First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 bronco , 22 bad sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Read through the posts on this but haven't seen any follow up.
Badland and factory equiped broncos with skid plates on gas tank, can factory non skid plate gas tank reatiner straps be added to skid plate equipped broncos and then re installed skid?
Will the strap put pressure on tank with the skid plate pushing against it?
I would like to be able to remove plate to repair and clean debris out more easily.
I know im not the first to think this way, Im I giong to be the first to try to make this work? Im aware that the skid holds the tank up so no need to discuss that here hower, pic's and info woud be great. I am fine with factory skid and it will be getting some extra support added im not interested in buying a aftermarket skid howerver if you have info on fitment of aftermarket skids I am interested. This is for my personal rig am not looking to rip off someone elses design for profit.
Lets get this sorted out!
Sponsored

fordbroncowildtrak2023

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know the answer but this would be a nice to have. I now have experience strapping the tank before dropping the skid, and while not incredibly difficult, is a PITA that could be avoided. My gas tank skid was full of rocks and dirt.

OP
OP

OTHERBRONCO

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 bronco , 22 bad sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know the answer but this would be a nice to have. I now have experience strapping the tank before dropping the skid, and while not incredibly difficult, is a PITA that could be avoided. My gas tank skid was full of rocks and dirt.
Exactly, wonder how long it would take a sharp rock to rub through? Probably not likely but who knows.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

can factory non skid plate gas tank reatiner straps be added to skid plate equipped broncos and then re installed skid?
No. There isn't enough room for a strap between the skid plate and the tank. You may be able to make something work, like potentially shimming the skid down after installing the strap, but the skid would obviously hang down lower

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Jcr has a video of how to install their skid plate. It shows how to remove the stock skid first...so pretty sure it can be done. They use ratchet straps.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OTHERBRONCO

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 bronco , 22 bad sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jcr has a video of how to install their skid plate. It shows how to remove the stock skid first...so pretty sure it can be done. They use ratchet straps.
Yep I have watched those and read about how to remove it. I just wanted to eliminate the need to ratchet strap and just be able to remove bolts and drop skid. I may add somthing (spacer?) as mentioned above to have both. I will be removing the factory one soon and adding some uhmw to the bottom. I have already built a nice skid to protect trans pan and frame arms (2.7l) covered with uhmw material and am impressed whth how easy it slides over things when contact is made.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems adding straps would increase the space between skid and tank, and increase the chance of something lodging in there to rub. Turning a non problem into a potential problem. It’s just not something I’m worried about.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I installed tank skid from ASFIR and it went on over existing tank straps. It was easy. i had only a few gallons of fuel in tank when i installed. You could look at their install video if it helps.

Ford Bronco Gas tank skid 1689774416965

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have yet to toss my old straps because I'm worried at some point I may have to remove my tank skid and revert back to "factory" (for example fuel pump goes out so I have to take it in for warranty).

Sounds like hanging on to them is a good idea :)
Sponsored