LUKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought Issue 01 today. I remember buying issue 1 of recoil magazine and giving it away to find out later it’s was worth a lot on eBay.

IMG_1272.jpeg
Sponsored

Barbeau

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner MT SR5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Installed the Hotheads headliner this morning. Looks to be very good quality. Time will tell. Love the finished look it gives to the interior.

Ford Bronco What did you do TO / WITH your Bronco today? πŸ‘¨πŸ»β€πŸ”§πŸ§°πŸšΏπŸ›  IMG_1272
they look great! do these help with noise? might you have a link?

Barbeau

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner MT SR5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Preference. Just like a soft top or hard top.
i don’t mind it, but i am curious if the wear on the battery and starter outweighs the fuel efficiency benefit. anyone have knowledge on the matter?

Ozbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 4 door, 2.7 litre, cactus grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250, Ford Expedition Max, Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i don’t mind it, but i am curious if the wear on the battery and starter outweighs the fuel efficiency benefit. anyone have knowledge on the matter?
There is no fuel efficiency gained from the auto stop. It’s about emissions standards. In fact you may lose some fuel efficiency from the starting procedure.

Barbeau

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner MT SR5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is no fuel efficiency gained from the auto stop. It’s about emissions standards. In fact you may lose some fuel efficiency from the starting procedure.
Thanks for the insight. I’m confused though β€” aren’t emissions and fuel efficiency proportional (everything else being equal of course)? The emissions come from the combusting of fuel β€” If I’m combusting fuel, I’m releasing emissions. If I’m not combusting fuel, I’m not releasing emissions. They should go hand in hand, and roughly proportional to each other (I understand that starting takes more fuel than idling so of course there is some efficiency loss in re-starting over idling for some threshold time).

So, with A.S.S off: if I’m not moving but combusting fuel and going nowhere, by definition my fuel efficiency is decreasing (and my emissions are increasing). What I wonder is whether the financial and (production & shipping) energy costs of battery and starter wear outweigh the financial and energy savings from the A.S.S.

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just do not see the plus side of it. Wear and tear makes sense to me of the constant on and off. Should be an option when ordering IMO.

Black Wildtrak Bandit

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks nice. I had looked into a waterport which is basically the same thing, but a plastic container. The plastic housing is what deterred me from going that route. Looks like an aluminum tank?
Yes, aluminum … that’s why I passed on the waterport too! Very sturdy, came with everything needed to mount it, and quick disconnects for the included hose and sprayer. I bought a simple DC air pump to pressurize it after each use.

Sponsored

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250, Ford Expedition Max, Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the insight. I’m confused though β€” aren’t emissions and fuel efficiency proportional (everything else being equal of course)? The emissions come from the combusting of fuel β€” If I’m combusting fuel, I’m releasing emissions. If I’m not combusting fuel, I’m not releasing emissions. They should go hand in hand, and roughly proportional to each other (I understand that starting takes more fuel than idling so of course there is some efficiency loss in re-starting over idling for some threshold time).

So, with A.S.S off: if I’m not moving but combusting fuel and going nowhere, by definition my fuel efficiency is decreasing (and my emissions are increasing). What I wonder is whether the financial and (production & shipping) energy costs of battery and starter wear outweigh the financial and energy savings from the A.S.S.
Good question. I have similar thoughts about weighing the advantages versus disadvantages but decided right away to shut mine off with a forscan setting because not only do I dislike the wear and tear but it annoys me to hit the gas and have my vehicle lung and die, then restart at a stoplight (which happened more often than not).

As far as fuel economy versus emissions the answer is no, they are not proportional. As emissions standards have gotten tougher fuel efficiency has gone down substantially in both gasoline and diesel engines. The additional processing that it takes to burn the carbon out of our emissions makes the engine much less efficient. If you strip all the emissions requirements off of an engine, you have much higher horsepower and better fuel efficiency from that same engine. That’s why you see so many people removing DEF systems and the like from diesel engines. It not only decreases horsepower and efficiency but also has more moving pieces and sensors to go wrong. However, I’ve not removed the DEF system from any of my diesels.

I’m not against emissions standards. I just think that often the benefits don’t outweigh the negatives and too often rules are put in place to make it look like we’re doing something and not because they actually make sense. Electric car mandates would be a great example of that.

Last edited:

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Barbeau

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner MT SR5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good question. I have similar thoughts about weighing the advantages versus disadvantages but decided right away to shut mine off with a forscan setting because not only do I dislike the wear and tear but it annoys me to hit the gas and have my vehicle lung and die, then restart at a stoplight (which happened more often than not).

As far as fuel economy versus emissions the answer is no, they are not proportional. As emissions standards have gotten tougher fuel efficiency has gone down substantially in both gasoline and diesel engines. The additional processing that it takes to burn the carbon out of our emissions makes the engine much less efficient. If you strip all the emissions requirements off of an engine, you have much higher horsepower and better fuel efficiency from that same engine. That’s why you see so many people removing DEF systems and the like from diesel engines. It not only decreases horsepower and efficiency but also has more moving pieces and sensors to go wrong. However, I’ve not removed the DEF system from any of my diesels.

I’m not against emissions standards. I just think that often the benefits don’t outweigh the negatives and too often rules are put in place to make it look like we’re doing something and not because they actually make sense. Electric car mandates would be a great example of that.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I agree that a lot of what we do is window dressing rather than functional. Curious to learn more about this β€” you’ve inspired me to look deeper, which (as a professor but also citizen) is one of the greatest things one can do. Rock on.
Sponsored