Sponsored

Upgrade / install locking differentials?

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ah. I misspoke. The options for BD are just matching the rear and staying 4.46 and upgrading both to 4.7.

I guess I didn’t realize there is a 4.27 also. Only on BB and OBX Automatics. Why is this even an option?

IMG_4921.jpeg

What are they referring to “Front Axle Disconnect”? If you have Advanced 4x4 aren’t you in Sasquatch land and have 4.7?
4.27 is great for 33s and 34s. Acceleration, RPM range, and fuel economy are all good.
Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can probably use Pod switches like the ones from Spod instead of the Hero Switched to engage the lockers on and off. Just wire the lockers through it, jeep guys do this all the time.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d like to add a front to my Black Diamond one day. Quick math convinced me that it’s more cost effective to upgrade both to 4.7 instead of just installing the 4.27 front. But, I guess used parts would be a different story. Easy to wire it to an AUX switch. I’ve gotten myself in a few situations where a front locker would have nice. Then I’m like…that would have been way less fun.
While living in Colorado, myself and others off-roaded in open diff vehicles, in my case mainly CJs. And had a lot of fun doing it. So I'm not as hung up on needing to have lockers as some folks.

I've watched some trail videos with groups of Broncos, and honestly it's usually more fun watching what the lesser equipped vehicles were doing. Checking out skill, how they picked lines and handled things. Some of the built up Sas guys seemed half asleep at the wheel, maybe they had that off-road cruise control feature activated, lol.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well crap….regret is a waste of energy.. looks like replacing the rear differential from Ford Performance is fairly straight forward however trying to upgrade the dashboard switches would also require a new cable harness, probably….

for me, I am not rock crawler, so going deep in the ratios isn’t a benefit, but lockers are. I see that 4.27 ratio lockers were available but Ford Performance doesn’t carry them as that wouldn’t be considered an upgrade so I’d have to go through the normal parts channel.

just thinking a rear upgrade may be doable
I've had a Detroit Locker in the Dana 60 rear of my 85 F-250, with a 466 Big Block and Warner T-18 Manuel Thee Tranny for a whole bunch of miles; nary a problem.
I don't know what the carrier unit is selling for these days...possibly under $1K, and then labor to install it.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
While living in Colorado, myself and others off-roaded in open diff vehicles, in my case mainly CJs. And had a lot of fun doing it. So I'm not as hung up on needing to have lockers as some folks.

I've watched some trail videos with groups of Broncos, and honestly it's usually more fun watching what the lesser equipped vehicles were doing. Checking out skill, how they picked lines and handled things. Some of the built up Sas guys seemed half asleep at the wheel, maybe they had that off-road cruise control feature activated, lol.
To be honest, I was kinda bored at Off-Roadeo for this reason. Sealed the deal with my decision on 7MT. I like a challenge and to learn from it. There were some guests that have never left pavement (I was one of those a couple of years ago) that were tackling challenging obstacles with ease because the truck did all the work for them. I get it. That’s where we’re at technically speaking. But, I’d rather I’d rather learn something from a line than breeze over it.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
4.27 is great for 33s and 34s. Acceleration, RPM range, and fuel economy are all good.
Is it that much different than the 4.46?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I completely agree. I leave both lockers off until necessary. You can get through a lot open and it's more fun to have a little challenge.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I completely agree. I leave both lockers off until necessary. You can get through a lot open and it's more fun to have a little challenge.

You break a lot less stuff that way too. I turn on the rear if it looks like I will need it and I wait to turn on a front until I've proven I do need it.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just saw the new 'Bronco E-Locker Wiring Kit' on Ford Performance parts - M-14489-BR .
Now we can order the entire front or rear axle units & wire up with this harness.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just saw the new 'Bronco E-Locker Wiring Kit' on Ford Performance parts - M-14489-BR .
Now we can order the entire front or rear axle units & wire up with this harness.
Nice catch! but ouch, $300 each? BTW I also see the 5.13 and 5.38 FDU's are on there. I didn't see those on there before, only 4.46 and 4.70. Are those new?

Sponsored

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice catch! but ouch, $300 each? BTW I also see the 5.13 and 5.38 FDU's are on there. I didn't see those on there before, only 4.46 and 4.70. Are those new?
Dusty,
I saw the 5.13s & 5.38s, too. I am not sure how long they have been available, but those will be great to run bigger tires!

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Dusty the 5.13 M210 has been available for a few weeks. Not sure if 5.38 are actually available.

I run with my rear locker on, I don't want it to be half actuated when I hit an obstacle.
5.13 and 5.38 FDU's are both on there with a Buy Now button. I'm glad to see it even though I won't be a customer. I've already bought a set of used M210 and M220 and have a set of 5.13 Yukon gears and install kits on the way, and should be able to get them all buttoned up for about a third the cost of these new units from Ford. But I'm glad to see there's somewhat of a confirmation from Ford that the deep gears do fit into the factory M210 housing, as the Internet Collective seems to believe otherwise. But I'll be confirming one way or the other first-hand, soon. At first I wondered if they were re-marketing the Spicer Ultimate 44 FDU's but they sure look like the stock ones in the product picture, including the aluminum shaft housing. Plus they cost about a thousand bucks less than the Spicers so I'm going to assume, for now, that those are factory FDU castings.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

5.13 and 5.38 FDU's are both on there with a Buy Now button. I'm glad to see it even though I won't be a customer. I've already bought a set of used M210 and M220 and have a set of 5.13 Yukon gears and install kits on the way, and should be able to get them all buttoned up for about a third the cost of these new units from Ford. But I'm glad to see there's somewhat of a confirmation from Ford that the deep gears do fit into the factory M210 housing, as the Internet Collective seems to believe otherwise. But I'll be confirming one way or the other first-hand, soon. At first I wondered if they were re-marketing the Spicer Ultimate 44 FDU's but they sure look like the stock ones in the product picture, including the aluminum shaft housing. Plus they cost about a thousand bucks less than the Spicers so I'm going to assume, for now, that those are factory FDU castings.
The reason the internet thinks they don’t fit the stock M210 is the video from Spicer that says they don’t. Others have confirmed some grinding is needed. Quite possibly these are modified to fit and the reason for the price increase over the 4.70.

Now they need to add the M220 so you can swap out both axles and have a set to sell.
Sponsored