Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
okay how does this relate to bronco
Great question beachman101,

It doesn't directly relate per se; the intent of this thread is to educate enthusiasts on backspace and offset. We feel it helps to have an understanding of the numbers when searching aftermarket wheels.

So in plain English please what the biggest size tire I can fit lower then the Badlands trim. meaning base, big bend and black diamond non-sasquatch 17 inch rim Discount Tire thanks Tire Rack did not know
Echoing @buzpro - we'll need to measure the each trim level first to gain insight into aftermarket wheel and tire fitments. We have a dedicate team for this and good working relationships with dealers in the area. As soon as we get our hands on one, we'll be sure to post up our findings.

Is there any official information available on the offset and backspacing for the 33" badlands standad wheel?
Not that we can confirm on our end unfortunately.

I thought we had it from @LEGEND that the Sasquatch 8.5" wheels were 30 or 32MM offset, but OK.
Certainly possible, but we can not confirm that to be the case at this time.
Sponsored

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We've seen a few questions come up recently regarding this topic so we thought this write-up may be useful. This is a high level overview and the examples shown are not specific to the Bronco 6G fitment.

Mods feel free to sticky if found beneficial.

Offset and backspace are essentially two different ways of looking at the same thing. They determine the location of the wheel and tire assembly when bolted to the vehicles hub.

Offset is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the wheels center line.

With X being the determined offset, the hub mounting surface on positive offset wheels is X amount forward from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on negative offset wheels is X amount backwards from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on 0 offset wheels is the wheel center line.

Backspacing is the measurement from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel.

2021 Bronco wheels offset backspace.png

***Typically speaking, the higher the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will tuck inwards towards the suspension or away from the fender. The lower the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will push out away from the suspension or towards the fender.

For Example:

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is +12mm, the hub mounting surface will be 12mm forward from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 5.5"

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is -12mm, the hub mounting surface would be 12mm towards the back of the wheel from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 4.5"

Here's how to calculate the backspacing using the rim width and offset:

First - add 1" to the rim width and then divide by 2 to find the wheels center line (you have to account for the wheel flange which is why you add 1" to the rim width) . Second - convert the offset which is in millimeters into inches. There is 25.4mm in 1 inch so divide the offset by 25.4. Lastly - add the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is positive for the correct backspacing. Subtract the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is negative for the correct backspacing.

For Example:

17x9 +12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"
*10"/2 = 5" (wheels center line)
*+12mm offset/25.4 = 0.47" (0.50" rounded up)
*0.50" + 5" = 5.50" Backspace

17x9 -12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"
*-12mm offset/25.4 = 0.47" (0.50" rounded up)
*0.50" - 5" = 4.50" Backspace

***Please note that the wheels center line is the backspacing for 0 offset wheels.

Check out our TIPS & GUIDES Section at discounttire.com for more helpful write-ups!

Here's an offset/backspace chart for quick reference:

1607714222731.png
Thanks Discount! Now if you can just start carrying Fuel Vector D601 Anthracite 17X9 (-12 offset / 4.5 backspace) wheels in the Bronco pattern to go with the BFG AT/TA KO2 33X12.50R17 tires I'll also need for my Black Diamond this summer, you'll stay in my good graces. Five each please. Don't make me go to 4WP! The store on N Power in Mesa is the bomb!

OP
OP
Discount Tire

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks Discount! Now if you can just start carrying Fuel Vector D601 Anthracite 17X9 (-12 offset / 4.5 backspace) wheels in the Bronco pattern to go with the BFG AT/TA KO2 33X12.50R17 tires I'll also need for my Black Diamond this summer, you'll stay in my good graces. Five each please. Don't make me go to 4WP! The store on N Power in Mesa is the bomb!
Hello from a fellow Arizonian :cool: Happy to hear your pleased with the N. Power location in Mesa!

As you've found, we do not carry the Fuel Vector series, however we can special order it. When you're ready to pull the trigger, shoot us a PM and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Musicalfisherman

Badlands
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

In AZ someone crawled under the 2 door Badlands and snapped a picture of the upgraded non-Sasquatch wheel and it was stamped as a 55mm backspace.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...d-for-optional-badlands-wheel-55-offset.9585/
Right - that is the thread I linked to, because @LEGEND posted the 8.5” Sasquatch wheel has a 30 stamped on it. The difference between the two makes sense because it fits the math of how you get from Badlands width to Sasquatch and width. (You’d need wheels that stick out about an inch further plus 1/4” of wheel width plus 1/2” of tire width.)

Glcmranger

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We've seen a few questions come up recently regarding this topic so we thought this write-up may be useful. This is a high level overview and the examples shown are not specific to the Bronco 6G fitment.

Offset and backspace are essentially two different ways of looking at the same thing. They determine the location of the wheel and tire assembly when bolted to the vehicles hub.

Offset is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the wheels center line.

With X being the determined offset, the hub mounting surface on positive offset wheels is X amount forward from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on negative offset wheels is X amount backwards from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on 0 offset wheels is the wheel center line.

Backspacing is the measurement from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel.

***Typically speaking, the higher the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will tuck inwards towards the suspension or away from the fender. The lower the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will push out away from the suspension or towards the fender.

For Example:

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is +12mm, the hub mounting surface will be 12mm forward from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 5.5"

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is -12mm, the hub mounting surface would be 12mm towards the back of the wheel from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 4.5"

First - add 1" to the rim width and then divide by 2 to find the wheels center line (you have to account for the wheel flange which is why you add 1" to the rim width) . Second - convert the offset which is in millimeters into inches. There is 25.4mm in 1 inch so divide the offset by 25.4. Lastly - add the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is positive for the correct backspacing. Subtract the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is negative for the correct backspacing.

For Example:

17x9 +12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

17x9 -12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

***Please note that the wheels center line is the backspacing for 0 offset wheels.

Check out our TIPS & GUIDES Section at discounttire.com for more helpful write-ups!

1607714222731.png
Still very confusing. The big question that will put this matter into proper perspective is to know which side of the cross section pictures of the three wheels is the outside (closest to the exterior of the vehicle) and which is the side closest to the interior/engine block of the vehicle? This one simple little piece of information will allow one to understand the relational term of "back space." Help please.

Glcmranger

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

For Example:

For Example:

17x9 +12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

17x9 -12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

1607714222731.png
Just found this video that helps explain the matter and somewhat reduces my confusion. The problem with the video is the use of different terms to express almost but not quite the same concept. The two terms are "higher offset/lower offset" and "positive offset/negative offset." It seems that offset is related to the position/distance of the centerline of the wheel and the surface of the wheel hub that mounts to the axle hub. Backspacing is in relation to the same thing. The narrator seems to use the terms interchangeably without making it perfectly clear the relation between the two different terms. The pictures for both concepts are identical. One has to infer to much.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Certainly possible, but we can not confirm that to be the case at this time.
Sasquatch Wheel:

Ford Bronco Wheel Offset and Backspace | How do they relate? 3E0F10B5-39BA-4455-9185-A21ACAACFD92

Upgraded BL Wheel:

Ford Bronco Wheel Offset and Backspace | How do they relate? 4931FE6C-DE62-4DFB-9EBA-EA3288A5E713

Steelies off the Ranger that appear to be carried over to the Bronco:
Ford Bronco Wheel Offset and Backspace | How do they relate? A9EDBA3A-DD8B-4359-9F82-828EAFC141A8

Ford Bronco Wheel Offset and Backspace | How do they relate? 35EFD9C3-D601-45AC-BEDA-5164D4706232

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wish they hadn't changed the PCD by 4.7mm from the F-150. Would have made it a lot easier to get aftermarket wheels. My assumption is there is a reason Ford doesn't want you swapping wheels from the F-150s. Or planned obsolescence.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base

For Example:

For Example:

17x9 +12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

17x9 -12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

1607714222731.png
I am a super happy Discount Tire customer for my Mustang. I have a second set of wheels and tires for Winter use, that I bought from them. One time incremental cost is the wheels and the value stems. I actually do not look at the tires themselves as an incremental cost. They are wearing out half as fast because I swap them out twice a year. All I did was move up the purchase of my second set, but I would have eventually had to buy that second set, so incrementally, it did not cost me anything more. For the Mustang, the tires are small and light enough to carry back home and store in my basement. I love getting a completely different look to my Mustang, without changing anything mechanically on it.

For the Bronco, I am getting the base 30s on steel wheels and then getting 32s, maybe 33s with alloy wheels from Discount Tire to swap out. Would love to get advice on whether I can get away with a 16" v. the 17s and get more tire/less wheel. Also, I don't think I can handle getting bigger tires than my Mustang ones down into the basement. Which means, I might have to pay to store them.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wish they hadn't changed the PCD by 4.7mm from the F-150. Would have made it a lot easier to get aftermarket wheels. My assumption is there is a reason Ford doesn't want you swapping wheels from the F-150s. Or planned obsolescence.
Look up the bolt pattern for 97-03 f150, or the 97-98 f250 7700.... Ford has a history of being difficult lol.

OP
OP
Discount Tire

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Still very confusing. The big question that will put this matter into proper perspective is to know which side of the cross section pictures of the three wheels is the outside (closest to the exterior of the vehicle) and which is the side closest to the interior/engine block of the vehicle? This one simple little piece of information will allow one to understand the relational term of "back space." Help please.
The front face of the wheel is to the right side when looking at the image. We apologize for the confusion with that.

Just found this video that helps explain the matter and somewhat reduces my confusion. The problem with the video is the use of different terms to express almost but not quite the same concept. The two terms are "higher offset/lower offset" and "positive offset/negative offset." It seems that offset is related to the position/distance of the centerline of the wheel and the surface of the wheel hub that mounts to the axle hub. Backspacing is in relation to the same thing. The narrator seems to use the terms interchangeably without making it perfectly clear the relation between the two different terms. The pictures for both concepts are identical. One has to infer to much.
You're correct, offset is the position/distance of the mounting pad from the wheel's centerline, measured in millimeters. Backspacing is the distance from the mounting pad to the back lip of the wheel, typically represented in standard measurement.

I agree, the higher/lower offset and positive/negative offset can be confusing when the terms are used synonymously. When comparing two negative offset wheels, one could have a higher offset, such as 17x9 with -24mm offset versus a 17x9 with -12mm offset. The negative -12mm offset in this example would he higher.

Here's an example that may be useful:

When mounted on a vehicle, a 17x10 with 4.5-inches of backspace will sit different than say, a 17x8.5 with 4.5-inches of backspace, even thought the backpacking is the same. Specifically, the front lip of the 17x10 will sit 1.5-inches further out, however the inside lip of both sizes will have the same clearance towards the suspension.

Ford Bronco Wheel Offset and Backspace | How do they relate? 1607952726637

I am a super happy Discount Tire customer for my Mustang. I have a second set of wheels and tires for Winter use, that I bought from them. One time incremental cost is the wheels and the value stems. I actually do not look at the tires themselves as an incremental cost. They are wearing out half as fast because I swap them out twice a year. All I did was move up the purchase of my second set, but I would have eventually had to buy that second set, so incrementally, it did not cost me anything more. For the Mustang, the tires are small and light enough to carry back home and store in my basement. I love getting a completely different look to my Mustang, without changing anything mechanically on it.

For the Bronco, I am getting the base 30s on steel wheels and then getting 32s, maybe 33s with alloy wheels from Discount Tire to swap out. Would love to get advice on whether I can get away with a 16" v. the 17s and get more tire/less wheel. Also, I don't think I can handle getting bigger tires than my Mustang ones down into the basement. Which means, I might have to pay to store them.
Thank you for your continued support of Discount Tire! We greatly appreciate that and look forward to helping you with your Bronco as well.

We are still waiting on measurements, but if the brake package allows for it, dropping down to a 16-inch combo shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks to Discount Tire! First of all let me say that I know very little about tires.

But I was running tire numbers this morning. Previous posts here say that Badlands optional wheel has 55mm offset. I assume standard wheel is the same. Maybe. If so, backspace is 6.66". Distance from mounting plate to outside of wheel would be 2.34"

I was looking at Fuel Wheel Vector, 8.5" with a 7mm offset, making backspacing 5.02". Distance from mounting plate to outside of wheel would be 4.48".

So inside of Fuel wheel would be 1.64" closer to the mounting plate compared to the Badlands wheel. So 1.64" of extra clearance laterally. This in my mind says that rubbing should not be a problem.

But the Fuel wheel would stick out 2.15" farther on each side. Is there a downside to the wheels sticking out 2.15" farther? Or any other downside that I don't know of?
Sponsored