Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

FWIW, I’ve had a Asfir’s transmission skid for nearly 2 years. Trans temps have been fine on and off road, including trails in Utah in July and summers in GA. I think you’ll be fine idling the Starbucks drive-thru
Part of the reason I chose ASFIR, it's no wider than necessary and has larger well placed holes for cooling.
Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’m pretty sure it’s called heat dissipation. You probably don’t want your tranny overheating on the way to Starbucks.
I have an Escalade if I wished to go to Charbucks but I have no need as I make my own Cappuccinos or Breves on my Olympia Cremina or my La Pavoni Europiccola or even my Electra Microcasa a Leva which I do every morning (its a hobby of mine). That said, unlike SoCal, just a few miles south of me i enjoy a little over 7,600 square miles of Idaho's off-roading in the Owyhee's which is why I own a Bronco and need a full skid package.

With 30 years up-fitting class 6, 7, and 8 cab and chassis I am pretty aware of heat soak.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Part of the reason I chose ASFIR, it's no wider than necessary and has larger well placed holes for cooling.
I'm installing ASFIL as soon as the weather gets a little nicer but for different reasons. Lighter weight, corrosion resistance and I'm not really a rock crawler. However, we do have a lot of pointy lava rock everywhere I go and I really don't need a punctured pan.

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have an Escalade if I wished to go to Charbucks but I have no need as I make my own Cappuccinos or Breves on my Olympia Cremina or my La Pavoni Europiccola or even my Electra Microcasa a Leva which I do every morning (its a hobby of mine). That said, unlike SoCal, just a few miles south of me i enjoy a little over 7,600 square miles of Idaho's off-roading in the Owyhee's which is why I own a Bronco and need a full skid package.

With 30 years up-fitting class 6, 7, and 8 cab and chassis I am pretty aware of heat soak.
You described the exception to the general rule that people should not install a transmission skid — it can break down and you’ll still get to Starbucks because you have another vehicle to take you there. And even in that exceptional case, you probably don’t want to overheat your tranny all the time for that one time you might need protection.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have had a Talons trans skid on for a while now and haven’t had temp issue at all. There is plenty of airflow. Not one report of temp problems from a trans skid but more than a few broken plastic pans from rocks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Needs coverage over the transmission cross braces. They seem to get hit a lot. The LOD covers all of it and works with the factory skid plates

IMG_8365.jpeg

IMG_6862.jpeg
Yeah I noticed that after Install. Hopefully my 4inch lift will help with clearance, possibly fab a cover too…

OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It looks like it bolts right up with the factory steel skid plats. Did you have to modify anything? Looks good. Thought you where losing ground clearance but after looking at the pictures its only about the thickness of the metal skid and it close to the angled cross member bars that seem to get bent easily an. Also does the sway bar disconnect work ok with this?
Bolts right up clean. Mines a 21 Basesquatch. Not sure with SB disconnect…

OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m pretty sure it’s called heat dissipation. You probably don’t want your tranny overheating on the way to Starbucks.
I’m in Mi, not worried about heat dissipation/cooling 😂

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Hippsterbucks, 🤮
Off topic but I can make a Charbucks $6.00 Cappa for $0.70....easy to justify a $3,500 Cremina if you drink 2 a day.

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yeah I noticed that after Install. Hopefully my 4inch lift will help with clearance, possibly fab a cover too…
ASFIR makes Stainless Steel Crossmember Protectors...............

As soon as it starts to dryout I will need to install the full package. No need at the moment as I don't wish to add to the ruts that are there and some of the trails are closed for wildlife breeding and wintering range.

OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As soon as it starts to dryout I will need to install the full package. No need at the moment as I don't wish to add to the ruts that are there and some of the trails are closed for wildlife breeding and wintering range.
Copy that! 🤙🏽 thx.
https://www.asfir.com/skid-plate-599662.html

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Installed those along with their trans skid after I trashed them last year. ASFIR makes nice products. Also no issues with trans oil temps so far but I live in a temperate climate.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There might be a reason Ford offers skids for everything under the Bronco EXCEPT the transmission. I doubt it’s because the Ford engineers forgot about the transmission.
The “all knowing” engineers definitely forgot about the transmission pan. Otherwise it would have come with a beefy finned aluminum one instead of plastic. You do you, but I don’t want a hole in mine. Mall crawlers need not worry.
Sponsored