Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given the 10-30amp ratings for each of the Upfitter switches, do most lighting kits (DD, BD, etc.) and onboard compressor solutions (ARB) only route a low amp relay wire to the up fitters, with a larger wire tapping directly to the battery to pull the operating amperage? I get my DD ditch lights next week so I have yet to see how they're wired. I'm also considering the 14-28 no-load amp draw from an onboard ARB compressor, and which accessory needs to go to which Upfitter.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lights you can usually wire up directly to the up-fitter switch lines. Especially with the relatively low power draw of LED lights these days.

The compressor you DEFINITELY cannot. Instead you'll have to write the Aux switch to a relay that controls the power for the compressor. The power for the compressor itself should come directly from the battery and have its own fuses (probably dual 30/40-amp fuses if I were to guess).

Also be careful with the AUX1 switch line. The pre-run wires are only 16 AWG... which is way too thin of a wire for a 30 Amp load that extends beyond ~ 1 to 2 feet.

EDIT— Should probably also wire a diode between the AUX line and the relay for the compressor in case that relay goes "pop".

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Given the 10-30amp ratings for each of the Upfitter switches, do most lighting kits (DD, BD, etc.) and onboard compressor solutions (ARB) only route a low amp relay wire to the up fitters, with a larger wire tapping directly to the battery to pull the operating amperage? I get my DD ditch lights next week so I have yet to see how they're wired. I'm also considering the 14-28 no-load amp draw from an onboard ARB compressor, and which accessory needs to go to which Upfitter.
Any of the lighting kits that we offer are designed with your upfitters in mind. So nothing we sell will blow the upfitter fuses if you use the correct ones and follow the guides. For example, the 8x XL Linkable Kit from Baja Designs pulls 16amps. That'll work with your higher amp upfitters.

The ARB Compressor (the twin anyway) has a built-in relay system, so the upfitter wired used doesn't matter, it's just a trigger wire. The single compressor is a different story. The compressor includes a relay which you'll use and then you use your upfitter as the trigger wire.

Both compressors DO require power from the battery but because of the included relays, any upfitter can trigger them. DO NOT try and power your compressor directly from the upfitter, no bueno!

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lights you can usually wire up directly to the up-fitter switch lines. Especially with the relatively low power draw of LED lights these days.

The compressor you DEFINITELY cannot. Instead you'll have to write the Aux switch to a relay that controls the power for the compressor. The power for the compressor itself should come directly from the battery and have its own fuses (probably dual 30/40-amp fuses if I were to guess).

Also be careful with the AUX1 switch line. The pre-run wires are only 16 AWG... which is way too thin of a wire for a 30 Amp load that extends beyond ~ 1 to 2 feet.

EDIT— Should probably also wire a diode between the AUX line and the relay for the compressor in case that relay goes "pop".
bit of a revival from the dead on this thread, but I'm building a battery system for the rear end, and am thinking of tying a low amperage charge controller to AUX1, then tying back to the rear end with the cross connect and using that to power the charger (no more than a 15-20A load, since it's a small battery. still gotta find a decent charger that doesn't break the bank and will fit in the form factor). Think I can pull that off safely?

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bit of a revival from the dead on this thread, but I'm building a battery system for the rear end, and am thinking of tying a low amperage charge controller to AUX1, then tying back to the rear end with the cross connect and using that to power the charger (no more than a 15-20A load, since it's a small battery. still gotta find a decent charger that doesn't break the bank and will fit in the form factor). Think I can pull that off safely?
I wouldn’t go higher than a 20A charger and tie it to the 1st switch. Should be doable, but if it were me, I’d run my own higher-gauge wire from the AUX switch wire back to the DC-DC charger. I don’t trust the pre-run wires Ford provided to carry that high of a load all the way back there.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wouldn’t go higher than a 20A charger and tie it to the 1st switch. Should be doable, but if it were me, I’d run my own higher-gauge wire from the AUX switch wire back to the DC-DC charger. I don’t trust the pre-run wires Ford provided to carry that high of a load all the way back there.
Yeah, I'm trying to get around having to run a ton of wiring, but I'm not sure it's going to shake out that way. thanks for the input
Sponsored