First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yesterday I came across an old web article about the design ideation process for the 6th gen Bronco. Frankly, I didn't find it very interesting or informative, but it contained an image of the Bronco prototype that I hadn't seen before. The picture shows a 2 in 1 clay model from the early design stages.

I will say that I really like the design of the left half. I think I like it even more than rear end of the production model. IMO it has a nice visual balance of squared and rounded shapes. The right half also looks great.

What are your thoughts?

Ford Bronco What 6th Gen Bronco Might Look Like Screenshot 2024-03-04 160127
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yesterday I came across an old web article about the design ideation process for the 6th gen Bronco. Frankly, I didn't find it very interesting or informative, but it contained an image of the Bronco prototype that I hadn't seen before. The picture shows a 2 in 1 clay model from the early design stages.

I will say that I really like the design of the left half. I think I like it even more than rear end of the production model. IMO it has a nice visual balance of squared and rounded shapes. The right half also looks great.

What are your thoughts?

Ford Bronco What 6th Gen Bronco Might Look Like Screenshot 2024-03-04 160127
I think there is a reason they changed the design to what we have today......

Everybody goes through design iterations until they have something they think is "good".

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think there is a reason they changed the design to what we have today......

Everybody goes through design iterations until they have something they think is "good".
The reality is that oftentimes really great concepts don't reach the production stage for multiple reasons such as time or budget constraints, technological limitations, or sometimes it's just a personal opinion of one of the main stakeholders.

For instance, both the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Pontiac Aztek went through design iterations until the team came up with the concept that was considered "good" and approved for production. One of these vehicles still looks cool and another one is ugly AF.

I like the production version, but at the time I would also be happy if they had greenlit either of these design concepts.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I guess I was just trying to be polite about what I actually thought about the aesthetics.... Having taught classes in design..... I am very very familiar with the process.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess I was just trying to be polite about what I actually thought about the aesthetics.... Having taught classes in design..... I am very very familiar with the process.
I'm sure we could have a long conversation about aesthetic-functional harmony in design. I've been working as a graphic designer for almost 20 years now.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
The reality is that oftentimes really great concepts don't reach the production stage for multiple reasons such as time or budget constraints, technological limitations, or sometimes it's just a personal opinion of one of the main stakeholders.

For instance, both the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Pontiac Aztek went through design iterations until the team came up with the concept that was considered "good" and approved for production. One of these vehicles still looks cool and another one is ugly AF.

I like the production version, but at the time I would also be happy if they had greenlit either of these design concepts.
Both the Aztec and Cruiser looked ugly AF. The Bronco needs a tailgate.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it had turned out like the one on the right and bottom. No way in hell I would have bought one. And might not have ever bought another Ford. I’m still pissed off about the Bronco Sport, and Mach E.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Of those 2 the left, but production is far better.

Debatable. I thought they were wonky then and they've aged poorly IMO.

Different strokes for different folks. I've always liked the FJ and wish Toyota would bring them back.

Ford Bronco What 6th Gen Bronco Might Look Like 1709609869174

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
The FJ40 was awesome, Ford did right with the EB in copying their concept. Then Ford dropped the ball, chasing the Blazer and Ramcharger layout. The Turtle can look okay with enough money thrown at it with lift and large tires, but is homely as can be off the showroom floor.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The FJ40 was awesome, Ford did right with the EB in copying their concept. Then Ford dropped the ball, chasing the Blazer and Ramcharger layout. The Turtle can look okay with enough money thrown at it with lift and large tires, but is homely as can be off the showroom floor.
I agree – it requires at least a lift kit and bigger wheels to make an FJ look serious. The same could be said about the base Bronco.

Ford Bronco What 6th Gen Bronco Might Look Like 1709611838424

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree – it requires at least a lift kit and bigger wheels to make an FJ look serious. The same could be said about the base Bronco.

Ford Bronco What 6th Gen Bronco Might Look Like 1709611838424
Geez, you did the Base Bronco dirty by showing a moar door stripper Base to emphasize your point. Weird as your profile handle seems to allude to your allegiance.

Bigred86

Black Diamond
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2016 Harley Davidson Sportster48
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm glad the way the Bronco design turned out, Homerun for Ford in that aspect. I do love seeing concept designs and prototypes and thinking about what could have been. Very fascinating.

On a side note, FJ cruisers look cool to me, and I think the later model Aztek's, the ones where the took off the side body cladding don't look that bad. Especially with a lift.
Ford Bronco What 6th Gen Bronco Might Look Like 1709641148887

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What do I think of the renderings... hmmmm, hard to say, neither have a big ass tire hanging on the back.
Sponsored