Sponsored

Warning about Scam on Facebook. Jim's Auto Recycling Inc. (SCAM)

nelmaux

Outer Banks
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey everyone in the group

I want to share my experience to alert everyone about a well-orchestrated scam operating on Facebook. The page in question is: Facebook

Description: I recently fell victim to a sophisticated scam involving the sale of used parts at attractive prices. Here's how the scam works:

1. Irresistible Offer: The page offers used parts at very reasonable prices, luring potential buyers with tempting deals. Have pictures and details for the parts.
  2. Initial Payment: After making the initial payment, they request an additional payment to cover a supposed returnable shipping insurance.
  3. Fake Shipping Company: They present a fictitious shipping company and inform you that the insurance is necessary for delivery, promising to refund it in cash upon receiving the product.
  4. Detection of the Scam: After making the initial payment, I realized the scam by conducting further research and noticing discrepancies in their business practices.
Actions Taken: I have reported the page to Facebook multiple times, but unfortunately, it remains active. It is crucial that we all stay vigilant and avoid falling for such scams. Remember when you see something that's too good to be true, it probably isn't.

After falling into the trap, I evaluated several crucial aspects that clearly pointed to fraud:
  1. Falseness of the Shipping Company Website:
    • I noticed that the shipping company's website had a design similar to that of a legitimate company in the UK, which raised suspicions about its authenticity.
  2. Issues with Phone Numbers:
    • I discovered that the phone numbers registered on the page were not operational. When trying to contact the seller through the provided phone number, I realized they answered like a personal number, not a company. Moreover, when I inquired about the supposed company, they would abruptly end the call, raising further doubts.
  3. Money Return and "Company Policies":
    • I was offered a money return within 28 business days, justified as part of the "company policies." However, when I questioned the legality of this practice, I received no further responses, confirming the lack of transparency and potentially the illegality of their actions.
By sharing my experience, I hope others can learn to identify potential scams in the future and prevent more people from falling victim to this scam

Together, we can help protect the online community.

PS: Attached invoice for offered products
Sponsored

Attachments

Jhopkinson

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 4dr SAS, 22 Base 2dr SAS, 2021 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This sucks you to have to deal with this, but if something seems too good to be true....it usually is.

Sponsored

MotoFish

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That place had some hard to find Roadrunner seats. Father in law wanted them. After a short phone call with those guys it was obvious it was too good to be true and no money was ever sent. They wanted money sent through cash app at the time, about a year ago. Cant believe that page is still up and running.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone can be scammed, even the people who say they never would be. Thank you for reminding us that already know, and those who didn't, that the best way of handling something like this is to stay calm, let others know, and not to feel too ashamed to do so.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I donā€™t know why this keeps needing to be said,

NEVER SEND MONEY TO PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA YOU HAVENā€™T MET IN PERSON.
I bought three sets of world series tickets off of Reddit so not always a scam but I definitely rolled the dice on all of the purchases.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought three sets of world series tickets off of Reddit so not always a scam but I definitely rolled the dice on all of the purchases.
Definitely a gamble, but at least on Reddit, theyā€™d develop a pretty poor rep pretty quick if they were a scammer. Much easier to get away with it on Facebook where your profile can be curated.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So out of curiosity I checked out the page and what they were selling.

Every item pictured is taken from a different location, including some on carpeted floors :eek: :rolleyes:

My favorite one is the Tundra airbag taken on an unmade bed!!! :ROFLMAO:o_O:unsure:

This guy isn't even trying to look legitimate.
He's just taking pictures off of other sites and reposting the images. There is no Jim, no recycling center, nothing. And sometimes you just have to open your eyes and look what is right in front of you to see that.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got scammed, and if Facebook takes it down, I'm sure he has 10 more sites just like it and will open 10 more.

Buyer be educated!

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not real sophisticated but sorry you got scammed. Hopefully it was not for much.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sophisticated scam? There were red flags everywhere. If it sounds too good to be true, avoid it.
This. I have zero sympathy for people who completely ignore common sense.

And the worst part, people who get scammed by these obvious ones will absolutely get scammed again.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This. I have zero sympathy for people who completely ignore common sense.

And the worst part, people who get scammed by these obvious ones will absolutely get scammed again.
Shaming the scammed doubles down on the problem. It takes courage for someone to warn others when they find themselves duped into an in-hindsight poor decision. Even people with perfectly good sense make poor decisions (like a security minded user opening an email they shouldn't have, which I have done). Barstool-quality commentary only contributes to people not being open about these problems, hindering both personal introspection and community awareness.

In short, it's the person running a scam that's at fault. There is such a thing as live and learn.

Gregus73

Heritage
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Silverado 2500 HC, 2023 Bronco Heritage, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

On the lighter side, I was thinking of this commercial about getting dupped on the internet.
State FarmĀ® State of Disbelief French Model (youtube.com)

Next, I would file a police report and then work with your bank's fraud division or bank to see about getting the issue resolved, and possibly re-imbursed. I had resolved a similar issue in the past that way.
Sponsored

Last edited: