Internationalraptor

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Scout 2
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
After UPS’s monster union contract I’d say the UAW is going to be out for blood. I would say a strike is unavoidable. This could possibly push the remainder of ‘23 raptors into ‘24 and poof there goes everyone’s price protection. Mine is scheduled for production the week of August 28th like two weeks before the current contract ends.

Cutting it close!
Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After UPS’s monster union contract I’d say the UAW is going to be out for blood. I would say a strike is unavoidable. This could possibly push the remainder of ‘23 raptors into ‘24 and poof there goes everyone’s price protection. Mine is scheduled for production the week of August 28th like two weeks before the current contract ends.

Cutting it close!
posted this in another thread and I have to agree that it does certainly look like a strike is coming

Emd

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The contract grandstanding happens ever 3 years. UAW strikes don’t happen very often. If the UAW does strike it is after multiple extensions. Your bronco timing should not be affected.
The union is under new leadership and don't appear to be willing to negotiate much at this point. The strike vote always passes by 95 plus percent. With this leadership, you could definitely see a strike this time.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The union is under new leadership and don't appear to be willing to negotiate much at this point. The strike vote always passes by 95 plus percent. With this leadership, you could definitely see a strike this time.
It’s all talk beforehand. I haven’t seen a target identified yet, that’s the next step.

Sponsored

Emd

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s all talk beforehand. I haven’t seen a target identified yet, that’s the next step.
I'm not 100 percent positive because I retired in May, but my understanding is they are not announcing a target this year. I still talk to guys in the plant almost daily and they say this negotiation has been unlike any we saw the last 30 years. Union wants back everything we gave up in 2008 basically. I could be wrong but I've been inside this for 30 years and the guys im still friends with are telling me this.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We've had the worst inflation since World War II. Not "Argentina" bad, but bad, very bad. Everybody wants to catch up. Don't you?

PS: In Massachusetts, gas is poking at the $4.00 ceiling in some areas, $3.69+ elsewhere. Remember they exclude housing, food, energy/gasoline, and used cars from the inflation data. We all know it's lots higher than the "Rich Men North of Richmond" tell us.

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have heard UPS may vote this contract down! Guy I talked to thinks it's a good contract but the young guys don't want to wait the life of the contract for the increases, they want it all up front. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

My brother retired from ford many years ago. He said they ended the pension program an replaced it with a pretty solid 401K contribution. The problem with that is you have to work until you're 59.5 to access it without penalty, the good thing is it will probably deliver a much higher payout (if they are smart an contribute the max themselves). Back in the day of 30 and out many workers received a monthly pension for more years than they worked. Maybe a current UAW will chime in an give me the info. I retired from the USPS an they always told us "remember things can change every contract".

Jayhawker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We've had the worst inflation since World War II. Not "Argentina" bad, but bad, very bad. Everybody wants to catch up. Don't you?

PS: In Massachusetts, gas is poking at the $4.00 ceiling in some areas, $3.69+ elsewhere. Remember they exclude housing, food, energy/gasoline, and used cars from the inflation data. We all know it's lots higher than the "Rich Men North of Richmond" tell us.
I think the 70’s had a bit more inflation than we have seen in the last three years. Gas prices need to maintain these levels if you want a domestic oil and gas industry. They can’t survive at sub $60 barrels of oil.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the 70’s had a bit more inflation than we have seen in the last three years. Gas prices need to maintain these levels if you want a domestic oil and gas industry. They can’t survive at sub $60 barrels of oil.
The days of getting a home mortgage at 8% and thinking what a great deal that was...

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not 100 percent positive because I retired in May, but my understanding is they are not announcing a target this year. I still talk to guys in the plant almost daily and they say this negotiation has been unlike any we saw the last 30 years. Union wants back everything we gave up in 2008 basically. I could be wrong but I've been inside this for 30 years and the guys im still friends with are telling me this.
Chicken is an interesting game. Both sides stand to lose a lot short term and long term.

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t think the new UAW leadership is grandstanding. I think they’re dug in a little too deep and just like the 1970’s, another large wave of offshore is coming except this time it’s near-shore - to Mexico.

Factory towns like Hermosillo and Toluca are closer to a lot of the major US population centers than Detroit - Port Houston is only 1,000 miles. The trains to Houston and Tijuana are full every single day without fail - and they’re practically empty going back.

The UAW needs to tread lightly here. The move to EV is a seismic shift. They may as well make the whole enchilada, no pun intended, and move it to Mexico- lower costs, less regulations = more profit. I’m a Detroit kid. This is inevitable.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Want more money, pension, work fewer hours (32) and what is offered in return? Just show up or will they start giving a shit about workmanship? I'm looking at you Chicago Assembly 👀. Really tired of having to fix some of the don't give a f's that get shipped and have to fight to get paid to fix. These negotiations always seem one sided from my perch. Every time the UAW gets a big raise, Ford cuts service labor times and/or new vehicle margins to help offset some of the expense. Not to mention input costs= increased new vehicle costs.

Emd

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t think the new UAW leadership is grandstanding. I think they’re dug in a little too deep and just like the 1970’s, another large wave of offshore is coming except this time it’s near-shore - to Mexico.

Factory towns like Hermosillo and Toluca are closer to a lot of the major US population centers than Detroit - Port Houston is only 1,000 miles. The trains to Houston and Tijuana are full every single day without fail - and they’re practically empty going back.

The UAW needs to tread lightly here. The move to EV is a seismic shift. They may as well make the whole enchilada, no pun intended, and move it to Mexico- lower costs, less regulations = more profit. I’m a Detroit kid. This is inevitable.
It is a delicate time for negotiations for sure. I believe your assessment about the union leadership is probably correct. I think most of it stems from all the "give backs" we gave the company in 2008. I took a pay cut, lost COLA , lost holiday pay and the hourly employees worked for at least the next 10 years without a pay raise. The company, as soon as profitable gave back almost everything to salary employees that they took away. They refused to give back anything to the hourly work force. Again i agree this is a delicate time to "dig in" but if not now, When? When we gave up everything Ford asked us to(and we did) most of us thought we were bargaining in good faith. When profits returned, we quickly found out we were not. I hope there is no strike, but it really feels like there could be. I 100% support the UAW on this issue.