Sponsored

UPDATE PSA - If you have a Stabilizer Bar Disconnect and plan to run the RCI Transmission Skid BEWARE!!!

BLTom

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE

UPDATE PSA: If you are running the Icon Stage 3+ suspension kits they have a sway bar relocation bracket spacer added on the swaybar mount which means that you need to drop the RCI plate further with spacers to provide enough clearance or your s will end up looking like mine. Easy fix and RCI was great with their customer service along the way..

I have a friend that has been running with the whole skid plate system ¼” aluminum, since March 2023, I believe he really like the system because he has mentioned more the once how nice it was. I decided to order the system for myself. Then I told him about my order, his reply “oh man I recently discovered a problem”. I tried to cancel my order, but the Items had already shipped.

He recently discovered the stabilizer bar is in contact with the RCI transmission skid. When the stabilizer rotates it is cutting a groove in the plate. He has been in contact with RCI as well have I. RCI states they have had no other feedback of this happening of the 100’s they have sold so far. But they are looking into it. The bronco they have is not experiencing this “design flaw”. They think maybe it has to do with variation in manufacturing. They asked me to install the tranny plate to get my feedback. After agreeing to this and installing just the tranny skid it is in contact with the stabilizer wrack without even rotating. It is touching each other sitting on the level floor of my garage. So when driving there will be rotational contact creating damage.

I spoke with RCI this morning and told them my assessment of contact. They state they are going to redesign the plate for more clearance but who knows when that will happen. I was given the choice of returning the skid plate system for a full refund or they can send me some spacers, or I can come up with my own spacer.

If your running the RCI skids check the transmission plate and see if you have had any contact down there.
his
Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA - If you have a Stabilizer Bar Disconnect and plan to run the RCI Transmission Skid BEWARE!!! 2591026699882729649
Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA - If you have a Stabilizer Bar Disconnect and plan to run the RCI Transmission Skid BEWARE!!! -3951685490809319275
Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA - If you have a Stabilizer Bar Disconnect and plan to run the RCI Transmission Skid BEWARE!!! -7556292785722764840

mine

Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA - If you have a Stabilizer Bar Disconnect and plan to run the RCI Transmission Skid BEWARE!!! 20231227_154745
Sponsored

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I spoke with RCI this morning and told them my assessment of contact. They state they are going to redesign the plate for more clearance but who knows when that will happen. I was given the choice of returning the skid plate system for a full refund or they can send me some spacers, or I can come up with my own spacer.
To their credit, it appears that they are providing good customer service and giving you workable options. I've had a transmission skid plate on my "to do sometime" plans. I can't recall if an RCI was one of the ones I looked at, but I'll keep it in mind. I think there was at least one that allowed access to the drain plug without removing or something similarly helpful.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Problem is no one company makes everything great and even fewer have long term tested their product. RCI fuel tank, transmission and bash plate skids are a no go for multiple reasons. Your not getting any design just plate and spacers which not a design to begin with.

MPJKQzJxowWissOa3ipl8=w910-h512-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

However RCI Transfer case skid is flat and works well! Ohh and was $150 so they do make a few items that are worth it. Notice the lack of spacers and the rear support. This is also a low impact zone, so even the factory skid seems to be fine long term.
hKwCCEesUL_i4N1e84e-0=w910-h512-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Up to you what you do with them, none of the aftermarket skids really do a good job of addressing the sway bar disconnect models.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BLTom

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not bashing RCI in any way, they have been pretty good to up to this point. I just thought people should know if they already have them on their truck or are planning to get them. I plan to try the spacer option because the quality seems top notch otherwise to me

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To their credit, it appears that they are providing good customer service and giving you workable options. I've had a transmission skid plate on my "to do sometime" plans. I can't recall if an RCI was one of the ones I looked at, but I'll keep it in mind. I think there was at least one that allowed access to the drain plug without removing or something similarly helpful.
I am Tom's friend, and I posted about this a few weeks ago HERE. Yes, RCI has been fantastic so far. We are still trying to decipher if it's an issue with the skid design and lack of room when the sway bar rotates or if it's something just happening with my sway bar contacting the skid.

So far, I seem to be the only person with this issue, or maybe I am one of the few to remove the skid and find it. Either way, RCI has been great. They sent me a new one to test and I will keep you all posted.

I think having this post up is good, though, not to slam RCI they are awesome!, but because it will allow others with this skid to verify if, in fact, I am an anomaly or the canary in the coal mine.

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Problem is no one company makes everything great and even fewer have long term tested their product. RCI fuel tank, transmission and bash plate skids are a no go for multiple reasons. Your not getting any design just plate and spacers which not a design to begin with.
Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA - If you have a Stabilizer Bar Disconnect and plan to run the RCI Transmission Skid BEWARE!!! hKwCCEesUL_i4N1e84e-0=w910-h512-s-no-gm?authuser=0

However RCI Transfer case skid is flat and works well! Ohh and was $150 so they do make a few items that are worth it. Notice the lack of spacers and the rear support. This is also a low impact zone, so even the factory skid seems to be fine long term.
Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA - If you have a Stabilizer Bar Disconnect and plan to run the RCI Transmission Skid BEWARE!!! hKwCCEesUL_i4N1e84e-0=w910-h512-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Up to you what you do with them, none of the aftermarket skids really do a good job of addressing the sway bar disconnect models.

Do you have the transmission skid? If so, are you running it on a Bronco with a Sway Bar Disconnect? If so, does yours have contact from the sway bar? Thanks!

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just ordered the Talon Garage trans skid and they ask that they be contacted before ordering if one has electronic sway bar disconnect. I did that and received confirmation. Apparently the skid is bent differently to account for SBD.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you have the transmission skid? If so, are you running it on a Bronco with a Sway Bar Disconnect? If so, does yours have contact from the sway bar? Thanks!
Currently running Talon Garage Transmission skid and no sway bar disconnect. One of the local guys has RCI skids and doesn't have rubbing.

@WheelMe is on his second RCI Transmission Skid, maybe he can chime in.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd have to crawl under and look, but I don't think the e-disco is near the trans plate location on the 2dr 2.3L? 🤔 I know the 2.7 has the extra armor in that area.

I have the RCI skid plate, but it's been leaning on the wall for a month now. Guess I should watch out for that when I do install it and let y'all know.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll have to pull mine off and check it now.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@BLTom , Interesting and important post, thanks. I'm on my second RCI tranny skid, as the first one was badly damaged, caved in, and was touching some component above it (possibly the SBD). I've tossed this first one, unfortunately, but don't recall having seen anything out of the ordinary on the chassis (upper) side of the skid, though I wasn't really looking. I'll duck under the rig tomorrow morning and report back on whether my skid's touching the SBD, connected/disconnected.

I have two buddies with the same setup; I'll give them a heads-up. @robo

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@BLTom , Interesting and important post, thanks. I'm on my second RCI tranny skid, as the first one was badly damaged, caved in, and was touching some component above it (possibly the SBD). I've tossed this first one, unfortunately, but don't recall having seen anything out of the ordinary on the chassis (upper) side of the skid, though I wasn't really looking. I'll duck under the rig tomorrow morning and report back on whether my skid's touching the SBD, connected/disconnected.

I have two buddies with the same setup; I'll give them a heads-up. @robo
Thank you!

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just ordered the Talon Garage trans skid and they ask that they be contacted before ordering if one has electronic sway bar disconnect. I did that and received confirmation. Apparently the skid is bent differently to account for SBD.
Thanks! Yeah I reached out to Tyler aka BroncBuster weeks ago once I saw this issue for info about how they did the Talon Garage ones for this exact reason.
Sponsored