Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am for sure going to buy the 2.3 tune and I would prefer to install it myself. From my understanding if you install it yourself you void your warranty? Does that sound right? If yes, I am also guessing it also would void an extended warranty if purchased...is that also correct?

If you get it installed by an ASE certified technician how does Ford know it was installed by one? How do you prove it?

I searched and couldn't find anything that answers these specifically, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford has to be able to prove the aftermarket product caused the failure they won’t warranty. The tune is either installed correctly or it won’t work on the vehicle.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like he said above, no one part can completely void any warranty. At the same time you will never be told 100% that apart won't void a warranty even if it's sold by Ford. You just have to hope for the best, also look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act.

JunitoNo1

Badlands
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did all the legwork for the tune, myself. Backed up my original tune and downloaded the FP tune to the procal. Handed it over to the dealer and told them to just press flash and we're done. They even did it in the parking lot and didn't charge me. In and out in 10 min and it's now under warranty.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did all the legwork for the tune, myself. Backed up my original tune and downloaded the FP tune to the procal. Handed it over to the dealer and told them to just press flash and we're done. They even did it in the parking lot and didn't charge me. In and out in 10 min and it's now under warranty.
So getting back to the OP question , how do you prove the dealer did the install and you did not do it yourself ?

Also by invoking the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act you bring in lawyer fees . No dealer is just going to cower in the corner just because you mention that act,lol. If they want to deny the warranty they will . It will be up to you to fight it.

Sponsored

JunitoNo1

Badlands
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So getting back to the OP question , how do you prove the dealer did the install and you did not do it yourself ?

Also by invoking the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act you bring in lawyer fees . No dealer is just going to cower in the corner just because you mention that act,lol. If they want to deny the warranty they will . It will be up to you to fight it.

Dealer wrote on the service record, "C/S that they need dealer to install/flash Ford performance procal software as to retain warranty. Software installed for customer". It's on them now.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep in mind, the warranty is from original vehicle purchase. I'm 500 miles from 36k so moot point for me...

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought an extended warranty up to 100k or 9 years.

Old Codger

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have an ASE certified mechanic flash it for you and give you an invoice/receipt, even if it's a no charge invoice.

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford has to be able to prove the aftermarket product caused the failure they won’t warranty. The tune is either installed correctly or it won’t work on the vehicle.
This may be true but it’s surprisingly easy for them to do this. Especially since it doesn’t need to stand on any technical merit at all (at least until it gets to a court, if and only if you escalate it that far). They just need to say no for whatever reason they want, and that throws the burden back on you to attempt to force their hand. You are the one out a Bronco after all and only have whatever leverage you can create (be it legal or public opinion or by being a nuisance)

Sponsored

beerbar

Outer Banks
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I bought an extended warranty up to 100k or 9 years.
I called Ford directly on the extended warranty portion of the tune because all the local dealers were hesitant to answer and Ford said NO, its only for the 3yr 36k. They also said that you have coverage but if they determine the tune was responsible for the engine failure then you are SOL

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I called Ford directly on the extended warranty portion of the tune because all the local dealers were hesitant to answer and Ford said NO, its only for the 3yr 36k. They also said that you have coverage but if they determine the tune was responsible for the engine failure then you are SOL
Ha! If they decide THEIR tune caused the issue it’d be a denied warranty claim. Just comical. That’s makes me less inclined to get it…

RobWTX

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I you are worried the tuner could cause some harm that Ford would say, "Sorry, you are SOL", then don't get it. I've never let the warranty bother any modifications I have done to any of my vehicles, dating back to my 93 Mustang 5.0, and most recently my '18 F-150.
The '93 was easy to tune, just plug a chip in the EECU, lol.

On my '01 Mustang, I had a Vortech blower on it pushing 400 RWHP, took it in for a bad AC, Ford fixed it under warranty. Of all the vehicles I've owned, just the 01 has ever needed anything fixed/replaced under warranty.

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I you are worried the tuner could cause some harm that Ford would say, "Sorry, you are SOL", then don't get it. I've never let the warranty bother any modifications I have done to any of my vehicles, dating back to my 93 Mustang 5.0, and most recently my '18 F-150.
The '93 was easy to tune, just plug a chip in the EECU, lol.

On my '01 Mustang, I had a Vortech blower on it pushing 400 RWHP, took it in for a bad AC, Ford fixed it under warranty. Of all the vehicles I've owned, just the 01 has ever needed anything fixed/replaced under warranty.
If I buy a tune from Ford who claims it’s fine for 3/36 I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect it should be fine for the extended warranty I bought directly from them.

1 second off 0-60 isn’t worth the piece of mind. Plenty of other mods that I can do with that cash.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So Pro Cal has more things that it can do than just the Tune.

The Tune is definitely the big draw - if you haven't driven your Bronco without it, you are missing out, it definitely changes the way the horse handles.

It also acts as a code reader, and you can reset DTSC codes with it. It lets you view CAN parameters in realtime, and also can do some data logging (say you were logging 1/4 mile runs or something, I don't know). You can also calibrate your speedometer.

That said, we are seeing more Ford Performance aftermarket stuff start to "require" it - upgrading to a m210 FDU, upgrading to the HOSS 3 steering rack, etc - all can now be programmed without the dealer if you have Pro Cal.

Now - all of that can be done without Pro Cal - you just need a dongle and the correct software (either FDRS or Forscan), but it's kind of nice that ProCal can do it without needing a separate dongle.

For the warranty support - I figure with all the stuff I've done, what's one more thing rolling the dice. With my luck, if it's going to break it's going to do it at 60,001 on the odometer anyway. It makes the Bronco so much better to drive I don't really mind.

With all of that - if you jsut want a good tune - there are plenty of options, Pro Cal isn't the only one in town, nor is it the fastest or most performance. But I'd say it's probably the least likely to cause issues, and being a Ford thing no one is going to raise an eyebrow if they happen to see that it's installed - it's street legal and doesn't leave anything physical on the truck.
Sponsored