First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, if you don't have a skid - there are two straps - which I assume use the same bolts/holes as the skid - so, doubling up doesn't seem to be an option.

This really defeats the purpose of what I thought was having an easily removable skid for cleaning purposes.

Ford Bronco Fuel/Gas Tank Skid Plate Removal — WARNING: whole gas tank dropped! Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.59.02 AM
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All the instructions for installing the various tank skids all mention the need to strap the tank in before completely removing the skid. So it’s well know, but maybe only to those replacing skids. Poor design for sure.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, if you don't have a skid - there are two straps - which I assume use the same bolts/holes as the skid - so, doubling up doesn't seem to be an option.

This really defeats the purpose of what I thought was having an easily removable skid for cleaning purposes.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.59.02 AM.png
Here's an idea...

Those 4 bolts for the straps, replace with studs and nuts. Buy the straps and when pulling skid plate lower plate one end at a time and get a gap between skid plate enough to put those nuts back on the straps. That should work....

Basically sandwich straps between skid and tank.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All the instructions for installing the various tank skids all mention the need to strap the tank in before completely removing the skid. So it’s well know, but maybe only to those replacing skids. Poor design for sure.
You're talking about aftermarket skids? What do you think the best way to get a strap around the tank before unbolting if it's literally sitting on the skid? Do you have an aftermarket brand in mind so that I can check that out?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You're talking about aftermarket skids? What do you think the best way to get a strap around the tank before unbolting if it's literally sitting on the skid? Do you have an aftermarket brand in mind so that I can check that out?
It’s fairly easy. You just remove the bolts on the ends and work a strap on each end. All the replacement skids instructions will be about the same. JCR is the tank skid I’ve helped install, but it’s the same process for all of them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks @kodiakisland

I am pretty annoyed I filled the tank this morning....

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That’s good info to know. Thank you.

That sucks though. Our converters are safe from theft where they’re mounted at. Now we have to worry about people taking the whole fuel tank in 2 minutes. That could be a fun trick to play on someone at Moab. Would have to be tricky about it.
They just drill through gas tanks now.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They just drill through gas tanks now.
Yes. Till they see this post and realize you can take 16-20 gallons in 2 minutes instead of waiting 10 minutes to fill a 5 gallon.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, all the skid plate install videos show using ratchet straps to hold tank while you install the skid.

I used one on the front and back on my Basesquatch when I installed the skid plate for the tank..

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks @kodiakisland

I am pretty annoyed I filled the tank this morning....
Murphy's law. I got to do my truck fuel pump with a full tank. At least you're home doing it and not in a ditch like I was.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I put the skid plate on mine. If I was trying to get the straps on with the skid, I would start with a very low filled tank. Put a jack under it. There is about 1 good inch of threads on the bolts so if you loosen them up but leave some thread in you should be able to put a spacer like scrap wood or whatever in between tank and skid to gain some space and fish the strap through.

The front 2 bolts on the stock skid you can use as lever, and leave them in and lower the back down once all bolts are out. The Tank Skid is Heavy and hard to handle on your own, so I would leave the front 2 in loosely.

Kramku1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a basesquach I thought my tank came with a skid plate welded to the tank,at least that's what it looks like 🤔

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah -- while you're at it why not just steal the car -- I hear it is legal now in Portland and Seattle.
Sad, but true... at least in Portland.

Almost no consequences in Multnomah Country for property crimes right now...

Bukin67

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Bronco Baja racer "The Bukin'eer"
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Now we have to worry about people taking the whole fuel tank in 2 minutes. That could be a fun trick to play on someone at Moab. Would have to be tricky about it.
Sponsored