Sponsored

Was “Planning for Moab” - NOW “Off-Rodeo Reservation CONFIRMED!” - Some questions....

LoneRider

Outer Banks
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am starting the planning to attend Moab Off-Rodeo in September. Moab hotels prices are crazy, looking at Grand Junction as an alternative. I'll be driving my '22 OBX down from Seattle WA area, planning on two days to get there.

Looks like GJ is about a 2 hour drive from Moab, before committing to that I was wondering what time does the Off Rodeo start and how long does it run? Will adding 4 hours drive time and 250 miles or so make it an insufferably long day?

We are early birds, so heading out early isn't a problem not sure I want a 16 hour day though ;)

Also if you had one "extra" day in the area, what are the top 3-5 "must see" spots? The plan is arrive on Sat, Off Rodeo on Sun, do something on Mon and head out Tue morning.

UPDATE - Confirmed my reservations today. Will be doing the Off-Rodeo on Sat. Sept 10th!

Reservations for Arches on Sun 9/11, will find something else to do on 9/12 and head for home on Tue 9/13. Getting pretty excited!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am starting the planning to attend Moab Off-Rodeo in September. Moab hotels prices are crazy, looking at Grand Junction as an alternative. I'll be driving my '22 OBX down from Seattle WA area, planning on two days to get there.

Looks like GJ is about a 2 hour drive from Moab, before committing to that I was wondering what time does the Off Rodeo start and how long does it run? Will adding 4 hours drive time and 250 miles or so make it an insufferably long day?

We are early birds, so heading out early isn't a problem not sure I want a 16 hour day though ;)

Also if you had one "extra" day in the area, what are the top 3-5 "must see" spots? The plan is arrive on Sat, Off Rodeo on Sun, do something on Mon and head out Tue morning.
You can camp along the river near the Rodeo site if that suits you. The "Top of the World" trail is a good day trail if you are experienced and it's awesome! for the fuel cost difference and time loss you can find a lower priced hotel in Moab and do cool stuff with the extra hours you will save.

Reactions: abe
OP
OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Outer Banks
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can camp along the river near the Rodeo site if that suits you. The "Top of the World" trail is a good day trail if you are experienced and it's awesome! for the fuel cost difference and time loss you can find a lower priced hotel in Moab and do cool stuff with the extra hours you will save.
Unfortunately the person coming with me precludes camping. $230 a night vs $100 night in GJ is about $400 for three nights.

Probably should have mentioned my only "off road" experience is Forest Service and gravel roads. Absolute neophyte when it comes to anything more complicated so need to stick to "bunny trails" with my stock OBX and 32" tires.

Where exactly is the Off Rodeo site?

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately the person coming with me precludes camping. $230 a night vs $100 night in GJ is about $400 for three nights.

Probably should have mentioned my only "off road" experience is Forest Service and gravel roads. Absolute neophyte when it comes to anything more complicated so need to stick to "bunny trails" with my stock OBX and 32" tires.

Where exactly is the Off Rodeo site?

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's about midway down highway 128 between Danish exit along I 70 and Moab. The river drive is beautiful after you pass thru Cisco. That's coming from Grand Junction.

If your initially coming from Washington, you'll head east Past Green River Utah on I-70 to Crescent junction, then head south ten miles. Right as you cross the Colorado River into Moab, head east about 15 miles to the rodeo.

Keep in Mind, Green River Utah may be a closer option than Grand Junction. I pretty sure it is.

Sponsored

argrin

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tacoma TRD Offroad, KTM 690 E, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I stayed here in Moab for $132 a night and it was great. Just a group of tiny houses. Check out the reviews. Although the drive along the river up to GJ is awesome, I would not do that. If you have extra time, go to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. There are some cool drives through there that are off road but not difficult. Check these out.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I stayed here in Moab for $132 a night and it was great. Just a group of tiny houses. Check out the reviews. Although the drive along the river up to GJ is awesome, I would not do that. If you have extra time, go to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. There are some cool drives through there that are off road but not difficult. Check these out.
Yep and to get into Arches now requires a reservation.

Jmor

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We stayed at koa @green river they have small cabins for around 100.00 night and 1 hour from off rodeo

DDGator

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend 4-door Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There is so much cool stuff in and around Moab. You have to go to Arches National Park, and if you do any hiking, the hike to Delicate Arch is amazing.

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The drive to/from GJ through a picturesque canyon is worth a drive. the interstate to 191 is usually packed with traffic.
The driving experience started at 8-8:30 and was 8-10 hours, the bonfire afterwards was bonus time.
I don’t have much experience with all the trails in Moab, but I do know Colorado National Monument, and it is amazing.

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stay the night before and after. It starts early and ends later.

I liked the little cabins at the KOA. My non-camper partner really liked them.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Try AirBnB.

Iron Oxide

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slave 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Grand Junction is a little far IMO, lots of good recs listed above, but I usually stay at the Best Western Canyonlands. Right off Main St., not terribly pricey, and surprisingly comfy. So much so it's nicknamed "The world's best Best Western" in my family

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can shave a little bit of time between Cisco and Moab if you don't mind bombin the dirt road at 55mph+, 15 years ago that wasn't a problem not sure about now. But that drive sucks either way, would not do after a long day on the trail.
Sponsored