Sponsored

Steel or Aluminum for the Fuel Tank Skid?

Steel or Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid

• Total voters

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have an aluminum skid plate ordered through JcrOffroad but I’m debating switching to the steel. They have long lead times, so I’m pretty sure I could still switch.

The weight difference is less than 30lbs between the steel and aluminum. I’m all about saving weight where I can but with as low as the fuel tank is, I’m wondering if this isn’t the place to save weight.
Sponsored

DoYouBronco

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Gen2 Raptor Midtravel / TowRunner F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It depends on what type of offroading you do. If you do high speed Baja style through the sand and dunes, aluminum will be fine. If you do rock crawling or plan to beat the skid plate up, go steel all day

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can't go wrong with a steel plate unless you really need the weight savings. Also, the Ford gas tank plate is pretty good, if you can find one.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Cast iron!
Honestly, I have aluminum on most of my other skids, but steel on the gas. With a 4 door, that area is too prone to turtle on obstacles.

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just ordered aluminum, for the gas tank, more worried about punctures, aluminum will be fine for me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can't go wrong with a steel plate unless you really need the weight savings. Also, the Ford gas tank plate is pretty good, if you can find one.
Finding one is the issue. I don’t want to order all of them and have to go through the hassle of selling the ones I already have.

Reactions: Los
OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It depends on what type of offroading you do. If you do high speed Baja style through the sand and dunes, aluminum will be fine. If you do rock crawling or plan to beat the skid plate up, go steel all day
I live in Missouri, so although I will not intentionally be trying to beat it up, hitting/scraping rocks will happen with how low that tank is. I think I am going to switch it to steel.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Luckily for me I found one stock on the bottom of my '23 Big Bend 2 door :sneaky:

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am also looking for a steel skid plate for my WT fuel tank, but Ford does not sell by piece is either all or nothing.... sucks...

OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am also looking for a steel skid plate for my WT fuel tank, but Ford does not sell by piece is either all or nothing.... sucks...
Yeah. I was half tempted to post in the local Facebook group trying to find someone who has a 4dr pavement princess and convincing them to swap out for the skid plate for my brackets plus cash to save on fuel economy.

Sponsored

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, good luck, I hope you find one soon, I am still looking for one (RCI) Rough Country carries them, but I don't like that they are a two piece, I rather have one for more strength and longevity. I might buy their Trans and transfer case skids but won't do the 2-piece fuel tank skid. so far, the price doesn't look too bad,

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On rocks steel slides, aluminum catches and rips. For dirt, sand and snow aluminum works fine.

OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, good luck, I hope you find one soon, I am still looking for one (RCI) Rough Country carries them, but I don't like that they are a two piece, I rather have one for more strength and longevity. I might buy their Trans and transfer case skids but won't do the 2-piece fuel tank skid. so far, the price doesn't look too bad,
Seems like Ford is the only one who is doing the one piece, which is weird. Usually after markets are an upgrade.

AdamF@IAG

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Code Orange Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Seems like Ford is the only one who is doing the one piece, which is weird. Usually after markets are an upgrade.
The downside to the designs out there, 1 or 2 piece, is that the tank is directly on the skid. It's tough, sure, but take the transmission pan for instance. Woud you rather have a steel plate mounted to the pan itself, or have that extra space for things to move independently? Ours gets you 2 solid, welded tubing tank mounts which alone you can jack up the entire rig with. Then add to it the skids with a small gap for insurance. The seam is completely supported and therefore will act like a single piece. I personally think its the only upgrade from a factory offering on the market, biased opinion or not.
Sponsored