Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My opinion is that either the 2.3 manual or 2.7 auto will be fine. I have three other manuals in the garage, so we went with the 2.7.

Personally, neither my wife or I can stand the 2.3 with the auto, so that combo was not an option for us.

Looks like you live in LA, so that also pushes me towards the 2.3 manual since you aren't at any kind of altitude.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never bought the traffic arguments against manuals. You mean I get to use my wiggle stick even more? Sign me up!

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never bought the traffic arguments against manuals. You mean I get to use my wiggle stick even more? Sign me up!
I would agree with you 90% of the time, but on those days when you're in stop and go and you literally move a half a car length at a time a MT can become a real pain in the ass! Thankfully I haven't driven in traffic on a daily basis in over 20 years!

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I too was waffling between the 2.3 manual and the 2.7. I have the 2.3 in my Ranger and it's fine...even with the 10-spd. And by fine, I mean that it's not amazing, but better than average I'd say. I had the opportunity to drive a 2-dr manual off-road, and it never felt underpowered in those circumstances, but ultimately, it helped me stick with the 2.7. The manual didn't really feel that special to me. Obviously, others disagree.

I honestly don't think you'd be disappointed with either powertrain. The only thing that would give me pause is that you haven't driven a manual. Traffic does suck a bit more in a manual (and from what I understand your city is particularly well known for it) but you kind of get used to it.

The last thing that can be overlooked is on the 2.7 you get these additional Rock-Locator Bracesā„¢ welded on (not my photo):
Ford Bronco Which Drivetrain to choose 1659145894472

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I concur my fellow East Texan, except for the center console part! The MT console setup is far superior to the AT console!
I like the wireless charger better on the Auto.

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the wireless charger better on the Auto.
We have the high pkg so no wireless charger. Our Maverick has one though and when I have Bluetooth on streaming Spotify and it's on the wireless charger it gets hotter than hell. Not sure how good that is for the longevity of the phone!šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7L SAS

Never order with the base engine, buyers remorse will haunt you.

The only reason to get the 2.3L is if you want a manual trans and an 8-track.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the Base, the Auto only gives you 3.73 gearing, while the 7MT gives you 4.46. Now your ready to go to roll larger tires with the 7MT, without regearing. Also, the crawl gear is awesome, and since you won't have locking diffs it might come in handy.

I love the 2.3 w/7MT setup I went with. Shifting becomes second nature, and even helps keep you more alert and aware. This is a FUN vehicle, so pop that cherry and get the manual! The 2.3 has plenty of power. Fill 'er up with 93+, throw on an exhaust, maybe a tune - It's going to be easy to get more power out of the 2.3 if you want.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I had to order again it would be a manual. But that also requires lose of left leg and arm for doing activities while driving.

If you like to be part of the truck, manuals a good choice. If more interested in a relaxing ride, looking around, and playing with everything in the truck, auto may be a better choice.

Youā€™ll be happy with either choice.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a manual and want to switch to the auto.
Sure the manual is fun. But for me the auto is much more convenient as I live in the city and the majority of my driving is in traffic. A manual gets annoying quick.
When I do get to go have fun on weekends, I miss the toys the auto has after getting to play with them at off roadeo. Trail turn assist, one pedal drive, and the trail assist cruise control. The only thing the manual has is hill descent control.
And thanks to getting older, sometimes my left knee aches. And having to work the clutch repeatedly in traffic just aggravates it.
Yup. I want to switch to an auto.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ordered a base 2 door with the 2.7 in Februaryā€™22. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll have to reorder in August but Iā€™m not sure if I should keep the 2.7 or go for the 6speed manual. Iā€™ve never driven a manual transmission before but after watching videos on it it seems so fun. Should I keep the 2.7 for the extra power or go manual?

FF327723-8828-4BBB-ABF0-6718E6F916CF.jpeg
I love stick shift vehicles, BUT in the Bronco 2 door (which I have) I think that the 2.7 is the right answer.

All of my sports cars have been manual transmission vehicles. I generally prefer manual transmission vehicles without any hesitation. I probably would have ordered a 2.7 manual if it had existed (and I now believe that would have been a mistake).

Off-Road, the automatic transmission with the 4x4 advanced transfer case is absolutely brilliant. On the street, it is as smooth and always feels as if it's in the right gear (in sport mode).

I have no hesitation recommending the 2.7 with the automatic transmission in the 2 door. I am very pleased with this setup in the 2 door.

EDIT: I would have been more pleased with it had Ford offered the 3.5 Ecoboost in the Bronco or at least allowed the 2.7 to be unleashed in the lower gears.
Sponsored

Last edited: