Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Jeep and Jeep owners are collectively laughing aloud and pointing at Ford. Again, I reiterate my early take on the whole Bronco roll-out. This had not been planned for 8 years prior. This was a last minute rush to deliver and Ford got their tit caught in the wringer.
Sponsored

john houseman

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 2000 F-250, 1969 Cougar Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Updated with more info from @PREMiERdrum:

The first of many we'll see of these. It's becoming apparent that many tops were delivered that had their outer laminate layer cast too thin. Commodity intake procedures weren't able to tell because they looked fine. This - along with other laminating issues - are what spurred the additional inspections that held so many units over the last 2 weeks.

FWIW my roof is still 100% fine, and I'm realizing just how lucky I havr been with this build.

A bit more info: Issues with thickness uniformity of the 3 layers is what's behind the lamination issues (and these unsightly "thin" spots). There isn't an easy fix at this point.

Watch this space.

Original post:

I haven't seen any mention or photos of this phenomenon yet. Just today I noticed a honeycomb or snakeskin like pattern starting to appear on most of the rear shell.

Anyone else also experience this? Is it UV related? Reaction with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Something internal? 🤔

You can't feel the texture, it's strictly visual.

Interested in hearing some theories...

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 2.jpg

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 1.jpg
This is Horrible. I have a 2 Dr Badlands ordered. I will take it if they ever schedule me (too many sins) and haunt Ford until I get a "FREE Modular White Top". It might be cheaper for Ford in the long run. Fixing that top or replacing panels as things continue to show up will get very expensive for them and Webasto. I'm gonna try to make some lemonade if I get a lemon.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far in these reports - "the honeycomb is only visual" - "not a texture you can feel"

If this were the only problem, you'd think just get it painted - carbon gray - or however you like -

But the physical "delamination pop-ups" and "cracks at edges" take it to another level -
The problem is the material the tops are made out of is difficult to paint. Requires lots of prep work for the best chance at adhesion. And even then there are no guarantees.

I think folks are in for a rude awakening when they try to paint them. I’m curious to see who tries first

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks - interesting - good points -

What do you think of caseoftexas' idea to "just Line-X the whole SOB" -
Same issue. I think with the proper prep work it could work.

Only time will tell. I was quoted $2400 by my dealer for a 4-door (SoCal). The price is fair around here, but in that price bracket I’d rather pay for a mod or aftermarket top that will accept paint with no issue

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think folks are in for a rude awakening when they try to paint them. I’m curious to see who tries first
looks like there will be plenty of MIC discards tossed on dealer lots...good alpha testers

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thinking on it, so maybe the design sucks and Webasto was having issue. Ford stepped in with their guys and this is the result, don’t make it right, just get it done. It sadly feels very logical.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Its time for Ford to find another supplier that can handle the demand.

Sponsored

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After reading this thread, I went back to our local Ford dealership to checkout the First Edition that just arrived for a retail customer. MIC top looked fine (no honeycomb). Edges don't look to good though. See first pic.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern MIC-2

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern MIC-1

mpoteet

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 79 CJ5, 78 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After reading this thread, I went back to our local Ford dealership to checkout the First Edition that just arrived for a retail customer. MIC top looked fine (no honeycomb). Edges don't look to good though. See first pic.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern MIC-1

You're kidding by saying it looked "fine", right? That entire edge is delaminated.

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You're kidding by saying it looked "fine", right? That entire edge is delaminated.
I was referring to the honeycomb issue. I mentioned the delamination is bad. Yeah it sucks.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're kidding by saying it looked "fine", right?
Unfortunately, doing a thorough 30-minute inspection when you pick up your Bronco does not resolve the hidden issues which PremierDrum advises are: "Issues with thickness uniformity of the 3 layers is what's behind the lamination issues". So what we're talking about here is a hidden flaw which may or may not produce noticeable cosmetic issues...or perhaps not for a month or 3.

I've always been a big believer in 'context'. When you look at the tops alongside the concurrent thread on perceived weakness of the auto transmission, one issue kind of informs the other. Perhaps Ford engineering is cutting the edges a bit thin.
Sponsored