First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So…went to remove the skid for some winter prep cleaning and undercoating - unbolted the skid bolts one at a time…and the whole tank drops! Am I crazy to think/expect there to be some straps or something holding it in place?

Of course I JUST filled the tank this morning too.
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s good info to know. Thank you.

That sucks though. Our converters are safe from theft where they’re mounted at. Now we have to worry about people taking the whole fuel tank in 2 minutes. That could be a fun trick to play on someone at Moab. Would have to be tricky about it.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

That could be a fun trick to play on someone at Moab. Would have to be Tricky about it.
Don't drag me into your shenanigans.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was exactly our reaction....8 bolts and an impact and 20 gallons...GONE.
Wonder what the wait time is on replacement tanks. Or is it a hot swap tank? Just pull into the mall, swap tanks with the one on 40’s, and be on the way.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
That’s good info to know. Thank you.

That sucks though. Our converters are safe from theft where they’re mounted at. Now we have to worry about people taking the whole fuel tank in 2 minutes. That could be a fun trick to play on someone at Moab. Would have to be tricky about it.
Interesting -- I have removed gas tanks on trucks before and normally it is a major pain in the ass. Having it easier to remove is a big plus. If someone gets under your vehicle with tools with the intent to steal they will do it. They can strip a car in 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting -- I have removed gas tanks on trucks before and normally it is a major pain in the ass. Having it easier to remove is a big plus. If someone gets under your vehicle with tools with the intent to steal they will do it. They can strip a car in 10 minutes.
Mine stays in the garage. But if I see someone under one now in a driveway or parking lot I’ll make sure I stop and ask how’s it going.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting -- I have removed gas tanks on trucks before and normally it is a major pain in the ass. Having it easier to remove is a big plus.
Might be. Makes changing the in-tank fuel pump easier. :unsure:

Thanks for the heads up OP.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m thinking of strapping it somehow so that I can at least powerwash the tank and the skid. Give the skid and surrounding areas a nice coat of Fluid Film (being sure to avoid the sensor on top) then bolt it back up…

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So…went to remove the skid for some winter prep cleaning and undercoating - unbolted the skid bolts one at a time…and the whole tank drops! Am I crazy to think/expect there to be some straps or something holding it in place?

I pulled my tank to install upgraded rear upper trailing arms. Did any of the connections get ruined when yours fell? That sucks but you should always check for what's involved when doing something like this so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Get a copy of that free service manual that's on here, it will be invaluable for stuff like this!

Sponsored
OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I pulled my tank to install upgraded rear upper trailing arms. Did any of the connections get ruined when yours fell? That sucks but you should always check for what's involved when doing something like this so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Get a copy of that free service manual that's on here, it will be invaluable for stuff like this!
I didn't let it drop fast or hard - so, all good. I dug through the owners manual (which I have on my phone) and there was nothing there...I am at my laptop now and will look into the service manual. Is there any benefit to installing some straps permanently? Then popping the skid off once a year wouldn't be such a pain.

I actually have to install Camburg lower trailing arms...

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't let it drop fast or hard - so, all good. I dug through the owners manual (which I have on my phone) and there was nothing there...I am at my laptop now and will look into the service manual. Is there any benefit to installing some straps permanently? Then popping the skid off once a year wouldn't be such a pain.

I actually have to install Camburg lower trailing arms...
I wouldn't think so on the straps.

Here is link to service manual...
Thread '2021+ Ford Bronco Service Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Owners Manual [Download]' https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...wiring-diagrams-owners-manual-download.41803/

Jwredneck

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150, 1969 U14 EB, 1969 U15 EB
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wonder what the wait time is on replacement tanks. Or is it a hot swap tank? Just pull into the mall, swap tanks with the one on 40’s, and be on the way.
When our tank was drilled by gas thieves in June, Ford had the tanks in stock. Just had to get shipped from Michigan.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Might be. Makes changing the in-tank fuel pump easier. :unsure:

Thanks for the heads up OP.
That is exactly the reason I had to remove the tank. Can happen on any vehicle, the filter is in there too.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Thanks for letting us know! That's interesting.
Sponsored