Sponsored

Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I haven’t seen anyone post anything on the Talons Garage aluminum transmission skid yet. I thought I’d share some pics. It was a very easy install, < 30 min. It looks great, and works with the OEM engine skid. I was hoping it would hug the crossmember supports a little closer. I may try to bang on the wings a bit to round them out and hug a bit more.

The funny thing is I had ordered the RCI transfer case skid also and they sent me a transmission skid by mistake! They were slammed through BF, but I got a call back late the next day and they immediately sent out the right skid and arranged a FedEx pickup for the wrong one. I was able to do some visual comparisons though while I had their skid…. The RCI transfer case skid will be here tomorrow.

The RCI transmission skid definitely covers less, but seemed to hug about the same when considering the same area of coverage between the 2. Talons may hug the transmission support 1/4” closer and the RCI seemed to bow out a bit more in the belly, likely so it works with the sway disco better. Talons has a gap at the wings given how the 2.7 crossmembers slope and how wide Talons skid is…the skid wings don’t follow that slope. The RCI transmission skid with their separate crossmember skids would hug closer at these points. RCI now has cat guards as an add-on now too, but I feel they still need to add reinforcement ribs to their transmission skid, like Talons.

I didn’t go all one brand because I liked the 1 piece and cat coverage, with reinforcement ribs on Talons. I liked the welded joints and additional gusseting with RCI’s fuel tank skid and I liked the design of their transfer case skid. Both use 5052 1/4 aluminum, which “should” hopefully be enough for my usage… Hopefully I don’t regret trying to save some weight here…time will tell!

Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7677
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7678
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7691
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7696
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7697
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7692
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7695
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7694
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7693
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7698
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7700
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7704
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7701
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7680
Ford Bronco Talons Garage Aluminum Transmission skid and RCI Aluminum Fuel Tank skid installed IMG_7679
Sponsored

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have the RCI transmission plate before?

OP
OP
Chritaka

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you have the RCI transmission plate before?
I only had the RCI transmission skid temporarily because they sent it to me by mistake, instead of the transfer case skid.

OP
OP
Chritaka

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

RCI Transfer Case skid fits nicely with Talons…
IMG_7714.jpeg
IMG_7715.jpeg
IMG_7717.jpeg

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice! Thanks for the heads up on Talons. My Mabett trans plate is bent to hell. It won’t last much longer. I wonder if the ribs will make for a stronger aluminum alternative. Steel is nearly double the weight - but, after the crappy lifespan of the other aluminum I assumed I had to go steel next time.

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a couple threads on here about the topic. One regarding us crushing a transmission pan on the trail and why you need armor there. And then another thread on the Talons Garage product. Here is a video I did as well comparing my Mabett to it.

I also took the Talons garage through the Rubicon and smacked it around. It held up great.

I’ll clarify that I have the steel version. An aluminum is fine for being a skid. But if you’re gonna smack it on rocks, go steel. It won’t bend and deform as quickly.

Last edited: