MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
A manual and a four banger in a new Bronco, no thank you, that would've been a deal breaker.
Sponsored

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I drove manual vehicles for many many years. They can be fun. But now that I'm older, I couldn't imagine driving a manual transmission again.

Also consider that with a manual transmission any amount of stop-and-go traffic is brutal. So if you DD the bronco and it's not mostly highway I'd steer clear. I still have nightmares of driving my '94 Cavalier manual in rush hour. Absolutely horrendous. Would have loved a manual transmission but couldn't afford one of those at the time.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This manual transmission is the easiest I've ever driven and would be great to learn on. Even stalling it is no big deal as it simply restarts when you put the clutch in. This may be your last chance to own a manual, so if you have an actual interest I would do it.
I agree, the manual in the Bronco is probably the easiest to drive manual Iā€™ve ever owned. Stall it and it automatically restarts, donā€™t give it enough throttle it adds throttle, roll up a driveway slow enough most manuals would stall it adds throttle, etc. I took one of my coworkers for a spin in mine the other day, I missed C and put it in second gear and let the clutch out with no throttle, it did stall but it almost got going.

I was in the ā€œno manual, no Broncoā€ club as well. I do drive in a fair amount of stop and go traffic, crawler gear can be very useful there. I used to commute in Phoenix traffic in a Passat TDI 6MT, I never hated the manual in traffic.

As for the power on the 2.3L, there is no lack of power. I did a full throttle third gear pull from 30-80 with my coworker, once it was in boost it pulled well and still had more to go when I backed out of it. Iā€™m also beating the 17 mpg from the window sticker, hand calced on the last tank was 18.25 mpg.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
A manual in the 2 door and if it base will be fun to drive. If you plan on keeping it base, including the stock and "smaller" tires, the 2.3 and 7 speed will be fine. You can learn to drive manual BUT find a good teacher. I find that even though everyone days they can drive a manual, there is debate on how to drive it properly. I also feel that if MPG is a concern the one trim to get the best MPG if you really drive it properly is the base, stock tires, 2.3 and 7 speed manual. I have read where some get 28-30 on the highway- and I believe it.

If you elect to go with larger tires on the base, I would go with the the 2.7. Or go with Base and Sasquatch- which is what I have- with the 2.7- and love it.

Sponsored

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The Bronco manual two door I drove shifted better than my Focus RS. I enjoyed driving the Bronco in standard form. That being said I was staring down right shoulder rotator cuff surgery. Therefore I went Automatic. Now that I'm in the middle of rehab... hmmm.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered a base 2 door with the 2.7 in Februaryā€™22. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll have to reorder in August but Iā€™m not sure if I should keep the 2.7 or go for the 6speed manual. Iā€™ve never driven a manual transmission before but after watching videos on it it seems so fun. Should I keep the 2.7 for the extra power or go manual?

FF327723-8828-4BBB-ABF0-6718E6F916CF.jpeg
If you commute in stop and go traffic you're not going to like a manual. If this is a second "weekend" type vehicle then by all means get the manual. It is by far the best shifting MT I have ever owned. My wife and I argue šŸ˜‰ over who gets to drive!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ve never driven a manual transmission before but after watching videos on it it seems so fun. Should I keep the 2.7 for the extra power or go manual?
Maybe learn to drive one first before ordering one?

And ask yourself what your Bronco is truly going to be used for? Daily driver? Weekend fun vehicle? Dedicated off-roader?

Might be best to buy an old beater manual to learn on and not a $40k vehicle and having to replace the clutch in a few months. You might like driving it around on the weekend but maybe not so much when sitting in LA traffic. There is also a learning curve for off-roading a manual. Learn to drive one first before making that big of a decision.

Last edited:

Sponsored

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco manual two door I drove shifted better than my Focus RS. I enjoyed driving the Bronco in standard form. That being said I was staring down right shoulder rotator cuff surgery. Therefore I went Automatic. Now that I'm in the middle of rehab... hmmm.
Good luck with the shoulder I hear that sucks!

To OP I always go with the bigger motor and so I am waiting on the 2.7 automatic.
I had a chance to buy a Black Diamond with 2.3 automatic and it has exceeded my expectations. I like to shift gears and love it driving my wifes Mustang GT but you cannot go wrong with the automatic in the Bronco!

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ordered a base 2 door with the 2.7 in Februaryā€™22. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll have to reorder in August but Iā€™m not sure if I should keep the 2.7 or go for the 6speed manual. Iā€™ve never driven a manual transmission before but after watching videos on it it seems so fun. Should I keep the 2.7 for the extra power or go manual?

FF327723-8828-4BBB-ABF0-6718E6F916CF.jpeg
We have a 2 door Badlands with the 2.3 and manual. Absolutely love the power train combo. Especially with the 4.70 gears in the diffs with the 33's, it's very lively and fun to drive. You are shifting a lot, but it's a "slow car fast" kind of fun experience. It's my wife's first time driving anything manual more than around the farm roads, and she picked it up quick and is enjoying it a lot now that she's comfortable with it. The crawler gear is like cheating when in heavy traffic or a Costco parking lot for her, helped instill more confidence faster. And even with some spirited driving and her not trying for economy, we are still averaging 21mpg out of it combined. So far so good, and absolutely zero regrets about getting the 2.3/manual.

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP the 2.7 is a very powerful engine but without a tune that eliminates torque control you will never feel it on the road in the first 2 gears.

The benefit of the 2.3 in my opinion is better winch mounting options aftermarket. You can really tuck that winch into the car.

Also you can get it in manual