First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I haven't seen this posted yet but I figured I would let people know about how low the RCI trans skid sits on the 2.3. I can see on the V6 why it would need to be this low with the cross braces but dang there is a HUGE gap on the 2.3s. Kind of disappointed in the loss of ground clearance from a skid that could have easily been tucked up higher. IMO there should be a 2.3 specific skid.

PXL_20230723_151720085.jpg
Sponsored

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah, I just checked mine, and except for the cross braces, same fit. I didn’t really notice any loss of clearance because I’m running 37s. IMO, if you off road, some type of skid plate is needed to protect that plastic.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hmm, I think your photo makes it look larger. Essentially the transmission clearance is to provide room from the transfer case skid to fit under it so that there isn't a lip to catch on a rock.
I've got 11" clearance on my sasquatched 2.3 manual.

If you want, you could grind those pedestals down an inch or inch and a half and likely still have clearance. Not sure if it is worth it for that, but I don't know the trails you have to go on.

Ford Bronco RCI Transmission Skid jJO1AOZ

Ford Bronco RCI Transmission Skid IrFMqj0

OP
OP
Jerardisflossin

Jerardisflossin

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hmm, I think your photo makes it look larger. Essentially the transmission clearance is to provide room from the transfer case skid to fit under it so that there isn't a lip to catch on a rock.

If you want, you could grind those pedestals down an inch or inch and a half and likely still have clearance. Not sure if it is worth it for that, but I don't know the trails you have to go on.

You only need the 1/4" for the transfer skid to fit under it. Not the 2" pedestal. Pretty hard to trick the gap lol. Just a lot more that could be done for 2.3 folks.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
You only need the 1/4" for the transfer skid to fit under it. Not the 2" pedestal. Pretty hard to trick the gap lol. Just a lot more that could be done for 2.3 folks.
It would add cost to them to give us 1-3/4" (since you said we just need 1/4"). I suppose they could not weld the pedestal on and use spacers and longer bolts. Have you emailed them?
Again, if it really bothers someone, they could cut the pedestals off, and do their own thing.

Sponsored

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mabbett makes a (aluminum) skid plate specific to the 2.3 and it sits up nice and high flush with the frame. You can check it out here.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dam that’s a ton of gap. I’d return them. I went with Rock Hard skids. Should have them by the end of August. 😀

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dam that’s a ton of gap. I’d return them. I went with Rock Hard skids. Should have them by the end of August. 😀
You should cancel your order, Rock Hard is even less clearance. They space down the front differential skid and space down the rear transmission skid in order to clear the v6 braces.

Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should cancel your order, Rock Hard is even less clearance. They space down the front differential skid and space down the rear transmission skid in order to clear the v6 braces.
Have you seen them in person?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you seen them in person?
At an event, the aluminum version on a mall crawler. All these skid plate systems are designed to clear the V6 braces. If its a flat belly design the skids are at least an 1 1/2" lower than the transmission cross member to achieve this.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I modified my Talon Garage skid since I have a 2.3 bronco. You can see how much clearance I gained by just sectioning out the rear.
Ford Bronco RCI Transmission Skid 1690296434243

I did stick some 1 1/4" square tubing on the back side to prevent the plate from caving in.

Ford Bronco RCI Transmission Skid 1690296553229

You can see on my previous set of Metalcloak skids that the front has a drop down on the skid. this is to help clear the V6 Braces.

Ford Bronco RCI Transmission Skid 1690296834120

The plate that bolts onto the transmission cross member is also spaced down to clear the the where the braces tie in at.

Ford Bronco RCI Transmission Skid 1690297040606

I wish I had taken pictures of the Rock Hard skids when I saw them. I literally looked at them and walked away shacking my head. I stole this clip from there install video which does a fantastic job of not showing how much clearance is lost. They did leak a little, like Metalcloak they space down the front just farther forward. They have to at least have 1" of spacers at the transmission crossmember with the stacked plates.

Ford Bronco RCI Transmission Skid 1690297411547

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just got my skids and it looks like you got the same as I did for the transfer case. Did yours look totally different from their pics and instructions and come with an additional brace over the gas tank?
Sponsored