B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I would like to hear from all you who have or have had one of the 3, the 2.7 V6, the 2.3 truck engine (so ranger owners), or a ford that has the 10 speed auto (10R80). I want to really dig down to what might be the strongest, long lasting setup, I would prefer to get the V6 with the manual, but since that's not possible, it's either 2.3 manual or V6 auto. I want the 2.7 so I was going to try for the auto but after trying to find any issues with the transmission I've noticed a recent trend of people coming forward with major issues with their 10 speed, They will slam into a gear or leak or something similar. My mother in law has had the 10 speed for about 2 months and it already has gone back to the shop to get repairs in the transmission, it wouldn't go into reverse. So I'm hesitant to settle for the auto. So that means 2.3 manual, but for one, it's a brand new unproven transmission so who knows if it will be worse, and I will have to settle for the smaller motor.

So here's my questions:
Have any of you had problems with the gen2 2.7 V6?
Have any of you had problems with the 10 speed? What do you think the failure right for them is?
Is the 2.3 powerful enough to have fun with or is it a bit of a punk motor?
Do you think the new manual will be strong enough for what the bronco can do? and do you think we can push a fun amount of torque above factory safely through them?
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your really asking this in the wrong place, you should look to forums where these powertrains are already in use.

Personally the 2.7L was trash in my personal experience, turbo failure and multiple unfixable oil leaks all within the warranty period. Thank God I didn’t keep it any longer than that.

The 2.3L has coking Issues and requires maintenance levels I’m simply not used to in order to keep the engines from getting carbon build up issues.

The manual looks like it’s going to be made in China which blows reliability out of the water.

The 10 speed should be perfectly reliable though perhaps boring (As are all automatics)

With that said I’m going for the 2.3L engine assuming Ford doesn’t switch gears within the next 2 years and offer a proper sized engine. If not eventually the 2.Slow will be replaced with a 8 cylinder by my own hands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AddDemiGod

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your really asking this in the wrong place, you should look to forums where these powertrains are already in use.

Personally the 2.7L was trash in my personal experience, turbo failure and multiple unfixable oil leaks all within the warranty period. Thank God I didn’t keep it any longer than that.

The 2.3L has coking Issues and requires maintenance levels I’m simply not used to in order to keep the engines from getting carbon build up issues.

The manual looks like it’s going to be made in China which blows reliability out of the water.

The 10 speed should be perfectly reliable though perhaps boring (As are all automatics)

With that said I’m going for the 2.3L engine assuming Ford doesn’t switch gears within the next 2 years and offer a proper sized engine. If not eventually the 2.Slow will be replaced with a 8 cylinder by my own hands.
Was that 2.7 a gen 1 or 2? Are turbos a common failure point?

the carbon issue is a new trend with all gas direct injection engines, My current car is probably developing this issue as we speak, but this can be minimized with a catch can. Because of this issue I was preferring the 2.7 since it is both direct and port injected which will help eliminate the carbon build up.

What is your sources stating that the manual will be built in China?

Did you ever have a 10 speed on your ford? How many miles did you put on it?

I honestly don't care for a V8, I like my turbos.

OP
OP
AddDemiGod

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What? I'm asking where is the info regarding where the transmissions are built? You guys are talking as if you have hard proof that the manual will be from China, I want to see this hard proof rather than going off of hear say and rumor.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was that 2.7 a gen 1 or 2? Are turbos a common failure point?

the carbon issue is a new trend with all gas direct injection engines, My current car is probably developing this issue as we speak, but this can be minimized with a catch can. Because of this issue I was preferring the 2.7 since it is both direct and port injected which will help eliminate the carbon build up.

What is your sources stating that the manual will be built in China?

Did you ever have a 10 speed on your ford? How many miles did you put on it?

I honestly don't care for a V8, I like my turbos.
It was a gen 1 fwiw, my understanding is that they still use plastic for the oil pan which is ridiculous.

I don’t believe turbo failures are common but the fact that the turbo failing can stop the engine dead in its tracks is alarming.

Carbon build up is due to poorly designed engines, my 2017 car has no such issue or history.

Look in transmission forum, evidence is showing the manual being designed in Germany and produced in China - I HOPE I am wrong because the 7 speed is my first choice otherwise.

I’ve shortly driven the newer 3.5TT with the 10 speed and thought it was fine, a lot of money between GM and Ford both went into it, worst case scenario it needs tuning. I also have a couple friends with the 10 speed and I’ve never heard an issue from them.

Im not sure why anyone would prefer a turbo, my 2.7L Ford was replaced with a 5.3L Silverado which gets 3-4 MPG HWY better than the 2.7L. I prefer not to have a Rube Goldberg device powering my vehicle, the less parts to go wrong the better.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The reference for the Chinese manual is being made due to a job posting circulating with the transmission code name for a position in Germany working with production in China. Among other articles stating other clues.
I think being that Ford went with Getrag knowing how well the Chinese Mustang manual turned out isn’t helping worries.

OP
OP
AddDemiGod

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It was a gen 1 fwiw, my understanding is that they still use plastic for the oil pan which is ridiculous.

I don’t believe turbo failures are common but the fact that the turbo failing can stop the engine dead in its tracks is alarming.

Carbon build up is due to poorly designed engines, my 2017 car has no such issue or history.

Look in transmission forum, evidence is showing the manual being designed in Germany and produced in China - I HOPE I am wrong because the 7 speed is my first choice otherwise.

I’ve shortly driven the newer 3.5TT with the 10 speed and thought it was fine, a lot of money between GM and Ford both went into it, worst case scenario it needs tuning. I also have a couple friends with the 10 speed and I’ve never heard an issue from them.

Im not sure why anyone would prefer a turbo, my 2.7L Ford was replaced with a 5.3L Silverado which gets 3-4 MPG HWY better than the 2.7L. I prefer not to have a Rube Goldberg device powering my vehicle, the less parts to go wrong the better.
Well if there is an aftermarket metal oil pan, that could be that issue checked off.

Turbo failure does suck, but it could be an upkeep thing to make them last.

Gas direct injection motors all suffer from carbon build up on the intake valves since the gasoline from port injection cleans the valves during operation.

Well I'm sure that there are a lot of transmissions that come from china now a days, hell the vast majority of things come from there, so just because it comes from china isn't going to steer me away, but I will study it more.

Well from what I've seen and heard, GM is dropping the 10 speed? Do you think it's because of reliability?

I love to tinker and tune vehicles past stock and it's so much easier to squeeze out more horsepower from turbo engines than it is with N/A engines.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AddDemiGod

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The reference for the Chinese manual is being made due to a job posting circulating with the transmission code name for a position in Germany working with production in China. Among other articles stating other clues.
I think being that Ford went with Getrag knowing how well the Chinese Mustang manual turned out isn’t helping worries.
Do you know where the 10 speed is made? What happened with the mustang manuals?

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love my 2018 (Gen2) 2.7 A10 combo. Zero issues so far but I still only have 36k miles on it.

This combo in a 4,200 lb truck is very fun and surprisingly fast, especially in sport mode.

Turn TC all the way off and can light up the tires and do donuts.

BrianBormes

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Powerstroke Bronco, Cummins Bronco, LS Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Getrag manual will hopefully be fine, Getrag has been around forever. Getrag makes everything from diffs in corvettes to transmissions in BMW's and so on. My personal experience with Getrag is my corvette and a 93 dodge. The manual Getrag 360 5 speed used up to 1993 in the dodges was crap though. The bearings were too small and they burnout all the time and the only parts you can get for them now is from china, and they do not last. But on the otherhand the Getrag diff in my corvette has held up just fine so far at 160,000 miles. So I hope their quality is good these days...
Sponsored