb dirt hills almost as well as my bike. We were mostly in woods and ravines and creek beds. Completely different than Moab or San Hollow but kept us out of real trouble for the most part. It was a great time. I was a big fan until they switch to the CJ-7. I didn’t like the square door opening. It’s funny but my father basically forbid me to get one as he was a Jeep driver during WWII after the fighting was over. He would never say why but was I’m sure he had many incidents going between Paris and the CZ republic where they were stationed after the war.
Sponsored