Sponsored

Well, bad news about the Icon Tubular UCAs…

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I’ve been running the Icon Tubular upper control arm with just their 3” spacer lift and the factory Bilsteins for about 7 months now.

I was just checking over the nuts and bolts and retorquing as needed a little bit ago and noticed the Icon Tubular UCA makes contact with the factory coil spring at full droop. It’s worn a little spot in the coil that has become flat.

Pretty bummed about this since their Delta Joint is a pretty solid design, I don’t know if I just got a one off defective set or what. I know their early batch of coilovers and billet UCAs were having issues with fitment so it wouldn’t surprise me if their tubular control arms were also having fitment issues. The factory coilover is a 2.0” coilover so I can’t imagine these would work with an aftermarket 2.5 or 3.0” coilover.

Has anyone noticed a similar issue?

IMG_3854.jpeg

IMG_3859.jpeg

IMG_3861.jpeg

IMG_3862.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

IMG_3865.jpeg

IMG_3867.jpeg
Sponsored

Reactions: LCW

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have kings with the icon tubular ucas but I haven’t had any issues. But I didn’t max out the lift or anything since I plan on staying on 35s for now. From stock Sasquatch, I think I’m sitting about 3” higher and the front and leveled. Is your picture showing it at a full droop?

OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have kings with the icon tubular ucas but I haven’t had any issues. But I didn’t max out the lift or anything since I plan on staying on 35s for now. From stock Sasquatch, I think I’m sitting about 3” higher and the front and leveled. Is your picture showing it at a full droop?
The first few pictures are full droop, had the bronco jacked up in my garage. The icon spacer kit uses a roughly 1 3/4” top spacer and a 1 1/4” preload spacer if I recall correctly, that’s just an educated guess. So also a 3” front lift height

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So they weren't rubbing on initial install but now they rub? Doesn't make sense. Not sure how many miles you have on them but looks to me like they may have been rubbing since they were installed. I don't think the Delta joint is the problem...seems to me your shocks have too much travel allowing the UCA to drop further than the intended range of motion therefore causing it to hit the spring.

I'm running Eibach 2.0 coilovers (+/-2.25" lift) with the same Icon UCA and have a good 1/2" of clearance at full droop.

OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So they weren't rubbing on initial install but now they rub? Doesn't make sense. Not sure how many miles you have on them but looks to me like they may have been rubbing since they were installed. I don't think the Delta joint is the problem...seems to me your shocks have too much travel allowing the UCA to drop further than the intended range of motion therefore causing it to hit the spring.

I'm running Eibach 2.0 coilovers (+/-2.25" lift) with the same Icon UCA and have a good 1/2" of clearance at full droop.
No I think it’s been rubbing the entire time. This is just the first time I noticed it. It’s definitely not the ball joint causing the issue. I’m sure it has something to do with the top hat spacer causing it to droop too far but I find it odd that that happens, considering Icon coilovers have the most travel out of any of the current options. This shouldn’t be happening with any off the shelf kits

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The stock springs are wider than many of the replacement coilovers.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No I think it’s been rubbing the entire time. This is just the first time I noticed it. It’s definitely not the ball joint causing the issue. I’m sure it has something to do with the top hat spacer causing it to droop too far but I find it odd that that happens, considering Icon coilovers have the most travel out of any of the current options. This shouldn’t be happening with any off the shelf kits
Agreed the Icons have probably the most amount of travel, that's the point...extra travel isn't necessarily a good thing. The top hat has no affect on the shock travel. The extra travel is allowing further droop causing the UCA to go beyond intended range of motion before the shock reaches full extension and bottoms out. This is also probably stressing the Delta joint as well...looks like it's maxed out in your pics. There's a couple threads out there on the subject of optimum shock travel...I'll see if I can find them.

OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed the Icons have probably the most amount of travel, that's the point...extra travel isn't necessarily a good thing. The top hat has no affect on the shock travel. The extra travel is allowing further droop causing the UCA to go beyond intended range of motion before the shock reaches full extension and bottoms out. This is also probably stressing the Delta joint as well...looks like it's maxed out in your pics. There's a couple threads out there on the subject of optimum shock travel...I'll see if I can find them.
I’m not saying the top hat spacer increased shock travel. But it increased how far the wheel can droop just do the essentially lowering the entire coilover assembly

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you removed the spacers on the coilvers would you have trouble? Have you asked ICON if that combination is compatible?
It doesn’t look like I’d have an issue with them if I removed the spacers. But I’m on 37s so I need the lift height. I actually originally ordered this kit as a placeholder while I waited for Fox to be in stock. I sent Icon an email yesterday. Waiting to hear back

Caleb@PandaMotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It doesn’t look like I’d have an issue with them if I removed the spacers. But I’m on 37s so I need the lift height. I actually originally ordered this kit as a placeholder while I waited for Fox to be in stock. I sent Icon an email yesterday. Waiting to hear back
We have multiple sets of Fox's in stock currently, if you are still searching for some :) I can even offer 10% off!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’ve seen that thread, but it’s kind of irrelevant to my issue, I’m not running aftermarket coilovers. Just saying that with the factory shocks there should be no issues, especially with a product from Icon. My original post wasn’t necessarily asking about why it’s doing that, more so asking if people have had a similar issue.
Seems irrelevant to Icon to make their aftermarket solutions designed around working in conjunction with OEM parts that they are also replacing and encouraging you to buy their products. (Stage 86 suspension is just hardware, Stage 87 suspension comes with stickers!)

OEM Sas spring is indeed wider than aftermarket coils, most specifically, Icon coils.

They made a solution which works with their own parts on the OEM mount points, as they should have.

OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems irrelevant to Icon to make their aftermarket solutions designed around working in conjunction with OEM parts that they are also replacing and encouraging you to buy their products. (Stage 86 suspension is just hardware, Stage 87 suspension comes with stickers!)

OEM Sas spring is indeed wider than aftermarket coils, most specifically, Icon coils.

They made a solution which works with their own parts on the OEM mount points, as they should have.
You would think they’d have made it a little more clear on their website.

Their original solution (early batch) didn’t work together with their parts either. The billet UCA was contacting the resi hose on their coilovers. You’d think they have this stuff sorted out and clarified before releasing it to the market. Again, it could just be a fixed design flaw or maybe it just really wasn’t designed to work with this set up. Either way, they should’ve clarified when they will and won’t work.

Luckily this info is now out there so people can research the forum to find out the icon UCAs don’t work with their spacer kit on sas shocks.
Sponsored