First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150XLT 3.5EB
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didnt even know there was a 3.0l EB. Just read this on Jalopnik "The 3.0-liter EcoBoost is currently rated at 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque in the MKZ and Continental "

Well, yep, that would work!!!
Sponsored

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I read that the Wrangler is not going to get Jeep's V8 even though it fits into the engine compartment like a hand in a glove. The reason why Jeep can't have that engine in the car is because there will not be any buffer space left for body compression / shock absorption in case of collision / crash .... So due to road safety reasons the authorities would not allow that.
It would be a big surprise if Ford would be able to fit a V8 in the Bronco's engine bay and get the road safety permit from the authorities. Then it would be a serious competitor of the Wranbgler. But unfortunately Ford has not communicated such a plan :frown: I don't know if anyone at Ford is thinking about this opportunity and give it a try at least to test it.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
There has always been 0% chance the Bronco will get a V8. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Especially with fuel economy standards cranking up, they need every bit of help they can get to make the bronco fuel efficient as well as capable. Especially with the weight a V8 adds it’s just not gonna happen.

The good news is that the Ecoboost engines that will be offered, whether it’s the I4, 2.7, 3.0, or 3.5 are all awesome engines and be insanely capable.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read that the Wrangler is not going to get Jeep's V8 even though it fits into the engine compartment like a hand in a glove. The reason why Jeep can't have that engine in the car is because there will not be any buffer space left for body compression / shock absorption in case of collision / crash .... ...It would be a big surprise if Ford would be able to fit a V8 in the Bronco's engine bay and get the road safety permit from the authorities. Then it would be a serious competitor of the Wranbgler. But unfortunately Ford has not communicated such a plan :frown: I don't know if anyone at Ford is thinking about this opportunity and give it a try at least to test it.
We already know it's long enough to fit 4 cylinders inline, most vehicles can, and the Ranger and Everest manages to fit 5 inline cylinders (3.2L). If the adjustments made to the new frame/body allow V-configurations engines, it should have space for a naturally aspirated 5L V8 too.

One of the limitations with the Wrangler that is unlikely to be present in the Bronco is body width. A Wrangler has a cabin that is only 60 inches wide, and the dovetailed engine compartment is even narrower. The Ranger, Everest, and probably Bronco as well, have a 72 inch wide body, with a relatively square engine bay ... plenty of room.

The Coyote is an aluminum block, while many of Ford's Ecoboost engines have iron blocks to handle the higher compression necessary with turbo boosting ... so weight really isn't much of a factor either. In any case, if the suspension couldn't handle a heavier engine, it would probably suck when people put aftermarket bumpers etc. on it too.

Even with a V6 the Wrangler gets dreadful safety ratings. People don't care ... they aren't buying it for safety.

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey guys, I was just saying what if... ?

I read through a lot of threads on this forum, and I also realized that the V8 is out of the question. But as Stampede.Offroad says above (and I agree with all of his points), that the Bronco's engine bay probably is fit to house a V8, and as the automotive world knows about the unavailability of V8 for the Wrangler straight from the dealers (so no aftermarket 10k$ +, and further authorisation issues to deal with), then maybe the idea pops up in one of Fords employees mind that the Bronco V8 option would give them the Royal Flush Vs. the Wrangler.

I know about emisison regulations forcing car manufacturers. But the thing is that with present regulation a car manufacturer can have a couple of big displacement volume models next to the ULEV or possibly ZLEV emission model lineup dominating its sales. What I am saying is that if you sell 500000 Ford Focus or other ULEV / ZLEV models worldwide and you sell 10 or 50000 V8 and another 100-200000 V6 or inline Ecoboost Broncos worldwide in my opinion would not lead the company to bankruptcy or worldwide ban of selling cars due to emissions standards. Also if your V8 Bronco's price over the V6 or inline Ecoboost Bronco would be much less than the 10k $ pricetag of the AEV swap, then again you can expect for a proper group of "niche" car clientele.
Just my ideas / please don't shoot :blush:
But what if ...???

Sponsored

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
just an example, BMW is still keeping the V12 engine at least until 2023. This block is used in the 7 series and also in the Rolls Royce :) Now how many of these cars are sold yearly worldwide compared to the hundreds of thousands small(er) displacement engines that they are selling? So if BMW can have a V12 why could not Ford have at least a V8??? Just saying / asking.

again ... what if ...?:):D

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the absence of a V8 in the Jeep's case as well as the soon to be Bronco's is CAFE standards, not safety, fitment, or weight. ... the Ecoboost engines score well with the EPA's test procedures so they provide a much better CAFE score for Ford, regardless of what actual owners are getting day in and day out. ... most people with 300+ horsepower have a hard time not using that power, so realistically the fuel economy advantage is not really there to the degree Ford and the EPA numbers would suggest....
Which is where the "hybrid everything" comes in for Ford. The engine options will be priced to encourage the necessary CAFE score. A big NA Coyote can have an upcharge greater than the 2L turbo hybrid, even though the cost to produce the hybrid is probably much greater -- people who want the traditional vehicle will subsidize the "green" powertrains. Just like they do everywhere else -- fuel taxes, etc.

If they were priced according the cost, I'm sure the Coyote would outsell any hybrid / electric option 10:1. But due to regulations, Ford needs to sell the "green" units to offset even a standard 4 or 6 cylinder truck. These things aren't being built because the economy is driving sales, it is totally top-down.

A comprable technology is electronic-stop-start systems. Tons of buyers absolutely hate this "feature", no automaker in their right mind would put something like that in their vehicles if they didn't have to -- but to game the CAFE standards and testing, these systems are everywhere and are on by default. If it is "well designed" they can be defeated easily, and buyers will tolerate them.

Last edited:

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
just a cartoon for the emission fools / of course Diesel can be easily interchanged with Petrol but the meaning is the same :D
driving-diesel-car-i-feel-so-dirty-driving-electric-car-i-feel-so-clean-comparison-650x467.jpg

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yup!! What a lot of people do not realize! haha!

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I used to have an electric lawnmower. I only had a small yard, and it stowed easily in a spot under the porch where a gas mower would have been more difficult, as it was folded and standing against the wall on the rear two wheels.

I lived in a very trendy neighborhood of professional millennials. Many commented on my earth-consciousness in choosing a climate-friendly electric mower. I loved to point out that it was "coal fired, with nuclear backup".

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't forget the literal tons of toxic waste produced mining and refining the rare metals for batteries and electronics each car will need.

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK I see we are getting offtopic with this, sorry for the picture, of course we could fill terrabytes of forumspace with the ecofriendly debates. But let's hold on to the Bronco here.
Actually if there will be a hybrid version maybe I would consider buiying, just because governement regulations and smaller taxes :D but I would never consider a full electric vehicle for offfroading. Because in our Transylvanian realms you can not find recharge stations :giggle: and probably in the next 20 years there will be only in the cities.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Forget a coyote, I'd drop a 427 alum headed, TB inj, W based stroker before wasting my time on a 5.0
that's as big as BB. But I also don't plan on buying a new bronco new. In fact I'd probably get a light wreck
if anything, as there won't be much stock left of it, if I get one.

It's a shame the new bronco didn't come out 9 years ago. It would have been coyote based, much simpler
in options, probably lighter (due to less options/safety crap) and been ripe for some serious offroad modding
with used one's.
Sponsored