Sponsored

What Do You Use as a Protectant on Your Hard Top?

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you talked to your dealer about getting it warranted? Its not supposed to show honeycomb. As for cleaning I wash it just like the rest of the car.. and by that I mean I go to the drive thru places about once a month.
Sponsored

58james

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am looking for solid advice on what you use as a protectant on the hard top (especially) and other plastics such as the fender flares. I used 303 Protectant once on my hard top, but then stopped because the ingredients says it contains nonylphenol polyethylene glycol ether, I am not sure if these ingredients are a form of alcohol or solvent.

In certain light and angles, you can see honeycombing on my hard top. I picked up my Bronco 6/23. I noticed the honey combing within the first week after taking delivery. I can't imagine the honeycombing was caused by one use of the 303 protectant, but I have not used anything on my hard top since the one application.

From the manual

CLEANING THE HARD TOP

We recommend that you only clean the hard top in the following way:
  1. Use a sponge to remove dust and loose dirt on the hard top surface.
  2. Wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth and a mild soap and water solution.Dry the area with a clean, soft cloth.
  3. Make sure the surface of your hard top is dry before applying a small amount of conditioner or spray wax.
  4. For additional information and assistance, we recommend that you contact an authorized dealer.
Note: Test any conditioner or spray wax on an inconspicuous area before applying broadly.
Note: Do not use alcohol containing cleaner or any type of solvent on the hard top surface.
Note: Do not use power tools, paste wax or polish on the hard top surface.
Note: Do not use chemical solvents or strong detergents when cleaning the hard top. If any chemical solvent gets on the hard top surface, remove it immediately from the surface to avoid unrepairable damage.
I had ceramic coat put on my 2024 wildtrak

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I started using this: https://www.carsupplieswarehouse.com/products/car-perl

Can be mixed to different ratios for different applications. I used it on all the exterior plastic. Will try on everything interior next, diluted oven more... will try it on the tires next time needed.

Ford Bronco What Do You Use as a Protectant on Your Hard Top? IMG_7163.JPG

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine has cracks after four months of owning it. Picked it up Oct 2022 and found cracks Feb 2023 and never put anything on it except water when rinsing it off. I plan on getting it replaced before the warranty ends. I would say just don't bother with anything other than car wash soap and water since odds are it will need to get replaced at least once before your warranty ends.
My top has a small area of spider-like cracks. Less than a year old, so likewise I'll wait and see what happens over time.

I'd like to put some kind of protectant on the top and in particular that area, to try and avoid water wicking into the surface via the cracks or edges. Just not sure yet what to go with. I like my Bronco a lot, and I like the top design, but dang the cracks are a bummer. :(

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking for solid advice on what you use as a protectant on the hard top (especially) and other plastics such as the fender flares. I used 303 Protectant once on my hard top, but then stopped because the ingredients says it contains nonylphenol polyethylene glycol ether, I am not sure if these ingredients are a form of alcohol or solvent.

In certain light and angles, you can see honeycombing on my hard top. I picked up my Bronco 6/23. I noticed the honey combing within the first week after taking delivery. I can't imagine the honeycombing was caused by one use of the 303 protectant, but I have not used anything on my hard top since the one application.

From the manual

CLEANING THE HARD TOP

We recommend that you only clean the hard top in the following way:
  1. Use a sponge to remove dust and loose dirt on the hard top surface.
  2. Wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth and a mild soap and water solution.Dry the area with a clean, soft cloth.
  3. Make sure the surface of your hard top is dry before applying a small amount of conditioner or spray wax.
  4. For additional information and assistance, we recommend that you contact an authorized dealer.
Note: Test any conditioner or spray wax on an inconspicuous area before applying broadly.
Note: Do not use alcohol containing cleaner or any type of solvent on the hard top surface.
Note: Do not use power tools, paste wax or polish on the hard top surface.
Note: Do not use chemical solvents or strong detergents when cleaning the hard top. If any chemical solvent gets on the hard top surface, remove it immediately from the surface to avoid unrepairable damage.
Aerospace 303 was formulated to protect aircraft and associated equipment from sun/UV exposure.
A friend of mine, a three-Corvette guy, worked at Wright Patterson AFB where they initiated the contract; he swears by it.
I use it all the time...and just look at how I've turned out!!!

Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Griot's
Ford Bronco What Do You Use as a Protectant on Your Hard Top? 1713993543396-gk

JWBroncoATL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ceramic coated it myself. Super easy.

Greg2060

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have always used Armorall on all outside plastic and the dash of every vehicle I have owned. Haven't used on the Bronco yet but plan on doing so.
Sponsored