Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stick with your OEM gas skid. It is solid.
Sponsored

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I have a JcrOffroad aluminum 4door fuel tank skid on order. Their lead times are disappointing. Called yesterday and they said they do not expect it to ship until the week of Thanksgiving.

With that said, do you all recommend steel or aluminum for the fuel tank skid? I am almost leaning towards changing to steel just because that fuel tank hangs so low. The weight difference is only like 30 lbs on the fuel tank skid.

Also, if you have a 2.3L, you can get the Mabbett transmission skid on Amazon for like $180 shipped.

Dannebrog53

Wildtrak
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak, Porsche Macan S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, everything except shock and differential skids. I even added the cross member skids and the catalytic converter pieces as a theft deterrent. I’m waiting to see who has the best shock option for the Fox shocks on the HOSS 3.0 suspension. Most current options aren’t made for that.

And for the post that referenced the one piece OEM skid vs the a two piece aftermarket, in my opinion the two piece I have from RCI is a much better, stronger option than OEM. The RCI attaches to the frame in more places and the two pieces also bolt to each other. I have no concern about its ability to support the full weight of the vehicle.
Foust Makes an excellent HOSS 3.0 rear shock skid

OP
OP
Bill K

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I have a JcrOffroad aluminum 4door fuel tank skid on order. Their lead times are disappointing. Called yesterday and they said they do not expect it to ship until the week of Thanksgiving.

With that said, do you all recommend steel or aluminum for the fuel tank skid? I am almost leaning towards changing to steel just because that fuel tank hangs so low. The weight difference is only like 30 lbs on the fuel tank skid.

Also, if you have a 2.3L, you can get the Mabbett transmission skid on Amazon for like $180 shipped.
Thanks. I have the 2.3L and this looks like a great affordable option. Also like the fact that it's 1/4" aluminum...

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As another option, IAG just announced armor / skid plates for the Ford Bronco (2 and 4 door). These steel plates are made here in the U.S. Accordingly, here are the reported weights for each skid for the 4-door:

Front Skid - 45lbs
Engine Skid - 25lbs
Transmission Skid - 65lbs
Transfer Case Skid - 30lbs
Fuel Tank Skid - 75lbs
Rear Shock Trailing Arm Skid - 12lbs
Front Lower Trailing Arm Skid - 12lbs
Front Lower Control Arm Skid - 30lbs
Rear Diff Skid - 30lbs

IAGPerformance.com

Sponsored

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As another option, IAG just announced armor / skid plates for the Ford Bronco (2 and 4 door). These steel plates are made here in the U.S. Accordingly, here are the reported weights for each skid for the 4-door:

Front Skid - 45lbs
Engine Skid - 25lbs
Transmission Skid - 65lbs
Transfer Case Skid - 30lbs
Fuel Tank Skid - 75lbs
Rear Shock Trailing Arm Skid - 12lbs
Front Lower Trailing Arm Skid - 12lbs
Front Lower Control Arm Skid - 30lbs
Rear Diff Skid - 30lbs

IAGPerformance.com
To add a little more detail, these will be 3/16th steel and can be optioned out as individual pieces if you would like to utilize certain pieces of your factory skid plates or as a complete kit to cover absolutely everything. We are pushing to get some better ETA's for you guys as quickly as possible. Production has already begun on them and we hope to share a release date soon!

Side note, make sure you go to IAGOFFROAD.com as IAG Performance will take you to the other side of our business which focuses on high-horsepower and modified Subarus.

IAG Off-Road Skid Plates

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am kind of in the same boat on fuel tank skid. For the off roading I do(mostly dunes like, some light foresty trails or rented out MX tracks lol), I am honestly not even sure if I need to add skids since most here would consider it more off pavement than off road lol. But the few times I have gone I have heard things bump underneath so definitely want more piece of mind.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I run a stock fuel tank skid and will plate it when the time comes. Zero chance of me going aftermarket fuel tank skid ever again.

Now if we are going to shamelessly plug skid plates. I had a hand in the 2.3 Talons Garage transmission skid, its based off my mods to his V6 skid. Talon is evolving designs and improving products based off users, no one else is. Look at the ribs supporting the skid, they make the skid!

https://talonsgarage.com/

Then you have Barnes 4wd who is a legitimate hardcore fab shop/metal shop. The price is dirt cheap, there fab has always been outstanding.
https://barnes4wd.com/products/bronco-4-door-skid-plates
Ford Bronco Best Option for Fuel Tank Skid Plate 1698855295264

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I run a stock fuel tank skid and will plate it when the time comes. Zero chance of me going aftermarket fuel tank skid ever again.

Now if we are going to shamelessly plug skid plates. I had a hand in the 2.3 Talons Garage transmission skid, its based off my mods to his V6 skid. Talon is evolving designs and improving products based off users, no one else is. Look at the ribs supporting the skid, they make the skid!

Then you have Barnes 4wd who is a legitimate hardcore fab shop/metal shop. The price is dirt cheap, there fab has always been outstanding.
https://barnes4wd.com/products/bronco-4-door-skid-plates
1698855295264.png
I'm wanting to save some weight on my WT, and since it didn't come with a gas tank skid, have been looking at the RCI and Talons Garage aluminum offerings. Have you seen these used/abused? Talons Garage only has 1 pic and not much detail on theirs. I can get the RCI skid for $380 shipped right now with their sale and it's about a 2 week lead time.

The IAG tank skid looks nice, but not for $560...and no aluminum option.

Would you still recommend the OEM over these? Last time I checked it was $620.68 for the OEM fuel tank skid alone and I haven't seen a used one come up for sale in quite a while. I was told it would be cheaper just to order the full skid set local, than to ship freight.

I do plan to get the Talons Garage transmission skid in aluminum...

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm extremely happy with all of the RCI stuff so far. I didn't really do a direct comparison of the stock front skid to the RCI, but it does appear the RCI covers a little more. As for oil changes, I've not had to have one since installing the skids, but the front RCI skid is actually two pieces. So I believe it shouldn't be a big deal to do a change.
RCI has a sale happening, just pulled the trigger on all aluminum skids (had Metal Cloak on my Wrangler and they weigh a ton and not interested in adding a bunch of dead weight with steel again).

Grabbed:

Fuel Tank Skid
Skid Package (Engine, Transmisson, Transfer Case)
Catalytic Guard
Crossmember Skids

Thanks again for the feedback.

Sponsored

bdunk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
RCI has a sale happening, just pulled the trigger on all aluminum skids (had Metal Cloak on my Wrangler and they weigh a ton and not interested in adding a bunch of dead weight with steel again).

Grabbed:

Fuel Tank Skid
Skid Package (Engine, Transmisson, Transfer Case)
Catalytic Guard
Crossmember Skids

Thanks again for the feedback.
Awesome! I'm sure you'll be quite happy. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions during the install. I feel like RCI has a great balance of quality vs price, plus they're made in Colorado.

bdunk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm wanting to save some weight on my WT, and since it didn't come with a gas tank skid, have been looking at the RCI and Talons Garage aluminum offerings. Have you seen these used/abused? Talons Garage only has 1 pic and not much detail on theirs. I can get the RCI skid for $380 shipped right now with their sale and it's about a 2 week lead time.

The IAG tank skid looks nice, but not for $560...and no aluminum option.

Would you still recommend the OEM over these? Last time I checked it was $620.68 for the OEM fuel tank skid alone and I haven't seen a used one come up for sale in quite a while. I was told it would be cheaper just to order the full skid set local, than to ship freight.

I do plan to get the Talons Garage transmission skid in aluminum...
I'm extremely happy with my RCI fuel tank skid. For the money, I don't know that you'll find anything better. And with the numerous attachment points, I have no concerns with getting a two piece aluminum for the fuel tank for the type of use I have. I would have to be doing something quite extreme before I ever even thought about it, let alone changed to steel.

bdunk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Nice install video and the product looks good. I don't love the various bolt heads and holes in it though. Seems like an opportunity for rock edges to get you hung up. I'm curious to see how they perform on the Rubicon as referenced in the video.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How many threads have you seen about damage factory fuel tank skid? Its worth the money and get the full set of skids. From there you just need a transmission skid and you can replace the others as needed. Several of the bronco I wheel with have factory skids and the are still kicking.

Nice install video and the product looks good. I don't love the various bolt heads and holes in it though. Seems like an opportunity for rock edges to get you hung up. I'm curious to see how they perform on the Rubicon as referenced in the video.
@popo_patty is hitting the Rubicon tomorrow. The transmission pan will get a work out. I find it easier to deal with damages bolt heads than fighting the bolt head protector. Big knipex pliers and the skids are off and new $2 bolt goes in. I have also been finding the recessed bolts designs are using 1/8" steel for brackets which is not thick enough for a 6000lb bronco high centered.

I feel yah on the holes but so far so good. Everyone has to brand things these days lol.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How many threads have you seen about damage factory fuel tank skid? Its worth the money and get the full set of skids. From there you just need a transmission skid and you can replace the others as needed. Several of the bronco I wheel with have factory skids and the are still kicking.

@popo_patty is hitting the Rubicon tomorrow. The transmission pan will get a work out. I find it easier to deal with damages bolt heads than fighting the bolt head protector. Big knipex pliers and the skids are off and new $2 bolt goes in. I have also been finding the recessed bolts designs are using 1/8" steel for brackets which is not thick enough for a 6000lb bronco high centered.

I feel yah on the holes but so far so good. Everyone has to brand things these days lol.
Yup, Rubicon testing my Talons Garage transmission pan skid tomorrow. Also on my Califab sliders and Icon diff skid up front. I’ll report back. Still rocking the factory fuel tank skid, no issues. Don’t think I’ll ever feel the need to replace.

100% on the bolts. Don’t run the bolt head protectors. Biggest. Pain. Ever. To remove once they become squished.
Sponsored