Sponsored

What You Learn After Signing... mud flaps and power running board recommendations?

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
šŸ˜³Iā€™m just shocked that you didnā€™t expect tire sling from driving on wet, muddy roads until after ā€œsigningā€. Did you also find out after ā€œsigningā€ that you would have to use windshield wipers to clean windshield when itā€™s raining out??šŸ¤ÆšŸ«¤
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are dozens threads on forums and youtube videos talking about the first things to buy when you get a new bronco. I believe front mudflaps are number 1 on almost all of them. Research is key when picking out a new vehicle. A car salesman has no clue about any of this and is only interested in selling the most expensive option.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We are no strangers to road mud on the side of our vehicles but this is the first time we have owned a vehicle where the mud has traveled this high up the side panels. So, being a person of reasonable intelligence, I thought I would ask the questions to the people who have the Bronco experience.

I really did not expect a few of the snide responses but then, this is the internet and this is where folks can be nasty. Reading through the posts, most were positive and very helpful with suggestions and product links. Your post wasn't but it was easy to tell you didn't read the thread, you knee-jerked to a thread title wanting to be a wise guy.

If this was clickbait or BS, then I would not have posted a picture of what I am trying to mitigate. Why you would even think this is amazing to me.
I actually gave what I thought was good advice if the post was sincere, but I also commented on the thread title which came across, at least to me and I feel a few others, as if the dealer deceived you somehow, which shouldn't be the case with this type of purchase about mud.

Too many people actually have really bad dealership stories and when you lead with 'we didnā€™t learn until after we signed' , people click to see if another unscrupulous sale had taken place and when you read your post about needed mud flaps, well it feels like an overdramatic headline to get people to click.

So, again I say, if you were sincerely looking for a way to keep mud off your ride, advice was given, and advice was given on your word choice in your title. No you didn't ask for that, and I'm not putting myself in any role as gatekeeper or editor, just my 2 cents which is probably what it's worth.

Do with that whatever you like. I'm not here to spread hate, sorry you took it that way, but everyone reads and interprets what they will.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

šŸ˜³Iā€™m just shocked that you didnā€™t expect tire sling from driving on wet, muddy roads until after ā€œsigningā€. Did you also find out after ā€œsigningā€ that you would have to use windshield wipers to clean windshield when itā€™s raining out??šŸ¤ÆšŸ«¤
To be fair, an F150 or most any SUV usually comes with front mudflaps and doesnā€™t sling mud down the side nearly as bad as a Bronco. The salesman should have recommended adding the available Ford mudflaps to their order. But salesmen have no clue.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To be fair, an F150 or most any SUV usually comes with front mudflaps and doesnā€™t sling mud down the side nearly as bad as a Bronco. The salesman should have recommended adding the available Ford mudflaps to their order. But salesmen have no clue.

That's actually not true with F150s, I wouldn't really know about SUVs without looking into it, but it's not standard equipment on pickups, certainly not F150s

Ford Bronco What You Learn After Signing... mud flaps and power running board recommendations? 1707141071309

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would research and get the widest and longest mud flaps you can. They are not overly expensive and are relatively easy to install. I would try that first and see the results. Sometimes we are surprised with mud, rock throwing etc. of the Bronco, depending on our expectations, needs, etc. I had no idea the stock Sasquatch tires would throw so many rocks. I have the Mabbett mud flaps installed, thought they would prevent rocks from hitting the body when I rented a cabin for a week in Rural Georga. Nope, there were many chipped areas that I had to touch up. The rocks get by the mud flaps- they fling everywhere. But it is what it is, I still love the Bronco as it is with no running boards.

DemonGT

Heritage
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Driving in those conditions what makes you think power running boards are going to work out well?

Quicklime

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch 2 Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
Now I'm curious if the OP put any kind of ceramic coating/wax/sealant on the Bronco's finish before they took it out to get dirty? Because if you're not going to take care of the finish, who cares?

DbarD

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, it has been about three weeks since my wife took delivery of her 2024 Bronco Outer Banks. We live deep in the rural, well-off paved roads. The mud roads we drive versus the design of the Bronco isn't working well for us. I hope I'll come across others who have addressed similar issues and can offer some recommendations.

As you can see from the picture, the entire side of the vehicle is spayed in mud. The running boards do nothing but make it worse. The mud collects around the outside door handles making a mess in your hand and the running boards are mounted too high to serve the purpose of getting in or out of the vehicle. They stick out just far enough from the vehicle to make it impossible to swing your lower legs out from the vehicle far enough to avoid picking up a fresh horizontal mud imprint across the back of your lower pant leg.

The running boards, they gotta go. I'm looking for a recommendation on mud flaps that would reduce the amount of mud painted on the side of the vehicle. Also, I would entertain power running boards that would swing down low enough to assist in getting in and out.

A thousand thanks to anyone who can tell me how they solved this issue.

Ford Bronco What You Learn After Signing... mud flaps and power running board recommendations? 1707141071309
What you are experiencing is part rural life with any vehicle. You see the same on Jeeps or any other vehicle. Moving the running boards or replacing them may not help much however, mud flaps can reduce the amount of mud flung up
On the sides. One problem though with mud flaps is first the are plastic held in with plastic fasteners next in heavy mud they can come off. The dirt and mud is part of our lives for those of us how live on farms and ranches and to me a badge of
Rural country life.
Good luck and best wishes

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The mabetts (or other Amazon brands that are the same flap) will block most of the mud . . .
Mabett mud flaps (and their clones) are a decent, reasonably priced option. Unfortunately, they mount directly to the front and rear fenders using metal brackets which sit exposed in the wheel wells, just inches away from the tire. One good hit to the metal bracket could potentially damage the fender. We tried them out for a week or two. They look nice, provide decent mud, rock protection, but not fond of the mounting system.

One of the few mud-flaps that are 100% frame mounted and supported are the Rokblokz. They're extremely flexible (and easily removed via thumbscrews) and will bend at crazy angles without damage. There's also an XL Long version if you prefer maximum mud, rock protection. Yes, they're a little pricey ($420 front/rear), but still cheaper than a fender repair.

Last edited:

Sponsored

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rock Slide Engineering, yes they are pricey but they are a Win Win. My wife is vertically challenged and they keep her from sliding off the seat, reducing seat wear and mud tracks up her legs. They stop the door dings from those inconsiderate Idiots in parking lots, and help with mud sling greatly. These with a set of mud flaps would be a huge help. I had these in my garage before our Bronco arrived after we attended the Bronco Off Road Rodeo. And yes they are a great rock slider if you're ever inclined. Jim.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rokblokz for the front and a full length removable step for the factory rock sliders will be my very first purchase for the new bronco. Together they should block moat of the mud and rocks from getting to the paint and door handles. But these choices were made because I need to be able to remove them easily before doing technical rock crawling. Otherwise the Mabett or any of the no-drill front mudflap options would help quite a bit on a non Sasquatch bronco for running muddy rural roads.

Raykdman

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350, 2022 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I added Amp Research powered running boards and Weathertech mud flaps. The running boards have made it easier to access the vehicle versus the factory ones. Also like the look when they are folded in.

coadr

Badlands
First Name
Coady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rokblokz for the front and a full length removable step for the factory rock sliders will be my very first purchase for the new bronco. Together they should block moat of the mud and rocks from getting to the paint and door handles. But these choices were made because I need to be able to remove them easily before doing technical rock crawling. Otherwise the Mabett or any of the no-drill front mudflap options would help quite a bit on a non Sasquatch bronco for running muddy rural roads.
This right here. Rokblokz, while expensive, are killer. Especially with the quick release screws. Also added the infamous but incredible Archetype Magnum Stirrups after this photo was taken and they also help with keeping the doors and rear fenders cleaner.
Ford Bronco What You Learn After Signing... mud flaps and power running board recommendations? IMG_0145

Mr Bacon Jr

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bison ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This right here. Rokblokz, while expensive, are killer. Especially with the quick release screws. Also added the infamous but incredible Archetype Magnum Stirrups after this photo was taken and they also help with keeping the doors and rear fenders cleaner.

This- 100% this. I have a similar use case to OP. Dirt road, snow, mud. Bought the Mabett flaps and they certainly reduced the amount of mud thrown up on the side of the Bronco, but there was still a good amount. Swapped to the RokBlokz and the reduction in crap on the side of the Bronco was pretty remarkable. Make sure you have them as far outboard as you can (they are adjustable).

As far as the steps, I would get a set of @GoatFab 20 degree sliders. You can step on them to get in and out, and even if you never take the truck rock crawling, they are still super useful at protecting the side of the truck from door dings.

Ford Bronco What You Learn After Signing... mud flaps and power running board recommendations? IMG_0552
Sponsored

Last edited: