First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From what I recall, all 2-door models come with the fuel tank skid plate from the factory. Most of the other skids I have are RCI, but the factory tank skid is solid, so keeping it.
Never heard this. Is it true?
Sponsored

bdunk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@bdunk - I am seriously looking at RCI since they have a sale happening right now. A couple of questions if you don't mind:

-- How do you like the engine skid?
-- Does it cover as much as the OEM?
-- What about oil changes, do you have to pull two skids (main front and smaller rear) or just the smaller rear?

TIA!
I'm extremely happy with all of the RCI stuff so far. I didn't really do a direct comparison of the stock front skid to the RCI, but it does appear the RCI covers a little more. As for oil changes, I've not had to have one since installing the skids, but the front RCI skid is actually two pieces. So I believe it shouldn't be a big deal to do a change.

Richyd

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just got back from Bronco Off Rodeo here in Texas and my son and I really enjoyed it. Nice to have all of the features demonstrated instead of trying to wade through the 600 page electronic owner's manual trying to figure them out.

When I asked our trail guide which skid plate he would recommend adding first, he didn't hesitate to cite the fuel tank. The other guide chimed in and said he ruined his for lack of a $40 piece of steel. I've fixed a tear in a plastic tank on my daughter's car likely due to a careless service tech somewhere and don't care to repeat that.

Fortunately, Ford recently replaced my plastic front and under engine bash plates with steel ones as part of a recall on my '23 Big Bend. Have read a few posts on the protective plates to add, but thought I would ask about this one first. Which did you add, and why do you like it?

Also, I seem to remember at least one of the rear factory lift points being pretty close to the fuel tank. Does the skid plate you added get in the way of that? Thanks.
What recall replaced your factory plastic plate with metal on your big bend?

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have read a few posts on the protective plates to add, but thought I would ask about this one first. Which did you add, and why do you like it?
I got the ASFIR fuel tank and transfer case skid plates both aluminum. I put them on my Sasquatch OB 4 dr without a lift or jack. Crawled under and installed brackets you do not remove factory fuel tank straps but you do use mounting points for brackets. Got the skids on sale and were shipped to me less than a week. With war going on you might ask them if they are fully operating if you choose them. They have an install video, easy to do.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got the ASFIR fuel tank and transfer case skid plates both aluminum. I put them on my Sasquatch OB 4 dr without a lift or jack. Crawled under and installed brackets you do not remove factory fuel tank straps but you do use mounting points for brackets. Got the skids on sale and were shipped to me less than a week. With war going on you might ask them if they are fully operating if you choose them. They have an install video, easy to do.
Asfir has a USA warehouse now.

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really wish there was a viable fuel tank replacement as well as new skid plate. The tanks need to be much larger!

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Another vote for ASFIR if you don't need industrial strength protection. I have their tranny and cross member skids as well as the transfer case reinforcement bar. Perfect fit and easy to install even without getting the vehicle off the ground. Some of these 3/8 inch steel bash plates weigh over 100 lbs. Sure, they will survive a nuclear blast but unless you are bashing the bejesus out of your belly on a regular basis they are overkill for those of us who go off-road once a month on moderate trails.

On my BD I am using the factory skids everywhere and added tranny, crossmember, transfer case reinforcement, and rear shock skids. The latter are the lowest points on the vehicle and will take a hit every time you slip off a rock. I went with those that do not require you to mess with the giant lower shock bolts - though I am getting new coilovers next week which would have been a perfect opportunity to install a different set that uses the shock bolt.

OP
OP
Bill K

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What recall replaced your factory plastic plate with metal on your big bend?
I'm not sure it was a recall. My build sheet shows steel bash plates. Someone must of called Ford out on this with the delivery of the plastic ones. Thus the letter in the mail, and a now happier customer.

Per the letter, the program was "Customer Satisfaction Program 23B10"

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put the JCR Off-road fuel tank skid on my Base model but I actually think I would prefer the OEM since it’s one big piece. I don’t like the other OEM skids but that tank skid is pretty stout
Yes it is.
Yes, it gets bent, gouged, used.
But it does its job!
My son had mine turtled on a pointy rock for a good 15 minutes of struggle-time Saturday.
Gotta say my faith in the stock skid again is renewed.
Lots of gouges and scrapes, potentially some changing of the general shape of it, but it absolutely did what it was designed to do.

Sponsored

fordbroncowildtrak2023

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@bdunk - I am seriously looking at RCI since they have a sale happening right now. A couple of questions if you don't mind:

-- How do you like the engine skid?
-- Does it cover as much as the OEM?
-- What about oil changes, do you have to pull two skids (main front and smaller rear) or just the smaller rear?

TIA!
I have the RCI skids for my 2 door. With regards to oil changes, the engine and transmission skids are attached so you'll either have to loosen both or you probably could just remove the transmission skid. However, I also installed the Ronin drain plug so now I won't have to loosen them at all. I can access the drain plug and have a little hose to drain away into a pan.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the RCI skids for my 2 door. With regards to oil changes, the engine and transmission skids are attached so you'll either have to loosen both or you probably could just remove the transmission skid. However, I also installed the Ronin drain plug so now I won't have to loosen them at all. I can access the drain plug and have a little hose to drain away into a pan.
I have the Ronin as well with a hose. Are you able to reach around the skid to screw in the key or?

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm ordering metalcloak, they're running a 10% off and free shipping deal today for halloween. Their site says lead times are 2-4 weeks out at this point.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

+1 for the ASFIR transmission pan skid and transfer case reinforcement brace. Although I failed to install from the ground. I begged a shop to sell me an hour of lift time. Yeah! Wish I had space for a lift.

Otherwise very happy with OEM skids so far.

The pre-announced IAG skid package looks promising

fordbroncowildtrak2023

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have the Ronin as well with a hose. Are you able to reach around the skid to screw in the key or?
Yes. You can reach the plug to screw in the key without moving the skid. However, you'll also need a hose attached to drain it.
Sponsored