Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Can you purchase the Ford Factory 4-Door Fuel Tank Skid Plate as a stand-alone? If so, does anyone have the part number?
Sponsored

Cygnusx1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayenne; Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Of course you can, but why bother. It will cost a fortune. Instead buy a lighter (aluminum), probably more robust, skid plate from ASFIR or any other of a number of forum sponsors.

OP
OP
Callelk

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I was hoping that it would be less expensive than aftermarket and from what I have seen, they work pretty well.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OEM parts are often more expensive, but I have been searching for this too. So far I have only seen it sold with the other skid components as a set (and that price was very reasonable)... but I already found takeoffs for those so I am only looking for the fuel tank skid. Personally wanted steel > aluminum anyways so I too am interested in OEM. Following. I couldn't find the part number when I searched. The skids were not labeled clearly in the lists I was able to find/look through.

Sponsored

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Callelk

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I posted this last night when I thought about it, this morning I found the Part Number mb3z9k014e

The lowest price I have found is only about $100 less than the full package so far. Aftermarket is about the same price unless your looking at aluminum.

OP
OP
Callelk

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP
OP
Callelk

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

One thing I did not consider until my second coffee was shipping. I see a lot of the aftermarket are free-freight over $$. I doubt that you will see that with factory parts from anyone.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Something to consider is that most (all?) aftermarket fuel tank skids are two piece units. This means you will have an easier time bending those skids (where the pieces meet) into the fuel tank when you beat on them. There are members here who have really beat on their skid plates (@Snacktime is a great example - check his skid plate thread(s) for additional info - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/skid-plates-discussion-round-two.71152/) and still recommend the factory fuel skid over the aftermarket for its one piece design

But if you aren’t planning on doing a lot of rock crawling, you probably don’t care about that

Sponsored
OP
OP
Callelk

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Something to consider is that most (all?) aftermarket fuel tank skids are two piece units. This means you will have an easier time bending those skids (where the pieces meet) into the fuel tank when you beat on them. There are members here who have really beat on their skid plates (@Snacktime is a great example - check his skid plate thread(s) for additional info - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/skid-plates-discussion-round-two.71152/) and still recommend the factory fuel skid over the aftermarket for its one piece design

But if you aren’t planning on doing a lot of rock crawling, you probably don’t care about that
That's the thing, I have heard nothing but good things about the factory fuel tank skid. I'm not a serious rock crawler by any stretch but we do have a lot of pointy ones where I bird hunt. I am going aftermarket for the trans and T=case plates.

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When you order from Ford Accessories, you can get it delivered to any Ford dealership for free. Once you order is placed, Ford Accessories will reach out to that dealership to see if they currently have it in stock, if so you will get it sooner, if not Ford will send. Also, I used Ford Pass points and the 20% discount code. Got the full set for around 500. Even without pass points you can get the set for around 710 after taxes.

OP
OP
Callelk

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

When you order from Ford Accessories, you can get it delivered to any Ford dealership for free. Once you order is placed, Ford Accessories will reach out to that dealership to see if they currently have it in stock, if so you will get it sooner, if not Ford will send. Also, I used Ford Pass points and the 20% discount code. Got the full set for around 500. Even without pass points you can get the set for around 710 after taxes.
Thanks for the heads-up!

tRyantodrive

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm a fan of the OEM fuel tank skid too but have had issues sourcing the part.

I ordered the skid plate kit through Ford Accessories on August 6th - it forces you to select the ship-to-store option due to freight shipping / package size/weight. It's been about a month now with multiple phone calls to Ford Accessories, trips to the dealership, and the distribution warehouse to determine the status of the order since they don't really provide updates. For the past few weeks I've been told its on back-order with no ETA. Last week I was told that the system showed the vendor/Ford promised to ship during the week of 9/4. As of today I was told by the distribution warehouse that the ship date was listed as "changed to 9/18 due to packaging constraints". He says its common for them to shift the ship date further back every week. I was told this part is frequently back-ordered for up to 6 months at a time.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford factory fuel tank skid for the win. I have also bashed the heck out of it and no issues. In fact its the one tried and true tested skid plate on my vehicle. Its got duel layers too which is pretty nice, hefty bracing and drains for water. No need to replace what works well, even on the rubicon.
Sponsored