Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought I saw a similar thread but, I read that FordPass and some of the Ford's vehicles, when connected to a wireless, will transit all your driving habits and speeds to the your insurance company (I think it was 2 or the large insurance companies at this point)?

I am sure it has to be in some 130 electronic agreement that you just scroll to the bottom and accept, but does Ford publish their privacy statement where this is spelled out.

What information is sent to Ford, to third parties, to insurance companies, to state or feds, to google/amazon. What do they see from your driving habits? Cn I op out of all of it? Their voice recognition on the Bronco, assume they are always listening. What do they collect? Can you turn ALL THE VOICE OFF? Is this going to be the same as your phone now? And yes, Siri is turned off there too, but you never know...
Sponsored

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought I saw a similar thread but, I read that FordPass and some of the Ford's vehicles, when connected to a wireless, will transit all your driving habits and speeds to the your insurance company (I think it was 2 or the large insurance companies at this point)?

I am sure it has to be in some 130 electronic agreement that you just scroll to the bottom and accept, but does Ford publish their privacy statement where this is spelled out.

What information is sent to Ford, to third parties, to insurance companies, to state or feds, to google/amazon. What do they see from your driving habits? Cn I op out of all of it? Their voice recognition on the Bronco, assume they are always listening. What do they collect? Can you turn ALL THE VOICE OFF? Is this going to be the same as your phone now? And yes, Siri is turned off there too, but you never know...
It's a completely opt-in option. Not required. Chevy does the same thing with my insurance company, and I get$25/month off my monthly bill.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford charges the insurance company for the data and the company won’t pay for and probably cannot access the data without your permission. The same thing can and is done with devices connecting your obd II port or your phone. They typically look for hard braking and acceleration, as they are strong indicators of future losses. It can also be used for use age based insurance. Basically pay by the mile. It can also be used for crash detection, contacting you in case of an accident (notice triggered by sensors and or airbag deployment). All stuff that’s been around in one way or another for several years.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford charges the insurance company for the data and the company won’t pay for and probably cannot access the data without your permission. The same thing can and is done with devices connecting your obd II port or your phone. They typically look for hard braking and acceleration, as they are strong indicators of future losses. It can also be used for use age based insurance. Basically pay by the mile. It can also be used for crash detection, contacting you in case of an accident (notice triggered by sensors and or airbag deployment). All stuff that’s been around in one way or another for several years.
Having that gizmo hooked up to my OBDII was the worst six months of my life. 😄 The insurance companies use it to collect a lot of data about you so they can see if you are a higher risk under the guise of offering a discount. But the braking sensitivity was so high that you'd have to drive like a grandma. There were times when it went off just stopping normally for a light that was turning red. It made you start thinking it would be better to just blow through it. 😄

Yet another instance where someone else having access to my data is supposed to help me, but in the end it helps them.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having that gizmo hooked up to my OBDII was the worst six months of my life. 😄 The insurance companies use it to collect a lot of data about you so they can see if you are a higher risk under the guise of offering a discount. But the braking sensitivity was so high that you'd have to drive like a grandma. There were times when it went off just stopping normally for a light that was turning red. It made you start thinking it would be better to just blow through it. 😄

Yet another instance where someone else having access to my data is supposed to help me, but in the end it helps them.
It’s all perspective. I personally have not used any of the telemetry systems (other than testing our product so I could understand and provide feedback). For some, it’s great and they love the feedback and safe driving discount. Even being careful I had lots of braking and acceleration “incidents “ that wouldn’t get me much, if any discount. Useage based (UBI) is funky too. You would think it would be cheaper, it only charges by the mile, but for a host of reasons, it doesn’t work out , at least yet, to much savings or lower losses for insurance companies. I use one of the major companies and buy online. I have two younger drivers and their rates are very good, plus they write my motorcycles, boat and PWC at a competitive rate. They offer discounted rates for isotherm devices, but it’s not for me😉

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I used the Progressive one and don't drive my M4 like a grandma. Get a pretty good discount bc of it.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First thing when my Bronco gets home is the unplugging of the data transceiver antenna.

Just wait till Google gets into your car. It'll make you turn into the Costco parking lot. Lol

Sponsored

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't trust insurance companies AT ALL - have a somewhat bad history on various claims. They would LOVE to have this data to deny a claim based on your actions right before an accident. I'd rather pay an extra $80 a month than to give them grounds to screw me over on a claim.

OP
OP
SafariJeff

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So bringing this up again since I did convert my reservation with hesitations, only sandstone interior choices and tan dash for Wildtrak already pushed me a 2022 for possible other choices.

1. Can you turn off the voice listening system in Sync 4 so you are not being listened to 24/7?

2. I did hear that FordPass app gives all your info to Progressive and nationwide automatically, as in they pay for it?

So, how do you buy a new Bronco with Sync 4 and overt the air updates and not have your driving history, location info and speed vs speed limit down loaded and sold?

seananigans

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7l
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Your Smart TV also listens to what you watch and everything else it can hear. ACR data

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Ixr

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ages ago I got one of those obd tools from a insurance company. The first test ride i did with it i drove down the block and back, I drive a manual and pretty much never even braked. When I looked online I had 2 hard brakes from the one trip where I didnt even use brakes...I took it out that same night.

Just realized im replying to a almost 3 year old ild necro thread.
Sponsored