First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is a 2dr BL/sas 7mt and I get a solid 2mpg improvement on 93 so far. "Spirited" driving mostly
Sponsored

Reactions: JNY

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You only really need to use 91 or higher if the compression ratio is 11:1 or higher. The 2.3 is only 9.5:1

Austin Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
93 definitely increases my mpg and can feel the extra 25hp. I only do it every 3-5 fill ups though. Or if it’s off road time

Austin Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You only really need to use 91 or higher if the compression ratio is 11:1 or higher. The 2.3 is only 9.5:1
Can you expand on this please? Does this mean 91 will do the same as 93? Thanks

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only run 93, only time she ever had regular was when they dropped her off I figure

I daily’d a Ram 1500 and would have gotten a Mustang GT or a Wrangler, so fuel economy isnt a concern

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With these turbo motors it’s best to use 93 octane . Let these motors run in Peak form at all times.

IXxMcCoyxXl

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i’ve run primarily 91 my wife has put regular in it and i noticed performance difference but was no better in fuel economy.

Reactions: JNY

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well we should've bought stock a few months ago. It's sad when my badlands is my "economy" rig that can drink the cheap stuff. Between my diesel truck, RV, and boat, I've stopped looking at the totals, and just count how many swipes of the card it takes to fill up.
Ditto here. Between the diesel truck, the RV, and the boat, what mileage the Bronco gets is a pretty minor issue. A week with the boat is $1k and that's taking it easy and not going too far.

Huntsetter1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s funny how people think differently. I never considered mileage when choosing octane. I have a 3.5 eco in my f150 and run 93 because it drives better. I assume it’s better for the motor because of how it feels. Maybe not but that’s how I think.

Sponsored

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
There’s more to it than just compression ratio.

This Is a forced induction engine.
More boost=pre-detonation at lower octane/lower temps/lower compression ratio, etc.

If the computer can adjust to make use of the higher octane by running higher boost etc. there are gains to be had.

I’ve got an 11.5:1 motor in the garage that runs just dandy on 87 by the way. Only 249.5cc/cylinder displacement though.

Last edited:

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s interesting the v6 only gets like 5 more torques. The 2.3 seems like it benefits the most from jumping to 93. I have nearly 10k on my 2022 2.3 all with 89. Maybe I should treat it for it’s 10k.
Maybe the 2.3 is handicapped more by lower octane due to it’s larger displacement/cylinder so it has more to gain going the other way?

Mr.FantastiK

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
4dr OBX 2.3L. Ran 87 for the first 6k miles and gas prices started to drop so I switched to 93 and have been using it for the last 2k miles.. I went from 21 MPG to 23 MPG and can clearly feel the power difference. If gas continues to drop I will stick with 93.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3L 7MT - 93 exclusively with Panda, Sprint Booster, Whipple Air Filter and Magnaflow Overland Catback. Fun as hell.

Drove a 2.7L auto Big Bend Sasquatch for two weeks on 87. BORING. Sluggish and couldn’t stand the auto’s shifting patterns.

OP
OP
JNY

JNY

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.3L 7MT - 93 exclusively with Panda, Sprint Booster, Whipple Air Filter and Magnaflow Overland Catback. Fun as hell.

Drove a 2.7L auto Big Bend Sasquatch for two weeks on 87. BORING. Sluggish and couldn’t stand the auto’s shifting patterns.
I didn't get a chance to drive the 4dr in either 2.3L or 2.7L. I was going to buy the 2Dr no matter what, so 2.3L was fine. I would have matched the 4Dr with the 2.7L regardless. In the end, the 2.3L might turn out to be the better engine.
Sponsored