Sponsored

Trailrax TRMR Roof Rack Issue (Rusting Hardware)

Elliott35

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all!

I'm looking for some guidance on where to find higher quality (preferably stainless) hardware for my Bronco TRMR roof rack.

I've owned the rack for about 9 months and have substantial corrosion of the 1/4"-20 T-Nuts that were provided in the kit and somewhat less significant corrosion on the 1/4"-20 bolts. I've been searching online to see if anyone makes higher carbon / stainless hardware that'll work for this application but haven't found anything yet. Anyone on here have a suggestion?

The included hardware seems to be made of zinc plated low carbon steel, which IMO should only be used for indoor stationary applications. I like the design of this rack overall, but the included hardware isn't seemingly up to the task. I also worry about the impact mixing metals will have over time on the aluminum extrusions, but that's a future problem.

Here are the included pieces of hardware that I'd like to "upgrade:"

Ford Bronco Trailrax TRMR Roof Rack Issue (Rusting Hardware) TRMR Hardware

@TrailRax any input?
Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all!

I'm looking for some guidance on where to find higher quality (preferably stainless) hardware for my Bronco TRMR roof rack.

I've owned the rack for about 9 months and have substantial corrosion of the 1/4"-20 T-Nuts that were provided in the kit and somewhat less significant corrosion on the 1/4"-20 bolts. I've been searching online to see if anyone makes higher carbon / stainless hardware that'll work for this application but haven't found anything yet. Anyone on here have a suggestion?

The included hardware seems to be made of zinc plated low carbon steel, which IMO should only be used for indoor applications. I like the design of this rack overall, but the included hardware isn't seemingly up to the task. I also worry about the impact mixing metals will have over time on the aluminum extrusions, but that's a future problem.

Here are the included pieces of hardware that I'd like to "upgrade:"

Ford Bronco Trailrax TRMR Roof Rack Issue (Rusting Hardware) TRMR Hardware

@TrailRax any input?
Hey! Email us an [email protected] and we can get you replaced hardware. We did get a bad batch a year ago and are still weeding out who got it and who didn't. Just let the customer service team know about your hardware with pictures and we will get a replacement kit sent out today. We have since upgraded our hardware to local Utah sourced.

OP
OP
Elliott35

Elliott35

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey! Email us an [email protected] and we can get you replaced hardware. We did get a bad batch a year ago and are still weeding out who got it and who didn't. Just let the customer service team know about your hardware with pictures and we will get a replacement kit sent out today. We have since upgraded our hardware to local Utah sourced.
Thanks. Just sent the email.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same issue with the T-nuts. They seem to just be zinc-plated and the plating itself is not great on that particular hardware.

I attempted to find replacements that were stainless and I found absolutely nothing with the correct threads, so I can definitely appreciate the trouble @TrailRax had sourcing hardware. Glad they were able to find locally-sourced replacements though.

The rest of the roof rack has been VERY solid. (Except for the powder coating I accidentally chipped off by dropping a tools on it... but... that was my fault.)

Ford Bronco Trailrax TRMR Roof Rack Issue (Rusting Hardware) 1693241976076

Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the same issue with the T-nuts. They seem to just be zinc-plated and the plating itself is not great on that particular hardware.

I attempted to find replacements that were stainless and I found absolutely nothing with the correct threads, so I can definitely appreciate the trouble @TrailRax had sourcing hardware. Glad they were able to find locally-sourced replacements though.

The rest of the roof rack has been VERY solid. (Except for the powder coating I accidentally chipped off by dropping a tools on it... but... that was my fault.)

Ford Bronco Trailrax TRMR Roof Rack Issue (Rusting Hardware) 1693241976076
Happy to help you out too! just toss us an email with your order number and pictures and we can get you taken care of the best we can. You are absolutely right about sourcing these Tnuts, it has been a nightmare but we are constantly looking to improve the experience of our products with our customers.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thats good, @TrailRax , my half-rack I bought August 2022 had rusting screws as well. I mostly fixed the problem for the short-term by being more liberal with the locktite glue. Love the Half-rack!

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats good, @TrailRax , my half-rack I bought August 2022 had rusting screws as well. I mostly fixed the problem for the short-term by being more liberal with the locktite glue. Love the Half-rack!
Reach out and we can get that sorted. Like mentioned above, it has been hard to trace who got bad hardware and who didn't. There has also been instances where the black oxide on the bolts have a reaction to some sort of weathering or salt that turns the oxide into a weird color almost as if it is rusting. We do use stainless steel with black oxide coding over it so even if the black oxide faded away, you should not be experiencing rust on the hardware.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Reach out and we can get that sorted. Like mentioned above, it has been hard to trace who got bad hardware and who didn't. There has also been instances where the black oxide on the bolts have a reaction to some sort of weathering or salt that turns the oxide into a weird color almost as if it is rusting. We do use stainless steel with black oxide coding over it so even if the black oxide faded away, you should not be experiencing rust on the hardware.
Some of the washers were miss-labeled to you, they were pretty clearly (to me) painted steel . . . You can see the rust in the photo.Which would cause electrolysis issues from dissimilar metals which I dealt with installing deck hardware & fasteners on boats over the years. Its also why coating with glue somewhat fixed the problem. Also, the hardware, when tightened, will compress the coating on the rack, also causing rust. I used plastic washers when installing eyebolts on my rack for holding down the mid-panel. Normally, I would have spray-painted all the washers, or sourced my own s steel at a marine store, but your customer service assured me they were ss.
Otherwise, such a nicely made rack. I'll email and get a set of waahers & fasteners. Whats your name, so I know who to talk to?

20230829_114332.jpg

Wtb13000

Wildtrak
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great follow up response and service, however is there any longer term fix to be had? What is it and when would it put into place?

I’m considering a few half racks, we can all guess the vendors with the limited options for half racks, and can say personally this would be important to know before I make my purchase. Thanks!

Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

can cod There has also been instances where the black oxide on the bolts have a reaction to some sort of weathering or salt that turns the oxide into a weird color almost as if it is rusting. We do use stainless steel with black oxide coding over it so even if the black oxide faded away, you should not be experiencing rust on the hardware.
Can confirm, this is what was happening to mine. Bought the rack earlier this year but just installed it a couple of weeks ago and noticed what looked like rust. Following your advice, I was able to just wipe it off with a cloth. Everything’s back to looking new again!

Great product, I would not hesitate if I was in the market for a roof rack.

Here’s the before/after:

Ford Bronco Trailrax TRMR Roof Rack Issue (Rusting Hardware) IMG_8434

Ford Bronco Trailrax TRMR Roof Rack Issue (Rusting Hardware) IMG_8503

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can confirm, this is what was happening to mine. Bought the rack earlier this year but just installed it a couple of weeks ago and noticed what looked like rust. Following your advice, I was able to just wipe it off with a cloth. Everything’s back to looking new again!

Great product, I would not hesitate if I was in the market for a roof rack.

Here’s the before/after:

Yeah sorry that oxidation color looks so much like rust, Glad it just wipes away! Do not hesitate to reach out if you need any support from us!

Rosalieee

Raptor
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, BMW M3 Competition X-Drive
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Are people still having this issue? I installed my half rack and after the recent so cal rain I have what looks like rust around several of the bolts.
Sponsored