Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I should note that Ford can see this even if you don't take your vehicle in for service. The beauty of big brother onboard active telemetrics that the Raptor for sure uses, even if you opt out they can still monitor software and how they of course do OTA updates and what not.

I don't say this to scare anyone away from tunes, clearly by profession I am pro-tune, just to ensure everyone is educated and knows the risks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A battle that anyone fighting would lose. Having been in the tuning world for decades it's rare that a lawsuit would be won when it comes to this type of modification. It's a simple equation, they will say they built the motor to safely tolerate a set amount of power /load and based solely on their fuel, timing, and safety protocols. Thus any modifications stressed said motor and drivetrain or changed / corrupted their programming and data parameters and caused any level of undesirable outcome.

Very hard to win this battle. For those who think they will simply return it to stock and go from there typically data that impacts the ECU is ghosted in the background and can be seen by Ford, typically not the dealer, but there can be flags. BMW often does this (fasta data) and can use the data to deny a claim but typically does not so as to keep their fan base intact, so it's a case by case scenario.

Some aftermarket companies have agreements with manufacturers and allows for some wiggle room. Which is why I ask if Whipple is working with Ford or not.
Good perspective and largely agree.

In this case Whipple is absolutely working with Ford since the PCM has not been cracked.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Good perspective and largely agree.

In this case Whipple is absolutely working with Ford since the PCM has not been cracked.
Good to hear and Ford should give them the seal of approval. Would encourage most folks to purchase no doubt if warranty was not impacted.

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I need to sell a house so I can buy this setup. :LOL:

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Good to hear and Ford should give them the seal of approval. Would encourage most folks to purchase no doubt if warranty was not impacted.
This is where I see a conundrum. Ford is obviously giving Whipple the "keys the vault" (likely literally - encryption keys) with deep access to the PCM. Yet at the same time, they could/likely would deny warranty claims for something perhaps, but in fact actually unlikely related, like a clutch going out or pre-ignition piston damage, etc.

It sounded like Ford was going to offer their own "equivalent" of this, with maybe a bit less power but with warranty. Rumors say they are pushing this out or now won't be offering.

Sponsored

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is where I see a conundrum. Ford is obviously giving Whipple the "keys the vault" (likely literally - encryption keys) with deep access to the PCM. Yet at the same time, they could/likely would deny warranty claims for something perhaps, but in fact actually unlikely related, like a clutch going out or pre-ignition piston damage, etc.

It sounded like Ford was going to offer their own "equivalent" of this, with maybe a bit less power but with warranty. Rumors say they are pushing this out or now won't be offering.
Curious, would love to know more on that. Their tune would tend to be a bit more conservative, but who knows, the 40hp bump the 2.7 got isn't bad for a factory tune. Also enabled some other features so guess we will see.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I asked them directly on this and their response was we use the same testing as Ford, as for the warranty that becomes a dealer discretion

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I talked to someone at ford performance the other day asking when the 3.0 tune will arrive and he said ford is on the fence weather they will do a tune for the bronco raptor or not. It sounds like it was alot of testing and having to jump through hoops like CARB etc. He was pretty clear I shouldn't hold my breath for a factory tune like the 2.3/2.7.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

is the intercooler necessary to run this tune? Together do they add the max performance?

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
is the intercooler necessary to run this tune? Together do they add the max performance?
Intercooler is not required. I've not seen an apples to apples comparison of power with and w/o intercooler.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TurboS957

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford hasn't decided to make a tune for the raptor, in fact they are leaning toward no. As for warrenty, they need to prove the tune caused any issues you may have. I would check with your service manager and make sure they're tune friendly.......some are not.
Something to keep in mind, our Raptors came with Ford Performance tuning with extensive testing, the Bronco 2.3 & 2.7 has Ford tuning. Ford Performance may not anticipate enough value in offering another FP tune for the Raptor.

Gregger

Raptor
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braaaaaptor, 2023 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Something to keep in mind, our Raptors came with Ford Performance tuning with extensive testing, the Bronco 2.3 & 2.7 has Ford tuning. Ford Performance may not anticipate enough value in offering another FP tune for the Raptor.
Ford also worked directly with Whipple to build this tune. Whipple is the only company Ford granted access to so in reality, this is the Ford Performance tune in a round about way.
Sponsored