Sponsored

Turning in 4WD

Deleted member 32220

That’s not how it works.
It’s exactly how it works, there is no center differential in the 4a T-case. Ball cam and clutch packs can lock and unlock front as computer see’s fit.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It’s exactly how it works, there is no center differential in the 4a T-case. Ball cam and clutch packs can lock and unlock front as computer see’s fit.

4:20 in the video describes 4A differs from 4Hi and how 4A simultaneously provides torque to front but also allows for slip to prevent binding

it’s very clearly not an identical setup to 4Hi or “Auto 4Hi”.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

actually an easy mistake to make if new to this kind of 4x4 and OP has a point that sales people should probably point that out. Yes, read the manual, but nobody is gonna do that before driving off the lot and maybe getting curious about the buttons and all that. Or maybe a warning should show up explaining this with an option to "don't show this warning again".
Somebody new to this kind of vehicle might even come from some other AWD where they never had to think about it.

Glad nothing broke, glad I read about this on the JL forum while making my mind up on which Wrangler to buy (but then the Bronco was revealed....) so I knew.

As for how the 4A works, no idea, just know it works with no binding when I tried it, though I'd only turn it on when it's slippery. Which is rare here.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank goodness he didn’t get front and rear lockers.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay I put my truck in four wheel drive for the first time today. When I turn my steering wheel hard on either direction going forward for backward from a stop my truck comes to a sudden stop when I release the gas. It does not act that way in two wheel drive. Something is definitely off and doesn’t feel right. Any thoughts/ideas?!
Big Bend Bronco comes standard with part-time 4wd. Read the owners manual to understand what that means specifically but in general, that means do not engage unless on low traction surfaces. Driven on any other type of surface increases wear and risks damage.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You just completely contradicted yourself. I have the case in my vehicle. I have driven it extensively, the front and rear wheels can be driven at different speeds. That is a differential.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Since a lot of places started using brine/salt in their lots these days. You could sit at a gas station, grocery store parking lot here and watch all the part time 4x4 trucks and SUVs going full lock, bucking, jumping and listening to their studded snow tires scratch on the wet pavement as their drivers go on making their turn or pulling into/out of a parking space. Since the roads aren't treated but with a little gravel people just forget or don't know to shift to 2wd once they get in the parking lot.

It's remarkable how much stress they can take without just blowing up.

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay I put my truck in four wheel drive for the first time today. When I turn my steering wheel hard on either direction going forward for backward from a stop my truck comes to a sudden stop when I release the gas. It does not act that way in two wheel drive. Something is definitely off and doesn’t feel right. Any thoughts/ideas?!
If you live in an area with snow/icy conditions I’d also find an empty parking lot and practice in 4WD. The vehicle will behave in a counterintuitive way at times. Example, there are times when staying on the gas or slowly decelerating is much safer than braking. Just a thought so you're not surprised on the road one day.

Sponsored

Deleted member 32220

You just completely contradicted yourself. I have the case in my vehicle. I have driven it extensively, the front and rear wheels can be driven at different speeds. That is a differential.
The first post was meant for the OP, the second one I stand by.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was in my bronco testing it out tonight on snow. Then the power delivery gauge must be lying. Like I said try it yourself watch the gauge when your on the throttle.

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Considering I have never owned a vehicle with a 4x4 system like this and my salesman said exactly nothing to this affect, was it actually too much to think my vehicle could turn in four wheel drive?! For the experts out there, I apologize for offending the four wheel drive gods.
Considering you have never owned a vehicle with a 4x4 system like this, was it actually too much to expect you to read the manual?

I just don't get where people's heads are at. They buy the second most expensive thing they are ever likely to buy, and just completely skip learning anything about it? How much time does it take to go through an owners manual? My Gladiator's manual took me maybe an hour. My Bronco's manual should take about the same time when I get mine.

I don't think you've offended the 4wd Gods. I think you've offended the "Read the Manual" Gods

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP don’t feel too bad. Just about everyone (even the four wheel gods!) go thru a learning curve when starting out on a vehicle like the Bronco. A few break something, but most, like you, figure it all out. I learned on an old IH Scout. Lucky for me, it was sturdily built like an old tractor (duh) and my lessons didn’t involve breaking anything. If you want to deep dive into how things work, here’s a great Jalopnik artIcle that i’ve seen posted on here a few times. Have fun!

https://jalopnik.com/how-all-wheel-drive-works-a-ridiculously-detailed-tech-1846233533

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/ford-raptor-features-new-cutting-edge-transfer-case/

“Ford engineers sought to enhance the daily driving experience of Raptor while preserving its impressive off-road capabilities. With the clutch-based feature of the transfer case, drivers can travel on-road using the four-wheel drive auto setting, which delivers the benefit of four-wheel drive without the repercussions of component damage or driveline binding—something that can occur when drivers try to use mechanically locked systems on high-traction surfaces like pavement.”

Similar case to the 4A in the Bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited: