Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These noise issue reports are the only thing keeping me from completing my order. To those of you who have been experiencing noises, I am curious if these issues are truly bothersome and in need of design/manufacturing improvement OR if they are minimal, few and far between, and easy to fix. From these posts, I am gathering that the noises are a legitimate issue that might be worthy of waiting for clear fixes from TOR or some sort of design/production update. Backstory: I have spent months tracking down random noises in my Bronco (like many others), with some success, and the idea of adding another potential culprit to my build is definitely worrisome and is making me hesitate to purchase this top. I totally understand that any removable/flexible top is going to make noises but I would like to hear how @Turn Offroad will be addressing these issues in the design/production of these tops to prevent them from happening rather than implementing temporary solutions after install, which in my Bronco's case, aren't very effective long-term.

If I am completely off-base and overstating these issues, please do let me know, as I'd be thrilled to hear there isn't a real cause for concern. I know TOR has been incredible with helping customers fix these issues, which is great, but I do see some questionable open-ended accounts of noise issues that give me pause. Any customer insight or clarification from @Turn Offroad would help sway me. Thanks for your help!
i haven’t read up on any TOR top noise issues, so forgive my ignorance, but I do think we will always have some level of hardtop noise/squeaks/etc with the Bronco because it’s a removable design. Just part of the charm. And whenever possible just take the whole thing off and enjoy baby! Sky view experience with 0 top noise then haha!
I think the noises are probably being overstated. Most of the TOR hard top users are coming from a soft top. The soft top is very noisy, and I think the expectation of those finally able to get a hard top were expecting no noise. But yes, any sort of removable top is going to have some noise, including the OEM MIC top at times.
Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have the TOR top and recently installed the TOR tailgate reinforcement. After putting on the top, I heard a lot of noise that I hadn't noticed before because the soft-top was a rattle trap. After putting on the tailgate reinforcement, 95% of the noises are gone. I think the great bulk of noise is the tailgate. The TOR tailgate reinforcement replaces the factory hinges and the tailgate attaches directly to the reinforcement. After you've removed the tailgate and you realize how light it is (You can carry it with one hand!), you'll understand why it squeaks so much... The only slight squeak I have under certain circumstances is on the passenger side, but I think I can fix it with some Krytox lube when I remove the top soon. I can say without a doubt, my wife's OEM hard top is significantly noisier than the TOR top.

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These noise issue reports are the only thing keeping me from completing my order. To those of you who have been experiencing noises, I am curious if these issues are truly bothersome and in need of design/manufacturing improvement OR if they are minimal, few and far between, and easy to fix. From these posts, I am gathering that the noises are a legitimate issue that might be worthy of waiting for clear fixes from TOR or some sort of design/production update. Backstory: I have spent months tracking down
For me personally, I think moving from soft top to the TOR hardtop, there were already present squeaks and rattles that either I attributed to the soft top or were drowned out by the wind noise, that are more evident/louder with the hardtop.
There’s a definite overall difference in general noise level between the two, so it’s easier to hear everything now.
I'm sure there are isolated issues, such as a loose screw or bolt Here and there, or rear glass needing a slight adjustment.
( I still haven’t tested driving a bit with the rear glass open, which show how concerned I am with that).
I have no issues with trying to make a good product better with tweaks and adjustments, but I think any noise “issues” with the TOR top are overblown.

Last edited:

BoverW

Black Diamond
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These noise issue reports are the only thing keeping me from completing my order. To those of you who have been experiencing noises, I am curious if these issues are truly bothersome and in need of design/manufacturing improvement OR if they are minimal, few and far between, and easy to fix. From these posts, I am gathering that the noises are a legitimate issue that might be worthy of waiting for clear fixes from TOR or some sort of design/production update. Backstory: I have spent months tracking down random noises in my Bronco (like many others), with some success, and the idea of adding another potential culprit to my build is definitely worrisome and is making me hesitate to purchase this top. I totally understand that any removable/flexible top is going to make noises but I would like to hear how @Turn Offroad will be addressing these issues in the design/production of these tops to prevent them from happening rather than implementing temporary solutions after install, which in my Bronco's case, aren't very effective long-term.

If I am completely off-base and overstating these issues, please do let me know, as I'd be thrilled to hear there isn't a real cause for concern. I know TOR has been incredible with helping customers fix these issues, which is great, but I do see some questionable open-ended accounts of noise issues that give me pause. Any customer insight or clarification from @Turn Offroad would help sway me. Thanks for your help!
The fix suggested by TOR eliminates the noise by now, I did it and it works. Does it mean it is a bad hardtop? No. It is a great one.

Wind & road noise is inevitable. If you drive over uneven roads, TOR is better than OEM design for sure. OEM has all the squeaking and clicking noise. TOR is noticeably quiet, as long as you adjust & tighten the latch. On the highway, it is a bit more noisy than the AC hardtop, but I think TOR will provide a better headliner to match.

I think the standard should be no weird noise, like no clicking, squeaks, or rattles. If TOR can improve it, it does not harm us as a customer. As an early adopter, I think we should test and find problems to improve the products, instead of thinking it is good enough.

So I have the TOR top and recently installed the TOR tailgate reinforcement. After putting on the top, I heard a lot of noise that I hadn't noticed before because the soft-top was a rattle trap. After putting on the tailgate reinforcement, 95% of the noises are gone. I think the great bulk of noise is the tailgate. The TOR tailgate reinforcement replaces the factory hinges and the tailgate attaches directly to the reinforcement. After you've removed the tailgate and you realize how light it is (You can carry it with one hand!), you'll understand why it squeaks so much... The only slight squeak I have under certain circumstances is on the passenger side, but I think I can fix it with some Krytox lube when I remove the top soon. I can say without a doubt, my wife's OEM hard top is significantly noisier than the TOR top.
Agree with this. Ford failed to make a good tailgate design, and TOR nailed it with a better beefy hinge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey guys,

We have been following along with, and having individual discussions regarding, noises heard after installing our hard tops on the 2021+ Bronco models. We want to assure you that at Turn Offroad, your feedback and satisfaction are paramount.

It's important to note that in many cases, these noises were present before the installation of our hard top. The superior insulation and quietness of our hard top might make these existing sounds more noticeable than before. However, we take each concern seriously and are committed to continuous improvement.

We are passionate about providing not only a top-quality product but also top-quality service. If you experience any issues or have any concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out directly. We're here to help and ensure that your Bronco experience is nothing short of exceptional. Your feedback is invaluable as it helps us refine and enhance our products.

In that spirit we've recently discovered something we'd like to share for anyone who may be hearing a clunking noise coming from the C pillar area. Special thanks to @604Bronco and @BoverW for calling this to our attention.

Our hardtop uses a 1/2" D seal to insulate against the C pillar. When installed correctly this D seal sits on the C pillar like in the photo below and provides a cushion between the top and C pillar.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_1090

Sometimes during install this seal is getting pushed toward the inside and when the top is tightened down it no longer sits between the C pillar and the top and over time it can move over to where it stays in the incorrect position.

The remedy to this is just to unbolt the top, and push the D seal back into position. The first photo shows the incorrect position and the second one shows the correct position.
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_1202

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_1203

A tiny dab of super glue can help hold it in place if the seals adhesive has lost its stickiness.
This tiny change will eliminate this noise. We will be updating our install video to add this as an additional thing to check when aligning and installing the top.

If any other common noise causing anomalies arise we will be sure to post here. We don't claim to be perfect but we will continue striving for perfection and listening to all of the feedback as it comes in.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, this top is 'flexible', so a bump could cause deformation and hit the panel, that is my understanding.

I am not sure this solution is worth the effort. It may come back again after a weekend or so. I will be the guinea pig for it. Cole said he would investigate this and update.

Look back to OEM design, they leave a few mms (I like metric, lol) at the corner. Maybe they have tested and know it will happen.

lower than plastic trim--> maybe grind it down as a slope or something?
The imperial (english) system has advantages over metric when it comes to measurement. Why is that? Think about it before you read on, the answer is obvious. What system do computers use? Inch measurements are based on the power of 2, like computers!! This has advnatages for machine tools. For example you can't get a threading dial for many metric lathes and if available its complex and expensive. On an inch lathe it's a simple inexpensive device. Plus measurement units based on the power of 2 (1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8...) is very useful for machinest scales where each unit is 2X the next. For metric you go from mm to cm, which is 10X not very useful. At the end of the day its just another system of measurement, but there are reasons why engineers and machinists still use the imperial system today. What does this have to do with the Bronco? Ford should have stayed with the imperial system, we wouldn't be having so many problems with our Broncos 🤣

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_1203
Question for the group. Does this soft top bracket come on the hard top models too? I’m going to sell my 2023 soft top, but If it doesn’t sell, and I end up keeping I’d rather just leave this part (picture) bolted on. My Turn top gets delivered tomorrow. TIA
Don't forget about the two latch landings on each side of the cargo area. These landings are for the two latches you undo when using the prop rod on the soft top. I sold my soft top, and ended up having to ship these to the buyer. Plus the soft top buyer will need the plastic covers that go over the bracket shown above, it has a slot on the top hard top bronco's don't have. If you sell your hard top, asks the buyer to swap the covers with you, and you will both have what you need.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be blunt: you’re nuts for not buying this hard top. It’s amazing AF, and although a couple small things have popped up, @Turn Offroad has stood by to support.

In my instance, the noise issues I've had were for different reasons. Some of it was coming from external factors, not relating to the hard top. For example, the tail gate. Now that it's considerably quieter in the vehicle with this hard top vs. my soft top I had, you notice a lot more. I fixed this with TOR's rear tailgate reinforcement bracket. For the noise that was relating to the hardtop, it was to do with the seal getting tucked under the plastic on the C pillar, like @Turn Offroad just posted about today. That blame can be on me, not knowing the seal needed to be seated a specific way upon installation - The passenger side was fine, but the drivers side had issues. I resolved this with a small piece of weather stripping to place in the area which is essentially doing the same thing as the "factory" seal that was there. Not a big deal, and not only is TOR updating their installation video to note this, but they also offered to ship me a new seal - Should I require it down the road.

Being in one of the first batches on a brand new hard top has some risk. However, the minimal items that has come up, TOR has been there to answer quickly, troubleshoot, or find a solution. Even when it's something dumb that I've done, they've been more than supportive and stood by their product and customer. The items popping up early days is going to help future customers, like yourself, have an even better product or installation information to help you.

I have zero regrets, and I have zero affiliation with the company. I truly enjoy this product! I would not hesitate to buy it.

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We actually borrow a technique used in aerospace and use a honeycomb somewhat similar to factory but the major difference is it is completely coated in resin and allowed to dry before we put the final layer of fiberglass.

This adds a lot of material costs to the production which is why they skip this with the OEM tops but the result is what makes our tops so strong. It’s also really good insulation because of all of the tiny pockets of air.

The problem with the OEM top is that they lay it all up super thin and then the cardboard that they put in the middle is completely dry and not at all penetrated with resin. This makes production cheaper but doesn’t create nearly as durable of a product.

The OEM top has given the use of honeycomb a bad reputation but when executed correctly it really is the most tried and true way to build strong fiberglass parts. It’s used everywhere from space shuttles to the blades on wind driven generators.

Foam doesn’t provide any support or rigidity and basically just fills a gap left after gluing the inner and outer portions of a product together.

Hope that helps shed some light!
Do you have an opinion about the outer skin of the OEM top?

There are a few small spider cracks on my OEM top outer surface. I don't see that it's from impact or issues with the honeycomb middle. Rather it seems the OEM outer skin is either too thin or not up to the needed flexibility or outdoor elements.

I think the TOR outer skin is made of fiberglass? Anyone know what the OEM outer skin is made of?

BeerRunner

Badlands
First Name
LUKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget about the two latch landings on each side of the cargo area. These landings are for the two latches you undo when using the prop rod on the soft top. I sold my soft top, and ended up having to ship these to the buyer. Plus the soft top buyer will need the plastic covers that go over the bracket shown above, it has a slot on the top hard top bronco's don't have. If you sell your hard top, asks the buyer to swap the covers with you, and you will both have what you need.
Great insight! Thank you :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you have an opinion about the outer skin of the OEM top?

There are a few small spider cracks on my OEM top outer surface. I don't see that it's from impact or issues with the honeycomb middle. Rather it seems the OEM outer skin is either too thin or not up to the needed flexibility or outdoor elements.

I think the TOR outer skin is made of fiberglass? Anyone know what the OEM outer skin is made of?
The OEM hard top is made of really really thin material on the outside and inside it has dry cardboard with no resin penetration. There are a lot of threads that outline the same issues you're experiencing, I'd recommend showing your dealer what is happening to see if they'll warranty it.

Our top is strong enough to support over 1200 lbs. We know because we tried it!

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_4416.JPEG

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Turn Offroad

I would be interested in a Bronco accessory to make the rear cargo area the same heigth as the folded rear seat. Ford offers the slide out table but its very expensive and I don't need a slide out table. Something that makes a flat floor with some storage under would be perfect.

Roadbeast

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hey guys,

We have been following along with, and having individual discussions regarding, noises heard after installing our hard tops on the 2021+ Bronco models. We want to assure you that at Turn Offroad, your feedback and satisfaction are paramount.

It's important to note that in many cases, these noises were present before the installation of our hard top. The superior insulation and quietness of our hard top might make these existing sounds more noticeable than before. However, we take each concern seriously and are committed to continuous improvement.

We are passionate about providing not only a top-quality product but also top-quality service. If you experience any issues or have any concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out directly. We're here to help and ensure that your Bronco experience is nothing short of exceptional. Your feedback is invaluable as it helps us refine and enhance our products.

In that spirit we've recently discovered something we'd like to share for anyone who may be hearing a clunking noise coming from the C pillar area. Special thanks to @604Bronco and @BoverW for calling this to our attention.

Our hardtop uses a 1/2" D seal to insulate against the C pillar. When installed correctly this D seal sits on the C pillar like in the photo below and provides a cushion between the top and C pillar.

Sometimes during install this seal is getting pushed toward the inside and when the top is tightened down it no longer sits between the C pillar and the top and over time it can move over to where it stays in the incorrect position.

The remedy to this is just to unbolt the top, and push the D seal back into position. The first photo shows the incorrect position and the second one shows the correct position.

A tiny dab of super glue can help hold it in place if the seals adhesive has lost its stickiness.
This tiny change will eliminate this noise. We will be updating our install video to add this as an additional thing to check when aligning and installing the top.

If any other common noise causing anomalies arise we will be sure to post here. We don't claim to be perfect but we will continue striving for perfection and listening to all of the feedback as it comes in.

Thanks guys!
So after reading this tread. I realizing my seal on my C post was not in the correct position. So I pulled the hard top off today and yep, it was not correctly place. No fault of Turn Offroad. I have had my top off and on multiple times messing with the Bronco brace.
I decided to add a very small piece of weather seal to the C-Post location and I thought, why not add some to where the top sits on the truck.
Gonna test it out and see if it makes any difference. I do have a rattle over small bumps occasionally. I also took the opportunity to tighten a few of the shock connection points and the hinge where the window connects to the hardtop. I will report back. As always, TOR is a great company and I appreciate the little tweaks and fixes.

20240418_105817.jpg

20240418_102823.jpg

20240418_102833.jpg

20240418_101258.jpg

20240418_105845.jpg

20240418_101136.jpg

20240418_105832.jpg

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So after reading this tread. I realizing my seal on my C post was not in the correct position. So I pulled the hard top off today and yep, it was not correctly place. No fault of Turn Offroad. I have had my top off and on multiple times messing with the Bronco brace.
I decided to add a very small piece of weather seal to the C-Post location and I thought, why not add some to where the top sits on the truck.
Gonna test it out and see if it makes any difference. I do have a rattle over small bumps occasionally. I also took the opportunity to tighten a few of the shock connection points and the hinge where the window connects to the hardtop. I will report back. As always, TOR is a great company and I appreciate the little tweaks and fixes.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE 20240418_105832

That's funny, that looks like the exact same weatherstripping I picked up and used on my drivers side to fix my C pillar issue too. It works awesome, and being actual Automotive/Marine weatherstripping, it should serve the same purpose and durability as what was installed in the first place.

For anyone else looking to tuck in a small piece on that C pillar area: You don't need to remove the entire hard top to do this. I simply unbolted the drivers side bolts in the cargo area, and wedged a small plastic trim tool between the hard top (where the bolts go) and the body of the Bronco. This was enough to create a very small lift on the C pillar area, and was enough to neatly tuck the small weatherstrip piece into. The only thing I'd caution you on is if you take a similar approach, don't wedge anything too big back there - A small trim tool was all I needed, and I could have probably just lifted the hard top slightly by hand without that.
Sponsored